BARFOOT & THOMPSON New Zealand Open 2019

Discussion in '2019 Tournaments' started by yuquall, Apr 29, 2019.

1. Badofan

Badofan Regular Member

Floss dance...is it the one Carmella of WWE does during her dance breaks?

2. pp35

pp35 Regular Member

The commentator is quite good in terms of tone, level of excitement, word choice. (Maybe a bit more verbose than Gill at the end of rallies, but still acceptable to me.) He should commentate more often.

DeepInTrance and twawawau like this.
  3. yuquall

yuquall Regular Member

Paul Hand you mean? He commentates quite often. Personally I don't really like him haha used to called Christie the super star back in AG.
    I don't know the other one commentated with him though.

4. pp35

pp35 Regular Member

I don't know the other commentator either. But I guess he's a former player? He seems to have good knowledge about techniques. So he seems like a good supplement to Paul Hand (if that's the name), who doesn't have much technical knowledge.

5. ant01

ant01 Regular Member

The other commentator that I heard during MD was Oliver Leydon-Davis from NZ who lost to Ahsan and Setiawan in round 1. It was interesting to hear his comments as a current player, and he even predicted the timing for Ahsans flick serve seconds before he actually did it.

Paul mentioned Oliver's name during one of the videos and how he had a close game in R1, and there was also a short televised shot of both commentators in one of the videos (can't remember which).

pp35 likes this.
  6. yuquall

yuquall Regular Member

Having then seen Korea through to the semifinals by beating Canada’s Brittney Tam, An did a cheeky on-court version of the ‘Floss’ – a jig that was popular at the time.

“My teammates challenged me to do that if I won the match,” said An, betraying no shyness for someone so young at the world’s biggest stage.

Source: https://bwfworldtour.bwfbadminton.com/news-single/2019/05/06/so-young-so-bright/

It'sMeMeMe, Sundis and Cheung like this.
  7. lurker

lurker Regular Member

Yup.. During Sunday finals

8. super-g

super-g Regular Member

An Se Young playing style looks like future of women's badminton. She is playing like men; diving to return shots, jump smashing, jumping sideways to hit smash from overhead position, moving forward after attacking. Impressive and very entertaining to watch such a proactive playing style.

This match against Li Xuerui, the best player 5-6 years ago, really shows how women's game has evolved. I like the direction WS is heading.

kenner30 likes this.
  9. lodoss

lodoss Regular Member

lol. i prefer GC. Paul used too many colourful words when he spoke but unable to describe how the rally was played, the tactics, etc.

BThane likes this.
  10. BThane

BThane Regular Member

Yeah, he seems to follow the flow of the game, talking about how a player is bullying the other, but not noticing the actual shot quality or movement skills. Very energetic, but doesn't seem like he understands badminton at anything but the spectator level. Not as bad as some of the Olympic commentators though.

11. pajrul

pajrul Regular Member

Future? Women have been doing these for years...if anything, they are a bit quicker these days than their predecessors

12. nilesh123

nilesh123 Regular Member

student
    Sorry been away.
    I guess I am "un-fashionabl-y" late, Since the teams are on the TS for days now.

Even though India put their best bunch on the deck, the chances are ominous.
    For starters they find themselves in a very interesting position, the group might aswell be termed "group of death"
    There's no realistic chance against #2 seed (the favourite to lift the trophy, imo) China. And Malaysia brings an all new squad, it can backfire sure, but it can also pay them dividends like Korea.

PVS is disastrously off form, past few matches show SN isn't in great shape. KS, after signs of steady improvements (not enough) crashed out some shocking matches. SV is simply not "there" yet.

IND vs MAL :
    WS 70-30 IND (just being Positive)
    MS 65-35 IND (.... Again)
    MD 70-30 MAL (Satwik isn't fit yet, they lost to Ben lane and partner in Den, however that was after a tourney and long flights)
    XD 80-20 MAL (Sikki is just too good in letting go*)

WD 45-55 MAL, however it all depends on the line-up. Ashwini generally over perform in team events and scoreboard pressure can give them edge against a relatively inexperienced Malaysian squad.

Cunning Linguist likes this.
  13. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Is all this analysis referring to the New Zealand open?

14. super-g

super-g Regular Member

Name women's singles player who dives to return shots and hits jump smashes regularly like men? And has won a tournament. He Bingjiao does jump smashes but very rarely and her dives are also very clumsy, she can not get up.