Beginner-friendly racket with no price limit?

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by foodtruckfan, Oct 15, 2021.

1. foodtruckfan

foodtruckfan New Member

Hey guys, I'm a beginner who started playing regularly a few months ago. Currently using an 88S Game which is getting a bit beat up, planning to buy a better racket which I can use for a long time as I push into intermediate level. Most suggestions I see here involve starting off with cheap, flexible, easy-to-use rackets and gradually trading up as you get better, but is there anything in the higher-end which is suitable if price isn't an issue?

I'm not necessarily concerned about getting a racket that'll win me the most points in games right now, more something that's fairly easy to use that also incorporates all the new tech improvements in premium rackets (yes I know most of the Yonex marketing terminologies are gimmicks), and which I won't need to swap out as I get better.

Leaning towards something with a bit more power than the 88S Game, while not sacrificing too much defensive speed for doubles.

Thanks a lot.

2. Budi

Budi Regular Member

If you thinking getting an expensive one would upgrade your performance, the answer is not.
    If you insist Yonex had AX77 but still its not quite forgiving for totally beginner.

For new tech... Whatever its gimmic or not, the improvement is not significant especially for beggineer.
    Let say 10% increase power.
    If beginner had 10 point of power, you only gain 1 more power.
    But for pro who had 100 power, the pros will gain 10 bonus. 10 point bonus which is equal to beginner total power.
    So beginner wont gain much bonus to it & not to mention high end require some skill & power to unlock its potential or else its will just burden the player.

foodtruckfan likes this.
  3. Woesi

Woesi Regular Member

You could give the Li Ning Turbocharging 75 (renamed version of Li Ning N9-2) a try.

It is one of the most user friendly rackets out there, offers plenty of power while being quite fast, considering how hard it can hit.

The TC75 doesn't have the "new Yonex tech" but LN rackets are build like a tank when it comes to the frame strength and paint job (with very few exceptions among the upper end rackets), therefore they usually outlive Yonex rackets by quite a margin.

There is a thread with almost 80 pages about it, of you need more convincing;)
    https://www.badmintoncentral.com/forums/index.php?threads/li-ning-n9ii-3u.169998/

foodtruckfan likes this.
  4. Schultzier

Schultzier Regular Member

I have been playing with an old prince smash-it for a year before pulling the trigger on a nanoflare. The Prince was 20-30$ when i got it 10 years ago for my 16-teen badminton practice… back then, my parents had some old aluminium rackets that I played with. The prince was probably 3u but made the training more enjoyable. Fast foreward a little, my old racket limited me a little so I got a nanoflare. This week I got myself an Astrox99 for black friday but it still has to be shipped. The girls in my club use an older 99 (the sapphire one) and seem confident with it when they play.

Maybe the pros could come in here a little but I feel like if you get a good racket, the chances of it limiting you will be slim. You might also save 100$ as you will not have to buy more racquets and you wont complain in the long run.

ps dont be like me and buy a reel of string without testing it first …….

BadmintonDave likes this.
  5. Nicklaus

Nicklaus Regular Member

I had the exact same question: which racket easy to play with for beginner, heading towards intermediate, with no price limit. Well, I spent almost 3 weeks analysing the numbers, reviews, etc. So I’ll share my choice. Please refrain to reply « won’t make you a better player, bla bla bla », I already know that and I agree. I analyse sport goods because I like doing that and spend good money on them because I can.

My choice as been Yonex Astrox 66. Yep, a pink racket !!! Well, this proofs the color scheme was not a criteria :) I played a bit with an old Yonex Nanospeed 9000 type X, and I struggle to make long clears from the back hand. This model is stiff with head light. So I went on the other side of the spectrum with a lighter, flexible, slightly head heavy racket, hence the Astrox 66. I placed my order 2 days ago, so did not have the chance to try it yet. My wish is firstly to boost my clears while I slowly but surely improve my technique (I do not swing the racket head very fast for now). The fact this racket is pink and promoted for girls makes it less popular, but reviews are very positive about how easy this racket is to play with.

PS: I think colors are no more gender specific anyway. White purple and pink look good to me :)

kwun likes this.
  6. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    Beginners will benefit from moderately stiff rackets. Don't listen to the Yonex chart and look for power, those tend to be for stronger player who are able to yield the stiff racket. And don't get into the lighter is better either. a bit of head heaviness will help propel the shuttle forward.

Manx and Dekkert like this.
  7. Budi

Budi Regular Member

In general 4U, medium siff (3 of 5), BP 290-295 would be good for beginner.

do agree with this. Light racket require massive explosiveness in player swing to generate power & thats no beginner or even intermediate lack. So does abit of weight would help them gain more power.

Why not 3U & BP above 295? Yes if you are physically strong to handle the weight but similar to light racket it require greater strength to do initial swing & might slow down your swing much which resulting power loss.

So moderate in all aspect, abit weight to compensate the swing speed which beginner lack but not over weight that burdening player either.

alternat0 and Dekkert like this.
  8. John Xina

John Xina Regular Member

When in doubt: Yonex Astrox 77 or Victor Bravesword 12.

9. MarketWizard

MarketWizard Regular Member

I have the 88s and played a few games with 88s game as one of the guys at my club had it and we exchanged rackets for a while to compare. I have no idea why Yonex decided to keep the "88s" name for their Pro, Game, Tour, and Play product lines because they're completely different rackets compared to the 88s. Even the 88s pro is completely different from 88s. Hell, I found more similarities with the 100zz and 88s than 88s pro.

Anyways my point is, try the 88s. Don't think it's a similar but upgraded racket from the Game. It's not. It's completely different, and I found it to be beginner, intermediate, and advanced player friendly. And if I'm not mistaken, it's the most widely used racket in the bwf and I see a ton of people using it from all different levels at the club. There's a reason why, and it's not because they're trying to mimic their favorite player. Most people I know (even decent players at the club) can't even name 2 current professional badminton players.

10. BadmintonDave

BadmintonDave Regular Member

Do you play in any clubs? Maybe some people there would let you warm up or have a few hits with their racquets (do covid precautions and handwashing etc if they say yes).

Also some sports shops might let you demo racquets.

My progressing over the years playing doubles at intermediate and now advanced level led me more towards head light and stiff racquets. But everyone is different and you might gel better with medium or hi-flex racquets.

Perhaps you could not change your racquet and work on your reaction speed and technique if your defensive speed needs improving?

11. pootisfoib

pootisfoib Regular Member

Arcsaber 7 pro, Bravesword 12, Auraspeed CY, Tectonic 7.

12. Baddyman#1

Baddyman#1 Regular Member

Nanoflare 700
    Bs12
    Astrox 77
    Kawasaki k9
    Arc 7 pro

13. KBM424

KBM424 New Member

Добрый день! Я своих детей забрала (играют 1 и 2 годика), может вам подойдет!? Yonex Duora 6 и подкладка 600b. Аэрозвуковая струна, натяжение: 19-20 и 21-23 фунта

14. KBM424

KBM424 New Member

Good afternoon! I picked up my children (they play 1 and 2 years old), maybe it will suit you!? Yonex Duora 6 and Lining 3d Calibar 600b . Aerosonic , tension : 19-20 and 21-23 lbs

15. Zoap San

Zoap San Regular Member

The new Lining Halbertec 8000. My friend bought it and is raving about it non-stop.
    Victor 100X or Hypersonic
    Yonex Arc Saber 7 pro or Astrox 77 (pro/tour)