Badminton Warrior Chinese New Year Edition (Video Game)

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by Ralph Wong, Feb 5, 2019.

1. Ralph Wong

Ralph Wong New Member

BADMINTON WARRIOR
    Chinese New Year Edition
    It's been two years since I first conceived of this strange little game. With the Lunar New Year upon us and the Chinese New Year version just completed, I thought I would finally share it with the badminton community. So what is Badminton Warrior? Simply put, it is a 2D action adventure platformer where you fight evil with a badminton racquet. Your racquet cannot hurt anything by itself. However, it can deflect almost any projectile back at your enemies.

Gameplay

You can do drives, clears, and smashes! Drives do the regular amount of damage. Clears do half the amount of damage. Smashes double the damage.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Level Design

To add variety, I created levels with unique characteristics. My favorite is probably the teleportation stage where you can use teleporters to your advantage. I also really like how the basketball and tetherball stages turned out.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Chinese New Year Edition
    About two months ago, I thought it would be fun to add a level centered around Chinese New Year. I redesigned some of the enemies and created a whole new enemy type. Of course, what Chinese New Year themed stage would be complete without firecrackers?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Well, that's all I have to report right now. If anyone wants more information about this game you can click on the links below. Let me know what you think, and I hope people enjoy my new game.

Steam Page: https://store.steampowered.com/app/956360

Twitter: https://twitter.com/BadmintonWars

LenaicM likes this.
  2. Borkya

Borkya Regular Member

teacher
    I think that's awesome! So glad to see a badminton video game that isn't just playing badminton (because those games are lame). This one you can actually play and not actually like badminton, cause it's just like a Original Super Mario style game. Very cool!

3. Ralph Wong

Ralph Wong New Member

Thanks for the kind words. I'm hoping more people will like the strange concept. I've worked roughly two years on this thing so it's nice to hear people appreciate your efforts.

phihag likes this.
  4. yuquall

yuquall Regular Member

It's a very cool looking game. Haven't played it but it really brings back the old games like that Kung Fu or other great games in the first Nintendo console.. I miss those 2D games where there were only up, down, left and right, A and B.
    Now they have buttons and whatnots way too many more than my fingers altogether (yeah.. I totally suck at 3D lol)

5. Ralph Wong

Ralph Wong New Member

When I designed the game, I was thinking about those old school types. Even some of the newer 2D games now have way too many controls for my taste. I tried to keep this simple with just a swing and a jump button. As a kid, I really enjoyed games with easy controls but difficult challenges. Ninja Gaiden, Castlevania, and Mega Man come to mind. I wanted to capture the essence of those games but with a fresh new game mechanic because I didn't want Badminton Warrior to be just a clone.

6. Budi

Budi Regular Member

Just an idea after seeing your video games.
    How about add some more thing about badminton characteristic.

A. Weapon selection.
    1. Head heavy racket - Good for tossing around giant object but bad on small multiple object as its kinda slow. Big object hit with it deal more dmg.
    2. Head light - the opposite, faster swing for dealing multiple small object but not much effective on 1 giant object. Move faster & allow rapid hit on small object.
    3. Balance - well.. All round. Nothing special. Basic weapon.

B. String tension:D (maybe to much but i will just spoil it). This all basically just timing & crit hit chance. In term of real badminton its about sweetspot. Lower tension have big sweetspot but just ok result if you hit on any spot. Higher tension mean smaller sweetspot but magnificant result if you hit right on the spot. So hitting timing on games trigger crit hit for higher dmg at the cost of lower dmg if miss timing.