Best men's singles match to watch for learning and visualization

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by AreYouEvenMad, Aug 29, 2022.

1. AreYouEvenMad

AreYouEvenMad Regular Member

I have an important match coming up next week, so I want to put in some extra time and watch a few matches to get some new tactic ideas, use visualization technique and simply learn from the pros. Can you recommend some good matches for this? What are some of the best matches that you've recently watched?

Preferably from players like Momota, Ginting Lee Chong Wei, Lin Dan, etc. I'm rather small (173cm/ 5ft 8 in retard units) so I think it's best to watch players that have a similar body type (doesnt make sense to watch and try to copy Axelsens footwork if my legs are wayyyy shorter than his :D).

Matches I've already watched so far:
    2018 Malaysia Open Final: Lee Chong Wei vs. Kento Momota
    2011 World Championship Final: Lee Chong Wei vs. Lin Dan (still one of the greatest matches in badminton history)

Thanks in advance for all recommendations :)

2. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    The current mens singles players are very physically strong and fast. Are you near this level of training? :D

I used to love watching Hendrawan and Sun Jun. Both are very clever players. Good matches are Hendrawan against Xia Xuanze. Xia was very attack minded but it’s fascinating to watch how Hendrawan could neutralise Xia so effectively.

speCulatius, Woesi and s_mair like this.
  3. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

Might sound "uncool", but imo it makes a lot of sense to watch some women's singles too - especially looking at the physique and also the current alien-level strength of men' singles players. Also tactially, the women are a lot closer to what mortal players can use in their own game.

I highly recommend TTY vs. Carolina, SF of the All Englands 2020:

Brilliant attacking badminton from both. Highly entertaining.

#3 s_mair, Aug 29, 2022
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2022
    BadmintonDave, speCulatius and Woesi like this.
  4. NickifiedNg

NickifiedNg Regular Member

Honestly I agree that we should be paying more attention to WS when trying to plan out our own game plans.

Because of how physically crazy the top men's singles are right now, where we amateur players are impossible to replicate. Watching top women singles would be more relevant to our physical capacity, their game plans consist of more controlling the opponents instead of playing like LZJ or Axelsen just simply overpowering their opponents.