BC World Championship Title Defence

Discussion in 'World Championships 2010' started by abedeng, Aug 27, 2010.

1. abedeng

abedeng Regular Member

Occupying Tall Buildings
    After a combined total of 33 hours on the road (which involved using no roads whatsoever), I have finally reached Paris, in time for my, err, title defence of the BC World Championship Crown. Of course, now minus my sidekick Avataar who is busy sweating it out to make the Commonwealth Games facilities get up to scratch. No problem, my challenge this time should be stronger with a younger, err, partner in the form of Thom_bad ...... wakakakaka.

But first, the journey. It all started at 2:00 pm on 25 August (Paris Time) at the KLIA LCC Terminal. The first leg was a short hop to Changi International Airport Singapore. All went well, other than the fact that by taking an evening flight, my breaking of fast was delayed almost an hour.

Had a 4 hour layover time in Changi, which is always fine when the Emirates Lounge is available. Spent my time eating free food and seeing one after another of the Malaysian challenges bite the dust in the round of 32 on the livescore. Also got to see some good matches courtesy of totalsporttv.

Pics here:
    AK715.jpg

The first leg - KL to Changi

Changi Bank.jpg
    Banking over Singapore Airspace

Changi Moon.jpg
    Nice moonlit night at final approach

Changi Welcome.jpg
    Welcome to Singapore - for 4 hours visit anyway

Emirates Lounge.jpg
    The Emirates Lounge, where you get pampered by Stewardesses

2. abedeng

abedeng Regular Member

Occupying Tall Buildings
    The Flight to Europe

The flight to Dubai took off in the early hours of 26 August local time (7 pm, 25 August Paris Time). This was probably the most enjoyable leg of the flight, because I was very well fed. :D Very important considering that I will have to undergo an unprecedented 20 hours of fasting from 1 am to 9 pm (Paris Time). In fact the crew of stewardesses tended to wake me up often to ask if I need more ...... must be my legendary prowess in, err, collecting Skywards frequent flyer pts.

The only think I didn't like about the flight was that during the Colombo stopover, we needed to stay seated for 75 minutes doing nothing while other passengers disembarked. Boring ....... :eek:

Then, it was time to observe a monument of gigantic proportions. Yup the mere size of the A380's wings is enough to drawf other aircraft, B747 included. This was to be my flight to Heathrow London.

EK349.jpg
    My flight to Dubai

Dubai Dawn1.jpg
    Dubai Dawn2.jpg
    Nice scene at dawn in Arabian airspace

Dubai Welcome.jpg
    Welcome to Dubai - was only there for an hour

A380 Wing1.jpg
    A380 Wing2.jpg
    The huge wings of the A380, outside and inside

A380 Mountain1.jpg
    A380 Mountain2.jpg
    Over the mountains of Europe

A380 Flaps.jpg
    The A380's huge flaps in action at Heathrow

3. abedeng

abedeng Regular Member

Occupying Tall Buildings
    On Rail to Paris

Finally, it was time to stop contributing to air pollutants, and move to a more environmentally viable reason for transport. Since BC World Champions are neither recognized nor funded by their respective country associations, I took the cheapest option to London St Pancras Station, by legally going Underground. The Piccadilly Line took just over an hour to reach the Station.

I did spend a good 3 hours in St Pancras, time well spent on stocking up food items, purchase of T+ Metro Tickets from English-speaking Eurostar staff (although they are more expensive than in Paris), and some souvenirs to support London 2012 Olympics. Maybe I could be a BC Olympic Champion one day ...... :p

The Eurostar trip was uneventful, in fact downright bland. I fell asleep for most of the journey.

From Paris Nord Station, armed with the T+ Metro ticket, I easily found my way to Metro Line 4 to Porte D'Orleans, and reached my, ahem, training base at 11 pm on the 26th.

Total travel time was just over 33 hours.

Heathrow Welcome.jpg
    Welcome to Britain - Terminal 3 Heathrow

Piccadilly Line.jpg
    Going Underground to Escape Paying Too Much

St Pancras1.jpg
    The Facade of St Pancras International Station

Kings Cross.jpg
    The Adjoining Kings Cross Underground Station

St Pancras Clock.jpg
    The Giant Clock of St Pancras

St Pancras London2012.jpg
    London 2012 Souvenir Shop

Paris Base.jpg
    BC World Champion Training Base - quite a few BC Forummers stay here

4. abedeng

abedeng Regular Member

Occupying Tall Buildings
    Will update on the q-finals and semis action later. Now there is an urgent need, to go sightseeing and then off to the stadium.

5. george@chongwei

george@chongwei Regular Member

enjoy yourself there!;)

6. george@chongwei

is the emirates lounge open for everyone who took emirates?;)

7. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    oh man. i so feel that i should've joined you for the weekend!

8. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

cool...thanks for sharing, Abang Din!:cool:
    33 hrs combined travel time just to watch the last 4 days of competition?..and before traveling back home with the same amt of time??:eek:..truly dedicated!..
    btw, why not travel straight to Paris instead of embarking in London and then taking a train to Paris??..

9. george@chongwei

Abedeng wants to experience EUROPE;):cool:

10. abedeng

abedeng Regular Member

Occupying Tall Buildings
    You should have. Your big bazooka would have come in handy to take close ups of the action. Anyway, here's next year's date for you. August 8-14 at the new Wembley Arena, London. The 2011 WC organizers have come up with a catchy phrase "Prepare Yourselves". So I suggest you take their advice and make travel and leave plans now.

Hmm, didn't I mention that BC World Champions are neither recognized nor sponsored by the respective associations? I always aim to spend the least amount of moolah in badminton travels.

George, you are really "getting old" and forgetful. I travel to Europe at least 3 times a year, mostly company funded, of course. This is already my fourth trip and I have 2 more to go.

11. abedeng

abedeng Regular Member

Occupying Tall Buildings
    Only for First and Business Class + Skywards Gold members. That accruing travel mileage now.

12. abedeng

abedeng Regular Member

Occupying Tall Buildings
    Quarter Finals Day ......

...... started with Thom_bad going out of his way to offer his, ahem, services as interpreter, tour guide and "sparring partner" to me. We met at my hotel at 8:30 am, and proceeded for a quick tour of the Montparnasse and Luxembourg Gardens.

Luxembourg1.jpg
    Luxembourg2.jpg

Pictures at Luxembourg Gardens, Thom_bad is shown in the first picture, white shirt with back to camera.

From Montparnasse, we went back to Porte d'Orleans and travelled on the tram to the Seine Riverbank at Pont Du Garigliano. With a bit of time, we decided to walk the 2 kms to the Stadium instead of taking the bus.

Tram.jpg

The tram that took us to the bank of the Seine

St Cloud.jpg

Porte De Saint-Cloud, where the Stadium is located nearby

Seine1.jpg
    Seine2.jpg

Views of the Seine

Seine Eiffel2.jpg
    Seine Eiffel1.jpg

The Eiffel Tower could be clearly seen from here

13. abedeng

abedeng Regular Member

Occupying Tall Buildings
    The Stadium ......

..... is as compact as Stadiums go. Compared against Gachibowli Stadium, it has been compressed by a good 25 per cent while still keeping to similar max numbers of spectators. But unlike Gachibowli, Stade Pierre de Coubertin does not have it's own external compound that could be used to house sales booths, canteens etc. Everything has to fit into the tight crevice. Parking is at a premium.

Pictures Outside The Stadium:

Stade VIP Parking.jpg

VIP Parking Lot Kerbside, only for Service Vehicles

Stade Broadcaster.jpg

The reason why you get to enjoy those live broadcast streamings, backed up by 2 X 400 KVA power

Stade BWF Banner.jpg

Yonex and BWF's top posterboy, Malaysia's mentally-challenged hero

Stade Official Entrance.jpg

Officials and Media Entrance

Stade Players Entrance.jpg

Players Entrance

Stade Spectator Entrance.jpg

Spectators Entrance

We did get to briefly meet Tarek (syaoran_style) and exchanged some news before proceeding to the stadium for quarterfinals action.

14. abedeng

abedeng Regular Member

Occupying Tall Buildings
    More on the Stadium

Such compactness extends not only to the stadium, but also to the roads leading to it. Organizers had to use minivans as official transportation as they are more efficient at unloading human cargo fast. Some players and official opted to walk if they stayed nearby. On semifinals day, I passed Zhang Jun, Zhang Ning and Zhong Bo on their way to coach their charges to a high successful semifinals campaign.

As for the ticket booth, there is only one booth in operation, which resulted in traffic jams among crowds wanting to purchase at last minute. This is just the excuse needed for ticket touts to start operations there.

Stade Transport.jpg

Official BWF Transport

Stade Ticket.jpg

Ticket Booth - One one of 'em

Stade Crowd2.jpg
    Stade Crowd1.jpg

Crowds inside and outside the stadium

Stade Scoreboard Screens.jpg

LCD screens showing the state of the draw for all disciplines

Stade Yonex.jpg

Extremely crowded Yonex booth, had to position the camera high just to take this

Stade Snack.jpg

One of two snacking booths, luckily I don't need 'em during fasting month

Stade Souvenir1.jpg
    Stade Souvenir2.jpg

One of two official souvenir shops - where I bought my BC World Championships title defense shirt

Stade Prepare.jpg

Prepare Yourselves - if you don't want to miss the next World Championships in London!

15. abedeng

abedeng Regular Member

Occupying Tall Buildings
    For the Malaysian Fans - Before the MD Finals

This is especially for the Malaysian fans. Just to let them know that a lot of effort had been expended, and that whatever the result of the final, the MD players deserve commendation. Especially Tan Boon Heong. Almost got himself injured in the quarterfinals, fortunately Coach Pang told me that it was only a muscle strain.

Stade MASFlag.jpg
    KooTan1.jpg
    KooTan2.jpg
    KooTan3.jpg
    KooTan4.jpg

16. abedeng

abedeng Regular Member

Occupying Tall Buildings
    OK, more later. Now is time for shower, and more sightseeing before the finals.

17. george@chongwei

can i follow you on your next trip?:p

18. abedeng

abedeng Regular Member

Occupying Tall Buildings
    The Finals Day .....

..... was finally when I got to link up with fastdrop. Thom_bad, fastdrop and I had a mini BC picture taking together with help from one of the officials on duty. Maybe Thom_bad would post it to this forum soon.

It was a very pleasant atmosphere although people were jostling to get the best view. Supporters from Indonesia and Malaysia, with additional assistance from the majority of the crowd in general, did a huge battle against the substantial Chinese cheering squad (probably around 15-20 per cent of the crowd). During the last match of the day, the Mexican wave made its presence felt in the packed arena.

But as fate would have it, the crowd battle was the only battle that we won, as China deservingly wrests all 5 titles for only the second time since Beijing 1987. And as fate would duplicate too, the tightest challenge came from the Malaysian MD duo, just like Razif/Jalani Sidek 23 years ago. But having said that, Malaysians and Indonesians can be proud of the efforts of their finals representatives. Not many are willing to predict that these players would even reach the final based on the past year's overall performances.

Stade GillClark2.jpg
    Gillian Clark and Ian Wright's commentary position, above and to the left of the BWF Logo. And hey, look! They have a fan to cover their backs.

Stade Band.jpg
    And the Band played on.

Stade Press.jpg
    This is the press area, hidden among the crowd sections. And yes, they have fans to cool off too.

Stade Crowd3.jpg
    Stade Crowd1.jpg
    Stade Crowd2.jpg
    Such crowd intensity, just look at the pics!!

Stade INA.jpg
    The Indonesian section of the crowd

Stade CHN2.jpg
    Stade CHN1.jpg
    The Chinese sections of the crowd, sorry about the dark pics - no flash photography

19. abedeng

abedeng Regular Member

Occupying Tall Buildings
    I didn't take so many pics of the action, what with the limitations of a non-bazooka activated equipment.

But here are some of the more memorable pictures of the day.

Stade Podium.jpg
    What they were fighting for, to reach the highest step of this podium

Stade ZB.jpg
    No prizes for guessing who is the happiest winner of the lot!

Stade WL1.jpg Stade WL2.jpg Stade WL3.jpg
    The most graceful winner of them all, compensates somewhat for lack of cuties ...... wakakakaka.

20. jimbo

jimbo Regular Member

Thanks for sharing the "side news" + photos... Hope U enjoy ur trip there.... may be next time bring a DSLR camera... that may helps, hopefully :) cheers...