Benefits of 2 vs 4

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Abdullah Ahmad AAK, Oct 8, 2021.

1. Abdullah Ahmad AAK

Abdullah Ahmad AAK Regular Member

I have a partner with whom I want to solidify my partnership, improve coordination etc.

I have watched Indonesian doubles pairs practicing 2 vs 3, or 2 vs 4 before olympics in their stories. So it definitely does serve some benefit.

What exactly are those benefits? I think they would be:

1- Greater coordination. 4 players on other side can easily make you both dance around the court by targeting all empty areas, without worrying about their own empty areas as there aren't any.

2- Learning to kill every shuttle. Since this is the only way you can really score points. No lazy drops or targeting someone's backhand will work here. No flat smashes either when you reach too late to the shuttle in backcourt, as the opponents' net players will drive it down.

3- Greater reactions

Any else?

P.S.

If anyone can link me to some videos/stories of badminton players playing 3vs2 or 4vs2 I would be very grateful

#1 Abdullah Ahmad AAK, Oct 8, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2021
  2. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    2. You don't need to kill every shuttle. It looks that way from the angle that we see on TV but if you look from courtside, the players aren't trying to kill every shuttle. Instead , they are trying to keep consistency and work the shuttle around to create an advantage.

3. Budi

Budi Regular Member

I think the greatest benefit would be faster reaction. 4 vs 2 even if the 4 are just high intermediate, it would be difficult to find an opening as 100% of the court are well covered all the time & the 4 dont even need to running around. So basically each shot would be returned immedietly (no player need to dash or ballet dance to take the shuttle) & the 2 need to react faster, recover faster, & even normalize their position (if they got bad position) faster.

For coordination, i think 4vs2 wont give any benefit. Just play more with your partner & you will know him better & familiar with their habit.