BCA INDONESIA Open 2017 : Round of 32 - Quarterfinal (13th-16th June)

Discussion in '2017 Tournaments' started by CLELY, Jun 12, 2017.

1. Yoji

Yoji Regular Member

They actually start most of the matches at 3pm - That is madness. How to finish 40/39 matches. They should start it at 10am!

2. drmchsraj

drmchsraj Regular Member

Which is why im double positive I'D WIN OVER LD muahaha! :)

titionthewall likes this.
  3. necrohiero

necrohiero Regular Member

Student
    I agree to that too. Eventhough, Ahsan never really returned to his best after his back injury.

Still. I disagree to PBSI reckless decision.

4. necrohiero

Student
    My god.. what a colorful round of tournament.. cool..

5. necrohiero

Student
    Sorry double post

6. drmchsraj

drmchsraj Regular Member

Was it the same case last year too?
    Probably because they want everyone to finish work early and have a chance to catch the matches? Especially during the holy month.

7. drmchsraj

drmchsraj Regular Member

Was it the same case last year too?
    Probably because they want everyone to finish work early and have a chance to catch the matches? Especially during the holy month.

8. CLELY

CLELY Regular Member

Day of upsets saw two top-seeds found their finish line early in this windy stadium, defending champion Matsutomo/Takahashi lost two straight-games to the reunion pair Huang YQ/Yu XH with 7-21 / 20-22. The unseeded Chinese duo are barricaded by three Japanese combination in their quarter of draw. Other favourites in this category, Pedersen/Juhl, two Korean leading ladies, China youngsters Chen QC/Jia YF sail to next round. At the adjacent court, local heroes Gideon/Sukamuljo disappointed homeground fans, defeated by Danish number three Astrup/Rasmussen, the world number one looked shaky and couldn't read their opponent gameplan well.

Danish qualifier Emil Holst shocked current IND Superseries champion and his more illustrious younger compatriot Viktor Axelsen in three games. Title-holder Lee Chong Wei proved his world class status, he had difficult times against home hopeful Tommy Sugiarto, trailed behind 12-16 then 13-17 at deciding game, the Malaysian iconic shuttler turned the tables to seal the match, 21-18. The in-form Chen Long downed German inspiring player Marc Zwiebler, 21-14 / 21-14, the Olympic Champion will be challenged by home darling Jonatan Christie, INA last man standing in this discipline as Anthony Ginting couldn't repat his stellar performance in Sudirman Cup recently, lost to Indian H.S.Prannoy. Ginting failed to force rubber games despite managed healthy leading, 17-11, credit to Prannoy who grabbed 9 consecutive points and brought him to second round. China suffered big blows when their two players scored first round setback, two0time Olympic Champion Lin Dan continues his bad result in INA Open, this time lost to TPE promising star Wang Tzu Wei despite Lin made good comeback, down 11-19 to 18-19 but it's not enough to stop Wang prevailed. Also Tian Houwei couldn't maintain his consistency in third game when Angus Ng Ka Long came back from behind to book last sixteen spot.

ROUND OF 16 (01.00pm) => https://www.tournamentsoftware.com/...3A06FB-E57B-487D-8866-ADC83F07997F&d=20170615

9. Forestal

Forestal Regular Member

LOL, that makes at least 2 TPE players (the other being Tai Tzu Ying) that CHN fans wished they had... but would have never made it to/ through the set up/ "selection" of their national coaching system.

Backhand smashes/ returns are absolute HERESY in the CHN system of badminton!

10. Forestal

Forestal Regular Member

Too bad we won't be able to see this interesting match-up: Chan/ Peck play Left-Right like MD vs the old combo of Chan/ Goh who play Front-Back, and Lu/ Huang have a terrible time dealing flat pushes and crosses below the net...

If Peck improves to the level (but not the style) of Goh, Chan will have a new competitive XD partner-- cos he won't be constantly under pressure to stay and cover the back court... shorter XD male players like Zheng Siwei tend to run into consistency issues when forced to play front-back constantly.

11. Forestal

Forestal Regular Member

"IS" or "WAS"?

No one is denying their past achievements, which is fully reflected in their world ranking-- we are talking about or anticipating their future performances...

Don't be like the salty LD fans-- always crying out how much he has achieved in the past, whenever his current performance is being critiqued.

12. Forestal

Forestal Regular Member

It's more like a "courtesy/ publicity" appearance to home fans-- even Natsir appeared despite not being at her best...

I mean, if you are already in the process of doing physio/ recovery, then why not do your "training" in front of your home fans?

LD also attended the CHN SS while recovering from his knee injury, where he famously lost to Srikanth.

P.S. Ahsan's mission now is more likely "bringing out/ up" the rookies than winning tournaments, sometimes it's sheer luck whether you can find the right combo in doubles pairings-- which is why consistently performing doubles players are just as rare as (if not rarer than) consistently performing singles players...

#332 Forestal, Jun 14, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2017
  13. Yoji

Yoji Regular Member

I think the future will be tough for Kevin/Gideon. I mean once a player gets injured thats the worry .

I am not sure if Kevin is better with his speed or Hendra is better. I mean Kevin surely has more titles at his age than Hendra?
    No doubt with 6 SS already, he will catch up to Hendra 18SS titles?

14. Forestal

Forestal Regular Member

LOL, just saw the most leisiurely raquet change in MD from Sozonov when watching the replay of his match against the Danes-- when you have the reach and court coverage of the Russian MD, I guess you might even have time to choose the color of your hand grip....

But I guess most players have figured out that controlling the net is what will win you matches in this stadium... so many bad lifts/ clears coming from almost everybody.

15. Yoji

Yoji Regular Member

Axelsen with 3 Straight SS 1st Round exit. Unexpected from the 8x SS Finalist (2 Victors).

Lack of motivation?

16. samkool

samkool Regular Member

too pre-occupied to work
    you are getting way ahead of yourself. a lot will depend on his future partner. i don't think he will win 18
    1. it's not that easy: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_badminton_players_with_the_most_Superseries_titles
    2. you cannot predict future injury.
    3. other teams have figured them out already.
    4. kevin is 20 and will have to switch partners eventually because his current partner is 26 so age & future injury recovery speed will be a factor.
    5. kevin's style of play is not easy on the body.
    6. do you think kevin will be able to carry his future younger partner right away?
    7. do you think kevin's future partner will be able to step in without skipping a beat?
    he has 3 more years to catch up w/ markus because markus is done after tokyo 2020

17. Yoji

Yoji Regular Member

Yes. Markus will be done after 2020. Kevin is the face of Indonesia badminton. For no.3 , I think anybody can figure anybody kind of play really dont matter.

For 6-7, I think he could have double digit SS before Markus retires. Then why not think if there is stronger partner than Markus. If Ahsan is born in the same generations with Kevin, i think they will be more deadly than Kevin/Markus. And also, why not think other pairs who are of same age (Goh/Tan, Li/Liu, Kam/Son) They also can get injured and partnership will be disbanded.

What is more important is, as a player, you achieved that many SS ( especially in MD which imo is really competitive all are really equal), you need to carry yourself in the field, make opponents feels they are inferior because they have less SS titles) This is why when LeeYongDae is young he wins many titles already, everytime he stepped on the court, its easy for opponent to feel inferior.

so only number 2&5 that is the factors.

18. Maurice MJC

Maurice MJC Regular Member

Not too surprised by the loss of the top seeds in MD and WD.

= Danes coach have video reviewed and analyzed the indos' game for sure. Matches will never be as easy as they were in their winning run at the beginning of the year.

=Takumatsu again under-performing at the first sight of any serious challenge.. There is a real lack of drive, hunger when you see them on court nowadays.. which is understandable after they have achieved so much in the past year. I think it would do them a lot of good to actually drop a few rankings places to give them some motivation again. (They will actually lose their number 1 ranking if the Danes WD gets into the final, making Pedersen and Christina n1 for the very first time!). Fukushima hirota and Yonemoto in comparison have that "hungry for blood" attitude on court which sprung their good results this year (including against Takamatsu)

= Pleasantly surprised with Ravij Ouseph in his nail bitting match against Tanongsak. He really held his nerves and kept the control of the net. Good show of skills. TZW as well although we have seen very good performances of him in the past.

= Disappointing by Axelsen, looked very very insecure in that deciding game against his compatriot. Not sure where his mind is.

= Still cannot believe Watanabe/ Hayakawa lost that match... 5 match points for heaven's sake -_-

= Watanabe/ Higashino vs Chinese top XD will be a good match. Higashino has looked amazing as a front player ever since the sudirman cup, enough to rivalize with Chen who is ordinarily superior to all other female front court player.

= Most of the matches I want to see are on Court 3 :(

19. Baddyforall

Baddyforall Regular Member

Yesterday, srikanth's match was on court 3. But somebody uploaded on YouTube. So, there is some recording going on court 3.

Sent from my SM-G600FY using Tapatalk

20. Sundis

Sundis Regular Member

Watching and playing badminton
    Hopefully Srikanth can win today.

Vijay P. likes this.