Better racket than Astrox 100ZZ?

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by Khamenman, Jan 1, 2023.

1. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Let us know when you earnt enough to buy the new racquets and the wife wallops your head with them. :D

If she didn’t, you must have secretly stashed away the extra racquets somewhere. Haha

2. Kwarevo

Kwarevo Regular Member

The vertical part is longer than usual racket but the horizontal part is smaller than usuall racket.
    It's quite good and IMO larger sweet spot

3. bambanghiyahiya192

bambanghiyahiya192 New Member

Do you have another account besides here so I can send more detailed photos?

Sent from my M2101K7BNY using Tapatalk

4. Khamenman

Khamenman Regular Member

First, I would like to thank you for your comprehensive reply. I really appreciate it. Yeah, I think you might be right, it would be the perfect potential power racket indeed. It seems there is no racket, at the moment, that is better than 100ZZ. I guess that means I just need to enjoy 100ZZ more then instead of looking for a better racket

alternat0 likes this.
  5. Kaydee

Kaydee Regular Member

if you really want something that feels like the 100zz with more power, then might I suggest the old Voltric Z Force 2?

I can't speak of the Ryugas, the Ryuga 2 especially since it has a free core handle and may not provide that same feedback the 100 can. But in terms of pure power I don't see any racket beating the VZF2. That said I think 100zz wins out in terms of usable power. like CKyew has said. The combination of stiffness, the right head heaviness, and maneuverability mean that the power is accessible for most of the time. Whereas with the ZF2 you only get it when the shuttle is in prime position for a smash. And how often in an actual game do you get that?

I also can't speak of the AX Force 90s, but from reading the specs I would assume that they would be much like the 100zz and the gains in power would be miniscule, if any.

Former 88d Pro, ZForce2 owner, Current 100zz (3 of them) user. Like some here, I have more money than sense and have bought many rackets just to try, with many ending up on the classifieds not long after. I think I've come into the conclusion that I like certain rackets better than the others, and should therefore enjoy them and not be caught up in the latest and greatest.

6. Khamenman

Khamenman Regular Member

Unfortunately ZF2 is not an option for me simply because I don't have anyone still selling it in my area. Yeah, I also watched CKyew video and I agree with his (and your) assessment that 100ZZ is possibly the best out there in terms of accessible (or effective) power.

I would love to reach that point as well, but I think for now I still want to explore other rackets first before settling with 1 racket that fits me the best. Although I hope by knowing what I want will help me in track better. And as it is now, I think the answer is 100ZZ.

On a separate note, I also love Victor Auraspeed 100X, which I think it is also an almost perfect racket, very close to 100ZZ. If only it had more power/head weight and better durability...

By the way, since you said you also have 88D Pro, how do you compare it against 100ZZ?

7. Khamenman

Khamenman Regular Member

The wife knows how many rackets I have, and sometimes she made some comments about it as well, but luckily badminton is a much, much cheaper (relatively speaking) hobby than my other hobbies so she didn't complain as much as my other hobbies. :D

Cheung likes this.
  8. Kaydee

Kaydee Regular Member

It's a good racket. Easier to use than the 100zz, but it just doesn't give you the same punch, it's off by a little bit. And if you like the feel of the 100zz when hitting, the 88d Pro won't give you that.

9. Khamenman

Khamenman Regular Member

Thanks Kaydee for your reply. I think even more than the power, it is actually 100ZZ hitting feeling is what I like the most, with the maneuverability and power come close second.

10. what07

what07 Regular Member

So early 2022 I wanted to rejoin the top 3 big dogs once again. Budget was not really a limit just space so tried all them Yonex and 100zz was my favorite. It just hit all the right spots, 88dpro would be my 2nd choice as it'd a solid performer but I felt it wasn't the power racket I was expecting. It was surprisingly fast, but the feeling was a bit not as crisp as 100zz.

In the end I decided I wanted to look for an Aeroframe with similar spec to 100zz. Settled on Victor Auraspeed Project Black, got a better whip feeling but just a touch less stiff and faster then 100zz and looks pretty slick. But this racket was limited so probably difficult to find to try or even own atm.

The TKFE to me was meh, its a good racket but I didn't feel it was like a big wow, got baited by the badminton-Insight Video tbh so tried it for 2 sessions with a group and ended up selling it off. The TTY TK I felt was much more solid feeling and more punchy. The head is also very large but different shape from the TKFE. It did feel slower then like 100zz/88dpro/TKFE but the solid feeling and power was a good trade off.

pootisfoib, Raju and Khamenman like this.
  11. Kaydee

Kaydee Regular Member

I think the feeling I didn't like about the 88d Pro is the "hollow" feeling when hitting. I believe this has to do with the more flexible shaft. Otherwise it's a pretty good racket.

What I have done with my 3 100zzs are to experiment with strings and tension combo. I've got Nanogy 98 at 27, Exbolt 65 at 25.5, and Aerobite at 25. My fave for more power is the Exbolt, and I might even change them all to the same setup. See if doing it via this relatively inexpensive way can "unlock" your 100zz.

Licin and Khamenman like this.
  12. Khamenman

Khamenman Regular Member

Actually, that is a really good idea! I didn't think about it before.. Seriously, thanks for the insight! I think with this idea I can replace/occupy my mental itch to try new rackets with trying new strings instead :)
    At the moment I am using BG80P. I am interested to see how it feels with the classic BG80, Ex65, and Ex63. Thanks once again.

13. Khamenman

Khamenman Regular Member

After all these time, I finally tried 88DP myself! So yesterday I was playing at my club and I noticed there was a 88DP in the stack of newly strung rackets! I asked if I could try it and my coach/stringer didn't mind.

A few things that come to my mind:
    • Indeed it is not as head heavy as some might think from a head heavy racket. Although on Yonex chart it says 100ZZ is heavier than 88DP, I think they are relatively the same..
    • The feedback feeling is not as crisp and solid as 100ZZ, it's more on the hollow side, but to be honest it's not that bad actually.
    • There is more flex to it, but still stiff enough, which I still like. As the result of having this extra flex compared to 100ZZ, during the impact, I could feel more momentum.
    I can imagine some people like these attributes, it is a very good racket indeed.

14. Khamenman

Khamenman Regular Member

Indeed, that's exactly my feeling after I finally tried 88DP myself yesterday. A very good performer, but not as crisp as 100ZZ. However, I could also feel more weight (punchy?) during the contact, like a pendulum, which I think due to flex-ier compared to 100ZZ, and I can see why many people like it.

Hmm.. I have never heard about this Project Black, sounds cool. I have only tried 100X and I am very impressed with it, almost a perfect racket imo, although it is missing 1 big, crucial factor in my opinion: the head weight/power.
    Regarding TTY TK, isn't it more on the flexible side?

Licin likes this.
  15. what07

what07 Regular Member

Yes its on the flexy side, like between Medium stiff - Stiff but then again all the high end victor rackets are about the same in terms of shaft response and headweight can make some feel stiffer then others. It's kinda a nice thing as sometimes you just want that less demanding racket. To me the Thruster series lacks the whippy shaft imo. Auraspeed rackets seem to have a better whip but majority are not HH.

Haven't tried the new 90k ii yet but it looks promising, just waiting to see if there are any QC issues.

16. NikBaddy

NikBaddy Regular Member

So if you had an option to get zf ii in 4u and 100zz in 3u which one would you pick ? Because that's the option i have with the sellers in my area

17. BadmintonDave

BadmintonDave Regular Member

That's the one I would go with

18. Khamenman

Khamenman Regular Member

Assuming you can handle the weight and the stiffness of 100ZZ in 3U, then go for 100ZZ. I truly believe that 100ZZ is the best racket out there in the market at the moment, assuming you can handle it. For me, I have tried and I know I cannot handle it the 3U version, so I am happy enough with my 4U

19. NickifiedNg

NickifiedNg Regular Member

Isn't there a Voltric ZF2 Pro coming out soon?

20. pootisfoib

pootisfoib Regular Member

Consider the Gosen Gravitas 8.5 SX. On paper it's similar to a 4u ZF2: stiff, head-heavy, compact head.