Badminton/World Championships: Roslin gets another shot

Discussion in 'World Championships 2003' started by whizkelv, Jun 24, 2003.

1. whizkelv

whizkelv Regular Member

Tue, 24 Jun 2003
    » Malay Mail

Sport: Badminton/World Championships: Roslin gets another shot
    Graig Nunis

ROSLIN HASHIM is in dreamland.

Just as he has given up hope of playing at the World Championships, he was given a reprieve when the International Badminton Federation (IBF) released an amended qualifiers list.

Instead of just three shuttlers per country, IBF will now allow four players to compete.

As such Roslin, who was one of the reserves on standby, was given an automatic berth to the event, which will be held in Birmingham, England on July 28-Aug 3.

"I am overjoyed," said a delighted Roslin.

"I had been hoping and praying to play in the tournament and now my prayers have been answered.

"There is a little more than a month to go and there is a lot of work to be done.

"I am just at 80 per cent ready for the tournament but believe I will be on track by the time the tournament begins." Roslin has certainly shown his prowess in recent weeks and earlier this month finished second to younger brother Hafiz in the BAM Elite Challenge.

He lost the title on countback after he, Hafiz and Wong Choong Hann each won eight and lost one match in the competition.

En route, Roslin defeated both Choong Hann and Lee Tsuen Seng – who together with Hafiz – were Malaysia's representatives to the world meet.

"I believe my showing in the Elite Challenge was a good test for me and I proved myself by beating two of the country's representatives to the World Championships," said Roslin, who is a former world No 1.

"I couldn't believe it when I was informed of my selection and I promise to train harder from now on to make up for my disappointing showing two years ago." In Seville, Spain, Roslin when into the World Champions as the top seed was bundled out in the first round.

"I hope to make amends for the disappointment of two years ago," he said.

"The defeat has been bugging me for two years and now, I will have a chance to put it right."