BAM in a MESS! 2010

Discussion in 'Malaysia Professional Players' started by ants, May 14, 2010.

1. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    I hope im not stepping on someone's toes. This is nothing personal against anyone or an individual. Having watching badminton for sometime, i think it is time for me to speak up.

I think the BAM MANAGEMENT need to have a Wake up Call if not... pour cold water on them while they are sleeping.

The players and coaches did their best job in this Thomas/Uber Cup 2010 Edition. No one can be blame on this. However i believe things can be better if there is some changes in the management all together. Since all the decision makers is up there.. top of the food chain.

Whatever reason... weather who pocket the money or some self interest.. RESULT is what we expect!

Losing is always never good. But the way we perform in this edition, is a setback or a disappointment. We are no where near 1992 edition. Getting from BAD to WORSE.

History repeat again.. we hire the best coaches.. from Morten Frost, Park Joo Bong to Rexy... but the result is that we still have the hold back mentality.

When we loses.. we will blame the coaches or the players.. from Sacking them, suspend them or FIRE them...

How bout the Management? Why is there no one from the Management who is willing to step up and take responsibility? Any why is the PRESS did not bring this up?

Talk about money... WHY is the payment to the players late? Why is BAM lack of FUNDS? Where does the TAX PAYER'S money goes to and Where is all the sponsorship and prize money?

Each BA has their problem.. but that is their problem.. we have to deal with BAM here.

Dont sack the coaches or players... BAM have to do something here. If BAM is a soccer club in England.. the supporters will ask the management to step down.

We have to look to the future and the young generation is our future. Look at China, Korea ... if we dont sacrifice some of the "older" players and expose our young guns into international tournaments.. we will not be able to improve.

Im not saying that the veteran players is no good.. they are asked to contribute to the country and fight their best... they are just doing a duty serving the country. And i applaud our players for their sweat,blood and tears. But we cant use a rusty tank and go to the field to fight the war.

If we are going to do the same thing again and expect the same result.. Hell no we are not going to Win the Thomas or Even Uber Cup for the next 10 decades.

Talk about UNITY.... what Unity do we have? Even China with their 50 odd people cheered as a team... what do we do? Sit down, laugh and chat and act cool? What example are we showing to our own nation?

2. LD rules!

LD rules! Regular Member

I second ants, coaches can only influnce to a point. Management, should take some responsibility some time. Even though I don't support a country, (I tend to support players from each country e.g.. LD (CHN) KKK/TBH (MAS) LYD/LHJ (KOR)) but it's bad to see a country organisation in trouble.

3. T-maker

T-maker Regular Member

Trouble Maker
    WHAT else is new ???

it's all the same all the while....

change ?? no way jose.... i seriously doubt so..

4. OneToughBirdie

OneToughBirdie Regular Member

engineer
    That is an impassioned plea from one of malaysia's greatest fan for the love of badminton in his country and his support for the players...written with passion and pain, eerily similar to what Pemuda has been saying all along with different tone of course;)

5. Aspire

Aspire Regular Member

Manager
    So what do you people suggest? We can go on and on to post our grunts here but I think it is useless. How if we print out all the relevant posts here and send it to the right channel eg. the press, media or PM department?? Also since the BC gathering will be attended by the media tomorrow why not we mention it to them. Please suggest.

6. llpjlau

llpjlau Regular Member

firstly you need to get politics (any form of it at all) out of BAM. in fact, the whole system of government needs an overhaul. it has been the same old front forever! it's time for change.

"Yes we can" -Barack Obama

7. stanster213

stanster213 Regular Member

Still a student... STRIVE for excellence in everyt
    Change...?

Cannot agree more with above. However, BAM is by no means another administration with some1 like Obama leading, sadly. :confused:

Like ants, I am quite annoyed as well. Being quite a young, relatively inexperienced guy (younger than the majority of this forumer demographic), I can already see this as an annoying and persistent issue. :mad:

.. I cannot imagine to what a degree and how annoyed the "uncles" on this forum are on this issue, having seen this type of issue for a much longer time than I have witnessed. :mad:

Hope they can change. As M. Gandhi once said:
    "Be the change you want to see in the world (BAM)" :cool:

Agree strongly: KUDOS to the hard, hard efforts and sweat and blood and tears of MAS players, coaches, etc... certainly a commendable effort on their parts, given the current circumstance (of their own management)...

It is my dream (and I'm sure a lot of boleher's dream), if it ever comes back true in the course of my lifetime, to see MAS rising back as a supernation of badminton, as they were before CHN and INA domination (maybe that's a bit far-fetched and too ambitious at the moment). I would also like to see more UNITY (very good word, ants) of positive spirit within the team. After all, TC is a TEAM tournament... but dreams, however big or small, are nothing without action. One must take it step by step. The hardest part of change is the START of it. This is where BAM must learn to step it up..

We can also take action on our part, as Aspire thankfully suggested. Let's do that.... :D

#7 stanster213, May 14, 2010
    Last edited: May 14, 2010
  8. Aspire

Aspire Regular Member

Manager
    Exactly. That is being the case in discussion. Unfortunately being a normal citizen we cannot change that. But we can start somewhere with anyone having contacts with the relevant authority. We need you forumers out there!

9. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    interestingly people were comparing China/Malaysia in 1992 and China/Malaysia 2010 before today's match began.

we have to do a different comparison. we have to Compare China in 1992 and Malaysia in 2010. in 1992, China just suffered huge defeats in Thomas Cup and Olympics, and in 1994, they lost the Uber Cup as well. among various things that they did, the management (however high up it was) decided to redo the whole team. many veteran players resigned/fired, many very very able coaches were sacked. the team went from the ground up and the now feared leader LYB was brought in. politics and in-fighting ensures and led to further resignation of some more coaches.

however, for whatever people want to say about LYB and the Chinese management, etc, etc. what came about is the current Chinese team. 4/3/3 golds in the 2000/2004/2008 Olympics respectively, holder of all the prestigious Thomas/Uber/Sudirman Cup for years, and numerous world champion titles.

can Malaysia do the same?

nothing will come about overnight, after 1992, it took China 12 years to regain the Thomas Cup, after losing the Uber Cup in 1994, it took 4 years to regain it, and after the poor showing in 1992 Olympics, they didn't gain more than one medal until 8 years later (but damn did they do that in style in 2000). in the mean time, it was dedication, hardwork, and more dedication and hardwork, and add a lot of passion for the game, and you have the Chinese team today.

there has been much hatred displayed towards the Chinese team from members of various countries here in BC. you can hate them as much as you want, but what you cannot dispute is that the Chinese team has went through as much defeat as some country(ies) are seeing today, but they won it back with perseverance and dedication, and a strong management team that believed and supported them. the defeat was particularly even harsher than some others countries. before 1992, China badminton was on top of the world, they enjoyed a huge success in the late 80s, 5 WC in one year, Yang Yang, Zhao Jinhua, Li Yongbo/Tian Bingyi, Han Aiping, Li Lingwei, etc, etc. 1992 was a very hard and rapid nosedive from 30,000 ft into a ditch in the ground for them. yet they picked up the pieces and put back what can be used, and build new ones into a much stronger team.

it is not a perfect team, but one that i think most of the countrymen is proud of.

10. twobeer

twobeer Regular Member

computer
    Some thoughts....

- I think it maybe is a bit over-reaction to see it as sort of a scandal if MAS looses a team event against CHN.. Even with the best management, coaches and players it will not be easy beating mighty CHN in the TEAM event!! I think it is more realistic for other countries to try to compete with china on individual events.. Putting up e complete team to challenge China would be a long hard road of struggle..

- Most likely Ant is right that there is a mangament problem, with lots of money being spent on the wrong things. However this may of course be the same i China etc. It is hard to get to grips with these issues as they financial information are usually not public in these type of organizations.

- I am not sure if it is the right approach to conclude "players and coaches" should not be blamed?!? I think the correct approach is an unbiassed assement of what could be doen differently to produce a better result for MAS against CHN.

- For me watching the semis, I would supsect apart from the Management aspect that Ants mentioned, that it is also a major coaching problem. It is obvious that the chinese analysies of the opponents weaknesses and employed game tactics worked very well..
    Li Mao for example clearly had a better understanding of the weaknesses of the CHN players and what tactics to employ.

- Preparing for the game mentally and physically, and also peak the form is something i think the coaches must ensure, and I think MAS coaches seem to have failed in doing that.

When doing change I think it is always good to start at the top!! But I do not think "only" blaming some managers/politicians will actually be the end-all-solution :)

/Twobeer

#10 twobeer, May 14, 2010
  11. stanster213

A few more thoughts...

Wonderful post, Kwun-sifu.

I cannot agree more: it is the superb discipline and consistent hard work (coupled with strong talent); and ability to absorb failures, however serious; and learn from their past mistakes over the years and bounce back even stronger than before that seperate the Chinese at the moment.

You are right. There is no point hating them; if they are better, we must accept that fact and be proud of them. I still find it unfortunate that people just "attack" China for having "beat" their team or achieved something they haven't - without actually appreciating all the work that has allowed them to accomplish such a feat. I can definitely say that China is a phenomenal power and has made phenomenal progress over the years. They should be commended instead of bluntly hated.

Kwun: "nothing will come about overnight" :D:D
    It's a long road and journey for a country like Malaysia, who is trying to improve their calibre in badminton - from their present "occasional" earning of titles here and there - to that of present China's; sweeping everything consistently, for the sake of argument. Again, the hardest part of the journey is the first step. It requires long term patience and dedication from players, management, coaches, etc.... and they must work and take action as a team.

Awesome statistics as well; thanks for those. [​IMG]
    ...Hopefully Kwun-sifu, you can duly and rightfully make it to the next big BC gathering abroad the world. The forumers love their big boss, especially now that his forum has reached another milestone :D

Enjoy Piala Thomas & Uber Finals Finals. :D:D Appreciate China and their achievements.
    China jia you and Indonesia, hidup! :D

12. T-maker

T-maker Regular Member

Trouble Maker
    True ..

but .................... but.....................

you know,i know...and the best part ???? they (BAM)also know...

but what have they done ?? or what will they do ?? i doubt anything at all...

cos, when things go wrong, it's the players/coach...

when things are right , they are the one who wants the accolades ...

smells similar to FAM.... :mad::mad:

13. stanster213

True lah man~ ^^.. a very annoying issue indeed...:(
    Now, I guess it's up to the body of fans to take action (against this) - as ah Aspire mentioned.
    If we really don't want this to happen anymore, WE (as the supporter) must take action! :D
    Easier said than done :D But small steps help. :p
    Good luck semua orang~

14. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    2010 Thomas Cup: Let us congratulate the winning team and national association

Let us congratulate the winning team and national association, and not to discredit the losing ones.

There can only be ONE winning team and/or national association. So we cannot say that the losing ones are in a mess; like Malaysia, Denmark, Korea, Japan, etc...

15. stanster213

(Of course I personally wouldn't go as far as saying BAM is in a mess, but of course, numerous improvements can be made..):D But to the point, what I really wanted to say; ultimately,
    [​IMG] THANK YOU very much, ah Chris-ccc, for making this clear in your above post. We should never hate and wrongly discredit, ever. :D:D:D

#15 stanster213, May 14, 2010
  16. extremenanopowe

extremenanopowe Regular Member

Chief Coach. The best and still active.
    www.extreme-power.org or xtremexn.blogspot.com
    Credit to Lindan and FHF/CY. I think their win inspired the rest and causes the down fall of Malaysian spirit. The chinese really put a lot of salt into the wounds. So another lesson learn. There is just no formula. Change is not going to happen and enjoy life my friends. Life is short. Every win is an achievements given the competitive nature. ;)

Hopefully when a mistake form management is too blatant that they are caught red handed if there is one. ;)

17. stanster213

Yah, bro extremenanopower,
    I hope that can be reality sometime soon ^^ :D
    (haha, nice.... "salt in the wound")

18. Marpan

Marpan Regular Member

After reading Ants's post, I feel his fustration. If you think about it, Malaysia, Indonesia & China are three countries which has the most badminton players per population. Why is it that Malaysia has only LCW & KKK/TBH??? and China has LD, CL, CJ, BCL etc..and Indo has TK & SS & SD etc......?

China & Malaysia Management IMO has different goals..

Correct me if I am wrong...China is all about pride...is all about winning. They will search the whole country to find al potential talented players and develop them to world class players. Which is why they have created many many great badminton players and forever will. I do congrate China for beating Malaysia in the Semi-Finals.....and handle pressure very well.

In Malaysia case, as many already knows is all about politics & money. You can't tell me that the whole of Malaysia there are no talented young badminton players??? I believe there are many young talented badminton players that due to politics block their career paths.

I wish the management would change their priority to produce more talented players tather than thinking about themselfs. LCW & KKK/TBH did well for their country in the TC 2010 congratulations!!!. If you think about it, Badminton is the only sport in Malaysia that we are good at... why dont we try to produce more talented players..... Management needs to re-check the dictionary on what it meant by "patriotic".

Congratulation to China & Indo both deserves the win.

19. extremenanopowe

extremenanopowe Regular Member

Chief Coach. The best and still active.
    www.extreme-power.org or xtremexn.blogspot.com
    Ya man... as long as the players get their rewards and entertain us the badminton fans with their best ability and consistently in SS. ;)

20. stanster213

I cannot agree wit you more there. Exactly, exactly what I was wondering a moment ago...
    And I hope to see more dominant MAS players in the future... :cool:
    Youngsters need to be given EXPOSURE to tournament..