Better racket than Astrox 100ZZ?

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by Khamenman, Jan 1, 2023.

1. Khamenman

Khamenman Regular Member

As title said, I am looking for a racket that you personally think is better than 100ZZ. Do you have any suggestions?

Background: I am myself a 100ZZ user and I am very happy with it, no complaints whatsoever. I think it has the perfect sweet spot between maneuverability, head heaviness, stiffness, and feedback feeling. It's just like many of you, sometimes I contemplate if there is a better racket (for my liking obviously because everyone has different preference) than 100ZZ.

The criterias I am looking for are:
    • Enough smash power from rear court in doubles, ideally should be (slightly) more powerful than 100ZZ, that's the whole purpose of this thread
    • Fast enough maneuverability (ie not a sledge hammer) such that I can still defend during fast-pace drives in doubles,
    • Have nice feedback feeling like 100ZZ (or close to it),
    • Still on the stiff side as I don't like flexible racket. If 100ZZ had 10 in Yonex stiffness rating, I am looking for something around 8-10 range.
    I have tried Astrox 99 Pro but I don't like it. At the moment I am considering:
    • Ryuga 2 (seems like an all-round racket with slight head-heavy like 100ZZ, but with more flex)
    • Astrox 88D Pro (while I never tried it myself, but I think the consensus is that it's still less powerful than 100ZZ)
    Thank you for your time, really appreciate it

#1 Khamenman, Jan 1, 2023
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2023
  2. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Better buy another four or five 100ZZ.

Licin, Gpower and s_mair like this.
  3. Khamenman

Khamenman Regular Member

For now I have 3 100ZZ, and I might add 1 more, but what's the fun to stick with 1 racket only ;)

4. Khamenman

Khamenman Regular Member

Double post...

5. Budi

Budi Regular Member

If you had 3, why not experiment abit with lead tape on 1 racket. Add abit more head weight to 100ZZ.

Does your 100ZZ 3U or 4U? If its 4U, try 3U but it would be slower for sure as its heavier & more tiring if you not used to the weight.

Other racket are just different. Not better or worst. Changing to head heavier racket for power would cost you some speed. Thats for sure & no one can cheat to it.

6. Khamenman

Khamenman Regular Member

Hmm.. that's fair enough, never thought about it. Is it legal?

I have 2 4U and 1 3U. Indeed, the 3U feels slower and more tiring than the 4U.

True, but that's what I am looking for, a different racket with different characteristics but still within my ideal requirements. If the wisdom of the masses can suggest a candidate/option, then I would love to try it. If apparently there is no such thing, then it's fine, at least I have asked. A head heavy racket with sword frame would cheat that equation (to a certain degree, but now with the cost of stability of course)

7. Budi

Budi Regular Member

I dont see why its ilegal. It doesnt makes you superior in anything but change the racket characteristic by adding more weight to the head & If my memory didnt fail me, Lindan also use lead tape when he is still with Lining.

8. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

This is a good idea. The tape doesn’t have to be added always to the top. You can experiment and add two small pieces at 3 and 9 o’clock position, or 2 and 10 o’clock etc.

9. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

I have been through this too often. If you just want to try different racquets, it’s only limited by your budget and number of racquets that you can keep in storage:)

If it’s about improving your game, I felt getting coached with better techniques and improving my footwork was more satisfying. Definitely not the quick fix though.

Licin, alternat0 and speCulatius like this.
  10. Khamenman

Khamenman Regular Member

Indeed, it's just after 15+ years of training with clubs, combined now with work and family as 2 higher priorities, I don't see myself having enough time and effort to still do proper training. I see myself just a recreational player now. Sure when the stars aligned, I join some training with coach, but realistically that is not my situation anymore.

11. NickifiedNg

NickifiedNg Regular Member

If you wanna venture to other brands. Definitely give the Victor Thruster F Enchanced Version a try. It's honestly one of the best victor rackets currently

12. Khamenman

Khamenman Regular Member

Yes, I have no problem venturing to other brands. In fact, the top candidates that I am interested now are the Fortius 11 Power/Quick from Mizuno. I heard only good reviews about TKFE, however I think it does not have as much power as 100ZZ..

13. NickifiedNg

NickifiedNg Regular Member

I've never had my hands on the mizuno 11s so I can't comment. But yea the TKFE is pretty good. And generates decent power.

14. Kwarevo

Kwarevo Regular Member

If u compare tkfe with 100 zz lack of power and 100 zz stiffer than tkfe.
    Ryuga 1 is the most powerful from Victor.
    Stiffness level is comparable to 100 zz.
    Or lining aeronaut 9000 c

15. bambanghiyahiya192

bambanghiyahiya192 New Member

Help, real or fake?[​IMG]

Sent from my M2101K7BNY using Tapatalk

16. Khamenman

Khamenman Regular Member

Indeed, I think the consensus is that TKFE has less power than 100ZZ, that's why I think I am not going to that direction, although I have to admit all the praise makes me curious to try one.

I have no problem if the racket is not as stiff as 100ZZ, but I also want to avoid too head heavy racket such that it feels like a drag or sledge hammer. Do you have any experience with Ryuga 2? I heard it's user-friendlier than Ryuga 1.

Regarding Aeronaut 9000C, I have a friend who owns both 9000C and 100ZZ and he said don't bother with 9000C, it's less powerful and at the same time the feedback feeling is also worse, not as solid and nice as 100ZZ.

17. Khamenman

Khamenman Regular Member

Due to the picture quality, I can't judge confidently, but I have a feeling it's fake.
    1. I have never heard or seen DW-code. If you are from Indonesia, I am expecting to see SP/IN/IP/TH/JP code, those are the most common code circulating in Indonesia, I think..
    2. Maybe it's just the picture quality, but it looks like the code was written by series of dots instead of a solid straight line

18. Kwarevo

Kwarevo Regular Member

I tried Ryuga 1, IMO it's comparable to 99 pro.
    Too stiff and to HH.
    Haven't tried ryuga 2 yet.
    I don't know why LZJ is back to ryuga 1, it's so hard too play with it.
    But ryuga 1 for single absolutely beast.
    Tried 88dp it's quite similar with tkfe but tkfe is too oval

19. Khamenman

Khamenman Regular Member

Hahaha. Yeah, LZJ is completely on different level than us mortals recreational players :D I guess the reason why LZJ returns to Ryuga 1 is that he finds Ryuga 2 too flexible and not as powerful as Ryuga 1?

What do you mean by TKFE is too oval? How do you compare 88D Pro vs TKFE especially in terms of power and feedback feeling?

20. alternat0

alternat0 Regular Member

My go-to now is 100ZZ. I might not have the same mission as you. I'm satisfied with my 100ZZ, but want to venture to other brands/rackets. Like @Cheung said its a matter of budget, now I'm broke :D

So I got Ryuga 2 and Axforce 90 Dragon. I need to spend more time with both. But here are some initial thoughts, considering your points above...

I got Ryuga 2 because I think it has the most potential for power in the current Victor lineup. From my initial usage, I think it has a larger sweet spot due to its racket head. I feel it's slightly head-heavier than 100ZZ. But power-wise, I don't think it's an upgrade to 100ZZ.
    Maneuverability, I don't think I have an issue moving from 100ZZ to this. Feedback is totally different, I personally think no other brand can match Yonex in this department. Ryuga 2 is definitely stiff, but 100ZZ's stiffness gives me a whiplash, which I love.

Axforce 90 Dragon, for me was really similar to 100ZZ. I think it's because of the racket head shape, slim shaft, stiffness, balance point, they are similar. But again if you are looking for more power, this is not it.
    Some say Tectonic 9, I imagine it will be similar to Ryuga 2.

I doubt the Mizuno's will be of your liking. Hope you prove me wrong.

88D Pro is less head heavy and less stiff, it might produce more power based on your technique. But I went for 100ZZ because it was Yonex' ultimate potential power racket.

To sum up, in my opinion there is currently no "modern" racket that's more powerful, maneuverable, with good feeling, that's better than 100ZZ. Somehow in my mind reading your criteria, you are describing the perfect potential power racket :D

Khamenman likes this.