Badminton: Misbun fears Taufik more than Lin Dan

Discussion in 'World Championships 2007' started by ixory, Jul 29, 2007.

1. X Ball

X Ball Regular Member

I am glad you got a good sense of humour.

Cheers.

2. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Misbun versus Mulyo

Misbun Sidek is LCW's coach now. He was also his coach before Li Mao arrived at the scene and took over LCW. Li Mao was inferior to Misbun during their past matches when they had the rare occasion to meet.

We also know quite a bit about Misbun and his badminton fanatic family with their well known Sidek brothers who had won many international accolades for Malaysia. Misbun himself was particularly a very good but defiant singles player who had always been a first choice for Malaysia during his prime. Unfortunately he had never won the AE title also, just like TH now.

But as a coach, Misbun is a changed man. Unlike his younger days when he so often confronted the Administration, not much different from what TH has been dealing out to PBSI nowadays, Misbun has matured and takes things in his stride. Of recent past, I have not seen him flaring up in anger or confronting BAM in the open. During those times at international tournaments like the SS when he had to coach his player at the sidelines, he would quietly take down notes and guide his charge accordingly.

What a changed man!

But little is known of TH's coach, Mulyo Handoyo. I sometimes bumped into him at the SBA when he was coaching Ronald Susilo in Singapore. He seemed to be a simple man often caught smoking his cigarette.

I have no knowledge of his past glories, whether he was as good a player as Misbun. Did he ever represent Indonesia? If Mulyo was not a great player himself, how come TH could turn out to be such a good player.

I read somewhere that Mulyo had been TH's club coach since young. The emotional attachment must be there and Mulyo must have understood TH very well to bring out his qualities although TH seemed to be a difficult player to please judging by what he had demonstrated on court and off it. So close was their relationship that TH defended Mulyo on many occasions and refused to change coach, in defiance of PBSI authority.

Could anyone here reveal more about Mulyo?

What makes a good coach? Does a coach need to be a very good player himself?

Yes we have discussed this so often but yet to come up with a set of qualites that makes a coach successful and distinctive. Comparing Misbun, Mulyo and Mao, what makes them different and effective?

3. bic33

bic33 Regular Member

I think the emotional attachment is what made Mulyo a very good coach to taufik... He was like a father to taufik... I think only Mulyo has gained taufik's trust...

4. X Ball

X Ball Regular Member

In my mind a good coach is one who can bring out the best in a player, easily reflected in the wins of the players.

A coach could be a very skilful player himself, thus knowing what to impart to his player. If Mulyo is not a good player, then how did he impart such great knowledge to TH. This, therefore, leads me to believe you need not necessarily be a good player yourself to be a great coach.

A coach is a very much a sales person, very capable in effective communication. He is able to sell to his player so much so the player believes in what the coach says. Now if he happens to say all the right things then it would be good for the player.

Even though I am not a great player in my times, I think I can be a great coach. I have seen enough of how the game is played to be able to communicate with the players on why they lost or won. Mulyo is a great communicator with TH, and TH respects him and takes everything from Mulyo in the correct way.

The fact that LCW went back to Misbun is because he knows Misbun is capable of communicating his methods to him effectively. Besides, Misbun was a great player in his times (noted for his great smashes and speed), and LCW had success with Misbun prior to Li Mao.

You would then ask me why Misbun has not been able to coach Hafiz effectively too. Well, he did coz he lead him to win the AE. There is so much a great coach can do but a lot has to be done by the player himself. Hafiz was acknowledging last week that he needs to step up in his speed dept and Misbun has clearly identified that for him.

My conclusion is that a good coach needs to be effective in communicating his methods to the players. In so doing, he will be able to motivate them too to greater heights. I stand to be corrected but I think Hafiz will prove that Misbun is a great coach in the WC....he will step up now with the focus on him. Misbun, well, he can take a bow now because many acknowledge him to be a great coach, including me of course.

#224 X Ball, Aug 2, 2007
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2007
  5. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Wah X Ball, first time you're so serious ah!

So guys, don't count yo-yo Hafiz out! He has done it before and he will do it again! He has promised to step up his game. Remember he recently beat LCW to the surprise of many! And while TH is still unable to capture the AE title, Hafiz has done it to the delight of Malaysian fans!

Misbun is the man and is able to psyche his charges to do the almost impossible!

Let that Magic return again!

#225 Loh, Aug 2, 2007
  6. taufik-ist

taufik-ist Regular Member

it administrator
    no need to be a player before, a coach must have a capability to do a game analysis, have very good badminton strategy knowledge.

Jose Mourinho was not a football player, he was a college graduation.
    but he is very good football coach...

7. X Ball

X Ball Regular Member

I am no more than you.:D Except I don't post photos. :)

8. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

A bit off topic-Just my 2 cents..

..Loh, interesting set of questions you have, especially towards the end of your post...But, perhaps, a new thread should be dedicated to those questions, specifically..;):cool:

I might've shared this before in BC, but i had a very2 brief opportunity to chat with coach Mulyo during the 2005 WC. From what i observed, he's a very simple, down-to-earth and straightforward person. He seemed to know what he wanted and didn't like to "waste time". Pretty "serious" guy, if i may add.

Anyway, to give some light on your queries, actually i found there have been several threads in BC which touched on Mulyo Handoyo's and his relationship as Taufik's coach/mentor.
    I think what bic33 and X Ball posted abt Mulyo being Taufik's coach are pretty right on..;)

In short, the likely reasons why Mulyo is a "perfect" coach for Taufik are (taken from links below):
    -"his understanding and patience seems to set him apart from other coaches.."
    -"He knows how to handle me and we are always together. He is the only coach who really understands me." Taufik stated.
    IMO, the key is, to find someone who can speak and inspire into the very heart of his/her student/pupil..which is, of course, not very easy..;)

As for what i can find on the internet (through Google search), here are a few links which probably can shed some lights on your queries...I think the articles will give us more clarity to what is/are the keys to Mulyo's success..mind you, the first link is in Indonesian:p, so perhaps someone can help translate it for us..Also in the last link below, you'll read a very brief biography on Mulyo's life/career;)
    http://www.indomedia.com/bpost/082004/22/depan/utama2.htm
    http://www.yehey.com/gadgets/articles.aspx?id=5678
    http://www.thejakartapost.com/yesterdaydetail.asp?fileid=20040904.S01

#228 ctjcad, Aug 2, 2007
  9. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Thanks Chris for the Jakarta Post Feature on Mulyo, coincidently published today but was first reported by Eva C. Komandjaja (our BC member?) on 4 Sep 2004.

Yes although Mulyo never represented Indonesia as a player, it would appear that his badminton knowledge is good enough to transform an ordinary player like TH (when he was in his teens) into a great player.

And the magic appears to lie in his ability to impart his knowledge and motivate TH to do his best. His very close liaison with TH from the very beginning has blossomed into something like a 'father-son' relationship, whereby one cannot do without the other.

The faith and commitment in each other is best illustrated by the promise that TH made to Mulyo to do his level best for the 2004 Olympics in order to entice Mulyo back from coaching Ronald Susilo in Singapore. In barely six months, TH's resumed partnership with Mulyo won him the coveted Olympic crown!

10. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

No problem and yes..

..the actual article was published in 2004-I guess Jakarta Post keeps track and archives those articles, eventhough it gives 2 different dates on the article..And the writer could be a BC member (as her name sounds oh so familiar);)....Btw, hope to see you soon in KL!!:);)

11. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
  12. OneToughBirdie

OneToughBirdie Regular Member

engineer

13. cooler

cooler Regular Member

hindsight, misbun had made some miscalculation lol

14. Jagdpanther

Jagdpanther Regular Member

Uni Student
    You purposely dig so deep into 2007 thread just to mock TH, Sire?;)

15. george@chongwei

george@chongwei Regular Member

rudy will come after him later:D

16. cooler

cooler Regular Member

funny, i thot i was talking about misbun:rolleyes:

17. Jagdpanther

Jagdpanther Regular Member

Uni Student
    To be more specific, about the one whom Misbun feared?
    Well, different people may see things from different perspectives, you see.
    And yes, from yours, pretty funny indeed.:rolleyes:

18. ye333

ye333 Regular Member

What's the point digging this up? It's even not about this OG... At that time, I bet no one could be sure whether TH can do things like 06AG again or not, including LD (note that between 06AG and 07WC, LD only met TH once and won in two close games -- and he lost to PSH easily (14,16) after that.).