Bodybuilding and badminton

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by Obito, Mar 7, 2017.

1. Obito

Obito Regular Member

Im curious about is it possible for me to do both things at the same time because I play and train badminton 4- 5 days a week. I lost almost 15lbs and dropped dramatically in strenght. Im a hard gainer, so if I have lost all my gain I will have LCW body which I dont like. I started bodybuilding because I was too skinny. I was only 110lbs at my first start before I played badminton I was 150lbs. I train just to look muscular and fit into clothes. I didnt train to look like a real bodybuilder. Looking alike Lin Dan is my goal.
    Now I lift only 3 days a week and sometime I gotta lift in the morning and play badminton on the evening, but when I do that I feel like I didnt play with my full potentail. Would increasing in calorie intake help me to be able to do that or not? I really dont wanna reduce my badmintons day because the more u train and play the better u will be.

2. Shenvi

Shenvi Regular Member

Badminton animal
    Eat more should be the correct answer, such amount of badminton probably burn a lot of calories. Plus you still lifting (and on the same day of badminton). Your body need not only breaks but also a lot of nutrition.
    Remember to stop when hurt, you do not want to break yourself

Obito likes this.
  3. SolsticeOfLight

SolsticeOfLight Regular Member

Additionally, badminton and bodybuilding are not an outstanding combination. The bulk-up you get from bodybuilding gets in the way once you start playing.

Obito likes this.
  4. Shenvi

Shenvi Regular Member

Badminton animal
    Maybe a bit (well, a lot) of Stretching after the work out. You won't get lcw body very easy, and not without notice beforehand.

Obito likes this.
  5. baronspill

baronspill Regular Member

Train for strength (compound lifts), 1 to 6 reps (3 sets), long rests (3-5mins) between sets. You'll build some muscle but not too much, go for the athletic look. Try more pulling exercises than pushing to help your badminton. Best exercises are the deadlift, pull-up, narrow grip bench press, bulgarian split squat. Make sure you stretch a lot too. Hold static stretches after your workout for 30+ seconds.

Once strong, add some explosive exercises for power, explosive press-ups and pull-ups, really helps with the smash. Squat jumps, jump lunges, fast feet exercises etc for the lower body

Lifting on the day before badminton is going to negatively impact on your performance on court in the evening. You've just got to accept it but think of the long term benefit to your badminton. The ideal would to play badminton before hitting the gym.

Cheung, Shenvi, Obito and 1 other person like this.
  6. MarySmith

MarySmith New Member

Project manager

Overall interesting point of view :)

#6 MarySmith, Mar 22, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2017
  7. realbacon

realbacon Regular Member

It is most important to align your workouts with your goals. If you want a Lin Dan look while playing and improving at badminton, clearly it's possible since Lin Dan exists ;)

After heavy training, it's not surprising that you can't play your best on court. More calories may help and make sure you're not losing any weight. Sleep is something that can't be understated! Getting a proper amount of sleep every day will improve your energy levels and may give you an extra kick to your workout performance.

8. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

IF you lose weight without wanting to, eat more. Try to not make it junk, though.
    Incorporating strength exercises is a great way to improve, and will ultimately make you a better player than using all your time on court. You should find a compromise where you lift 2-3 times a week, doing mainly the strength exercises listed above (PROPER squats, deadlifts, lunges, pulling exercises like rowing/pullups, dips). If you got a really good coach, try to learn good cleans as well.
    On at least 2 days a week, I would prioritize strength, and take the hit on the badminton session - maybe make it a more skill-centered one, if you absolutely have to play, doing less physically intense things.
    As mentioned above, pay attention to your body. If you start picking up little nagging pains or even injuries, take a step back and recover properly. I lost more than a year of real training and progress because I didn't do that and got inflamed Achilles tendons, others are even more unlucky and tear something - be patient and progress will come!

Obito and Gollum like this.
  9. Obito

Obito Regular Member

I got a workout plan from one of fitness trainer. It is mostly exercise for strength (DB press,BP, Dip, Deadlift,Squat and so on). Now, I still play about 4-5 days a week, and work out 2-3 days a week. Someday I lift right after badminton session (I take whey protein before and during for energy and prevent myself from losing too much glucose) It seems working so far.

10. IanLambert86UMz

IanLambert86UMz New Member

It all depends on the person. If you say you've lost 15lbs and dropped dramatically in strength, then you don't have to torture yourself. I think badminton and bodybuilding are too exhausting things for the body. When I first started bodybuilding I was just an ordinary skinny guy who didn't have any muscles at all. It was very difficult for me, but I wanted to achieve results. So I trained every day despite my exhaustion and laziness. However, I didn't lose weight as you did, and even though I felt tired after training but at the same time I was energized for the next workout. In addition, before I started bodybuilding, I read a lot of articles about ectomorphic bodybuilding to be prepared for any difficulties. Therefore, in any case, I advise you to consult with a trainer or better with a doctor.

#10 IanLambert86UMz, Nov 18, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2020