Bent crosses after tightening the last strings

Discussion in 'Badminton Stringing Techniques & Tools' started by Jan P, Jan 9, 2023.

1. Jan P

Jan P New Member

Hi,
    first post here. I bought a stringing machine a month ago and have strung about 15 racquets since then. However, one problem that I keep encountering is that the cross strings are slightly bent towards 12 o'clock. I always straighten each string before clamping and check it every now and then while stringing. By the time the last few strings are strung, all the other strings are pretty straight. But I have the feeling that the tightening and the slight bending of the racquet changes that on the last strings. Do you have any more tips on how to keep the cross strings straight, other than straightening them before the clamp?

2. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

Which pattern are you using?

3. Jan P

Jan P New Member

I always use the pattern provided by the manufacturer. Mostly the one from Yonex

4. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

You're doing the crosses bottom-up or top-down?

And they are really all straight until you reach the final crosses and then they are all doing the "sad smilie"?

5. Jan P

Jan P New Member

I am doing the crosses bottom-up.

I occasionally hold another string next to it while stringing to see if the older ones are still straight, and they usually are. But when I have finished the racket, the upper half then makes the "sad smilie".

6. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

Understood. Would really be interesting to see a video, at least for the second half of the crosses to determine if the frame is moving inside the supports.

Generally, I found it very useful to have the cross string aligned in a curve towards the previous string before tightening it. Seen here:

The racket comes out of the machine with pretty much straight strings from the start and doesn't need any corrections.

7. Jan P

Jan P New Member

I will try that out. Also, I'll try to make a video of my stringing and post it here. I'm almost positive that the frame moves a bit on the last strings. Because if I tighten the last strings, then clamp at the right position and then release the tension again, the frame shifts slightly downwards, so that the clamp is a bit to high.

8. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

A video would be perfect!

What you can check in the meantime if the top side supports lose touch with the frame once you approach the final 5-6 crosses. This has been reported on many machines and has happened on my Superstringer T20 pretty much every job. So I had to re-tighten them before the final couple of crosses to prevent the frame from moving.

Gupvis and DarthHowie like this.
  9. Jan P

Jan P New Member

I try to do that most of the time, because they definitely lose contact with the frame. However, I am unsure if I make the supports tight enough. I always tighten them so that they just touch the frame, but not much more. Is that possibly too little?

10. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

In general, this is very common so I wouldn't worry too much about it. I always felt that there was some slight movement in the side support mechanics during the job that caused the arms to go slightly outwards. Added by a slight compression of the frame once you get to the top can easily cause the supports to lose touch.

Very hard to tell. They should be tight enough to actually be in touch but they should not cause significant visible deformation.
    As long as the racket comes out in a good shape after the job, I wouldn't start with increasing the tightness there. First of all, just try re-tightening them for the last few crosses in case they really come loose and see if that improves or even solves the original issue.

11. Jan P

Jan P New Member

I have now made a video. Is unfortunately not very fast, because the camera was in the way. Since I have just uploaded the video, it may be that it is not yet available in full quality.

I still have a question: I always start the crosses before I tighten the last two main strings, so I have it easier with the shared holes. Is that ok?

s_mair likes this.
  12. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

That's great, thanks for making the effort. IMO the tensioning process looks fine, I don't see any excessive frame movement in the supports. If I remember correctly, I always did the re-tightening when the tension was still applied, but I don't think this will make the big difference.
    Also, I don't think the final result is too dramatic - there is some bending, but nothing you couldn't fix with your hands in a matter of seconds. But I'm a big friend of perfectionism so I know what is bothering you with that. ;)

Some minor things you can try:
    - Don't use a load spreader at 6 o'clock. The frame is strong there and it only introduces some play in the whole system
    - re-tighten the 6 o'clock support when you tension the second main string (when then tension is still applied). There will be a small gap opening up
    - get the top side supports one hole further down
    - remove that black plastic bit from the 12 o'clock support. That way you can get the top cross string in without the curve
    - measure the total lenght of the racket before and after stringing. This will give you an indication if the head gets compressed (but tbh. it doesn't look that way in the final pictures...)

And what I always like about watching stringing clips: You see new things every single time. Where did you get the idea to have that small piece of scrap string as a "guide" in the top shared holes (see 2:28)? Have you found that it makes threading those grommets noticeably easier?

That is perfectly fine.

speCulatius and kakinami like this.
  13. Jan P

Jan P New Member

Tanks for the fast reply. I will try those things.

And for your question: I found that the guide string pieces make it way easier to for the shared holes. I never need other tools like the string puller or something else. But I tend to forget to put the guide pieces there xD

14. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

Was that your own idea? If so: Respect! :)
    I'll definitely try this myself!

akatsuki2104 likes this.
  15. Jan P

Jan P New Member

I am sure someone else did it before me but I have never seen it in Videos before. I also found that bigger string works besser than thinner (I use BG65 which works fine)

akatsuki2104 and s_mair like this.
  16. kakinami

kakinami Regular Member

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!! I think I know what your problem is!!! But I won't tell you!!!

Sent from my SC-01L using Tapatalk

17. kakinami

kakinami Regular Member

Just kidding!!! I think your ptoblem is the black piece at 12:00. You are using a load spreader plus the black support. Since you are using a load spreader you don't need that black support. It takes up space. Someone else had the same problem. They removed the black support and had more room to clamp the cross.

I never tried the strings in badminton but do it for tennis now all the time. Same concept as you when you weave your crosses you start up or down so when I am doing tennis rackets and I come across a covered hole if I am weaving up, my cross goes under the covered hole and when I come out I go over the covered hole and vice versa. This gives me a hard weave and less movement on my cross. Luckily for the pattern I use on Yonex rackets, when I come across the covered crosses when I go through under the shared hole my cross starts up and out it goes over the staggered holes. Another thing I might do especially with high tensions I would use my grommet grinder and give those covered crosses a quarter turn to make sure there is space for my cross to go through.

I hope I figured out your problem =)

18. kakinami

kakinami Regular Member

I didnt read this, you beat me to the punch!

19. kakinami

kakinami Regular Member

The yellow scraps are under the main so when I weave my cross will start under the covered hole and go over the main, the blue and purple are over the covered hole so when they come out they will be under the last main.[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

20. Canadaguyy

Canadaguyy Regular Member

@Jan P your machine is a superstringer t12 right?