Beginner to Intermediate Racket Recommendation

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by theskywinner, Apr 13, 2018.

?

Beginner to Intermediate Racket for Yonex Mavis 350 Shuttle

Poll closed Apr 20, 2018.
  1. Yonex Voltric 5

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Yonex Muscle Power 29

1 vote(s)
    16.7%
  3. Yonex Duora 77

5 vote(s)
    83.3%
  1. theskywinner

theskywinner New Member

Hello everyone,

This is my first post in the forum. I am a beginner to mid-intermediate doubles player. I usually play clear to the third baseline, when playing from rear court and play smash when playing from mid-court. I have been playing since around 4-5 months, normally all week days.

I am playing with Artengo BR750, which is stringed with yonex BG65Ti and a custom yonex grip (removed artengo grip). It weighs around 102 grams. I think this racket is too heavy for me, because I've started getting pain in my shoulder. I want to move to a lighter racket for beginner to intermediate player that doesn't break the bank.

Based on my research, following are the probable choices according to my playing style and level:
    1. Yonex Voltric 5 FX
    2. Yonex Muscle Power 29
    3. Yonex Duora 77

Request you to please suggest based on your experience, which one of the above is the most appropriate racket for me. Also, if you have any alternative similar to above in mind, please feel free to suggest.

Thanks in advance.

2. Charlie-SWUK

Charlie-SWUK Regular Member

N90 sycophant
    The... third baseline?

Skip the Muscle Power, that line is ancient.

The Duora 77 is pretty popular here, not a bad racket.

As for the Voltric 5FX, there was a huge amount of praise for the Voltric 7 on these forums. If it's a possibility take a look out for that. Or, you could be adventurous; the Astrox 6 and Astrox 7 are pretty new, and should meet your criteria. I've not used them; I use the Astrox 77. I think the frame design is pretty good though.

3. theskywinner

theskywinner New Member

Thanks a lot for your input Charlie. Really appreciate it. Will try out your suggestions.

4. shreyas666

shreyas666 Regular Member

chief mis-information officer
    suffers from frame collapse, duora is the weakest frame in the mentioned rackets imo
    i would go with mp29. its even balanced and is quiet sturdy to survive clashes. its very easy on arms and not as bulky as voltric.

5. theskywinner

theskywinner New Member

Thanks for your recommendation Shreyas. How about Voltric 1DG? I have been recommended that one as well.

6. shreyas666

shreyas666 Regular Member

chief mis-information officer
    1DG is a great racket, very sturdy. Also is very solid. You should actually try it in the shop, just swing all the rackets and take which you should find the best.
    Also, don't spend too much of money on such kind of racket. Your upper limit should be 3000rs .

theskywinner likes this.
  7. Charlie-SWUK

Charlie-SWUK Regular Member

N90 sycophant
    Luckily most people don’t string over 24lbs...

8. theskywinner

theskywinner New Member

Thanks all for your replies. Request you to please confirm if I should go for Voltric 1 DG? Note that I play with Mavis 350 plastic shuttle.

#8 theskywinner, Apr 18, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2018
  9. llrr

llrr Regular Member

Any racquet can be used with any shuttle, although you'll find that feathers will always feel better. I think your choices are pretty good and any of them would be good. You do need to try swing a few even without strings. The head heavier racquets might end up giving you shoulder pain as well. It's not a completely bad idea to try a 4U racquet that's slightly head heavy.

10. theskywinner

theskywinner New Member

Thanks all for your responses. I've finally chosen Voltric 0.7 DG with BG80. I will post some updates after few playing sessions with this racket. :)