BC gathering at the Singapore Open 2004

Discussion in 'Singapore Open 2004' started by kwun, Nov 2, 2004.

?

will you be attending the Singapore Open live?

Poll closed Nov 15, 2004.
  1. I will be there during finals

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. I will be there during semi-final

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. I will be there during quarter-finals

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. I will be there during earlier rounds

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. I will not be attending the Singapore Open

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    Janet and I will be attending the Singapore Open this year. we are planning to arrive on Friday and leave on Sunday. as there are many members from Singapore and surrounding areas, i propose we all sit together, chat about badminton, and lastly but not least, make a lot of noise cheering for our favorite players.

and we will corner JR, TL and whoever else in the Danish team and have them sign autographs for us or cheer along with us. :)

2. hcyong

hcyong Regular Member

Software Engineer
    I'll be there. Bought a season ticket.

3. hdson

hdson Regular Member

kwun, could you ask Loh to arrange the gathering?

4. zzaarr

zzaarr Regular Member

Welcome to S'pore

Hi Kwan,

Welcome to S'pore. Do you plan for any game session while you are here :) , I can see that your schedule is quite tight :eek: .

5. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    i dont he wont be able to have a game.. he have other relatives with him as well. or maybe he can ... :) anyway what say you kwun.

6. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    hello, i am not sure what exactly our schedule will be like, but i do know that it will be tight. :)

i wouldn't mind some badminton if there is some available, will there be groups who are playing during that weekend with the ongoing Singapore Open?

7. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    Loh? you have been volunteered. :)

there are some logistics that we need to figure out, i have seen pictures of the SIS in previous years. there seems to be some empty spots. how do we ensure we can get our own seats for all the BC'ers? may need more volunteers to get there early to camp out for the space ahead of time.

we also need identifcation for the group. a flag of some sort? i will try to make the banner. but the flag will be much more noticable.

we also need to get a poll of number of ppl going to the singapore open.

8. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    i have created a poll. if you are planning to attend the Singapore Open, please respond to the poll...

9. tama-aki

tama-aki Regular Member

Grad student
    Coming....

Bought season ticket and will be there for sure--well after work anyway. If you want to play on the Saturday morning, I have some Indonesian friends I play with 10-12 a.m. in west of Sg. We play mostly doubles though and waiting time could vary depending on how many courts we can book.

Aki

10. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Calling All Singapore BFers Attending Singapore Open

As you have noted, Janet and Kwun will be visiting us during the last few days of the S'pore Open, namely on Fri,19 (maybe), Sat 20 (Semis) and Sun 21 (Finals, normally played in the afternoon) before they fly off on the same evening, I hope.

Are you all keen on making it a memorable visit for our dear "newly-wed" couple, especially during their attendance at the SIS for the matches. If you are interested in joining the fun, could you please PM me with your ideas and be present at the SIS to block off the seats (since it is free seating) so that we can all group together under the 'banner' of Badminton Central.com and be counted.

Objective: To create a lot of noise and fun and publicise our BF image.

How to achieve our aims:

1. Make coloured flash cards of reasonable size containing the letters of our BF name as suggested above. This is to take the place of a long banner which may not be practical because of size and cost. Size should be manageable, like foolscap size, which can be carried and put into our backpack. Depending on our numbers, a BFer can carry and display maybe three letters, joiined together with tape and foldable.

2. Fun Noise. Apart from our own vocals, we should either bring along noise making contraptions or make them ourselves. Some of you may still possess the musical hangouts given at National Day Parades like the hand drums, whistles, 'tok-tok', etc or some can make horns out of coca cola cans, etc. that can really attract attention and allow us to take off without restraint.

3. Vocals Some of you may be good composers and can coin a zippy tune with catchy lyrics, easy to learn and memorise. This is to provide variety. Or you may be able to come out with a short BF song, recorded with piano or guitar accompaniment which we can learn and reproduce on the spot. :D

4. Dressing & Headgears This is holiday time for most students. Christmas is around the corner. Dress to Kill, man. Let loose! Make your own costume. Decorate yourself with colours. How about a headgear made in the shape of a shuttlecock, or one with net and real birds? Or make a dress which you always dream about and create fashion at the SIS! We should have a badminton fashion competition on this and each of us has to appear in our own creations for the Finals! :)

5. A Friendly Game among ourselves: Maybe tama-aki can be the co-ordinator for this on Sat morning, 20 Nov. I don't expect matches in the morning for the semi-finals, probably in the afternoon. Then Kwun and Janet can also join us, together with 3 other BFers from Brisbane and NZ for whom I have booked season tickets. I'm sure ants from Malaysia would also like to participate. It's perhaps the right time for Singapore and M'sia BFers to meet and get to know one another.

What do you say PoseidonLee, Chinadoll, Nauknip, charade99, Fook90, Spacerooster, hcyong, hdson, zzaarr, ants and all others from here and Malaysia who may be watching the Open? Your friends are welcome to join us especially at the SIS.

Do let me have your suggestions, feedback, etc, asap. We have about 2 weeks to get things organized. :p

#10 Loh, Nov 4, 2004
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2004
  11. FEND.

FEND. Regular Member

Full Time Badmintoncentral.com/forums camper. Part
    Guys be sure to wave real big banner, get media attention get on TV somehow if you can :p :p I'd like to see you guys on TV if I get the coverage on Astro.

12. crazy_smasher

crazy_smasher Regular Member

"newly-wed"

"newly-wed" ???? Really?

13. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    FEND, why don't you ask your mom to come to S'pore so that you can also join us? As I recall, your mom is also a badminton fanatic! ;)

14. zzaarr

zzaarr Regular Member

A game session on Saturday morning would be nice, as the semi-finals is suppose to start at 2pm stated in the web site.

15. FEND.

FEND. Regular Member

Well there's a slight problem. I finish my last O'level paper on that friday itself 19th of November. Next problem is that we're kinda tight on money as we're migrating to Australia on the 1st of December. If it wasn't for the exams and the migration probably I'd stand a good chance of going :D . But now probably not.
    I would also feel bad asking mom to fork out cash just to go and stuff. You know that feeling.

Anyways I'll see, probably who knows? After that last paper I could probably be flying to Singapore on the evening flight?? :D :D . Anything can happen right.

Edit Bit : If I want to pay for my own, I'd have to get SGD$500 and also extra $$$ for the hotel and stuff. Probably next year or something, but it's a shame to miss it. When I start making my own $$$, then I'll fly over :D

#15 FEND., Nov 4, 2004
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2004
  16. FEND.

FEND. Regular Member

Unless offcourse one kind samaritan from the forum is willing to sponsor me a flight and a hotel room :D:D:D:D for the duration of the tourney :D

17. feizhu

feizhu Regular Member

Botanist
    Hi guys,
    I am a newbie here. Would love to join you all. However, I'll be helping out at the tournament on the 21st. :)

18. Bieffe

Bieffe Regular Member

Engineer
    Is our Singapore player SOLOso playing at this tournament?

19. hdson

hdson Regular Member

Thank Loh for organising the gathering :)

Will try my best to attend all events (my schedule next week has not been confirmed yet :( ), otherwise will see you all during tournament time.

20. Han

Han Regular Member

Engineer
    Happy Journey

Not sure what I can contribute to the newly wed, I propose providing free Singapore Open 2004(I am sure it will be on Astro Malaysia) DVDs(not including shipping ;-)) to those who show up along with Kwun/Janet at the Open. You face need to be shown on TV or provide your names and address to Kwun when you meet him in Singapore(I hope Kwun don't mind taking down the names? Should I limit the number of names before it breaks my bank? ....)
    Happy Honeymoon Kwun/Janet.
    Han