Badminton: KKK-TBH Swiss Open’s champion!

Discussion in 'German Open / All England / Swiss Open 2007' started by little_bird, Mar 19, 2007.

1. sabathiel

sabathiel Regular Member

Lawyer
    If you read my post that you were responding to I wasn't talking about opinions I was talking about "beliefs". You are missing my point. My point is that one person can go against the tide and prove them wrong when the post that I was responding to says we are stuck with what the world believes even though what the world believes is totally wrong. My point is that if you believe you are right then prove it! In the case of opinions since some opinions cannot be proved to be right you'll have to persuade or convince me you are right.:D

2. Lobeh

Lobeh Regular Member

Hey Sabathiel, you need to go out more!!You've been surrounded by 4 walls far too long!

3. phaarix

phaarix Regular Member

I don't see any reason it should be locked :cool:. Just friendly debate... for the most part :p.

I'm glad you can see what I was trying to say pjswift.

Thanks for pointing out sabathiel that YES I am only 18 :D. So it's true that what I believe now may change as I grow older and get more life experience or whatever. But I myself haven't been convinced otherwise, so for now I'm sticking by my stubborn young mind's argument :).

I don't believe I am very good at getting a point across, I'll admit that again. But it doesn't necessarily make my point wrong.

#83 phaarix, Mar 23, 2007
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2007
  4. pjswift

pjswift Regular Member

You read me wrong. I was being sarcastic about AE. I think it's a cheapskate tournament for one most people considered as prestigious.(That's why I say 'prestigious'.) I consider it as any SS tournament, inferior in some ways , like to SwO because SwO provides 'livestreaming'. AE is perceived as 'prestigious ' because it's antique. TH couldn't care less about AE. He talked about how much he wanted to win AE because he did not want to hurt AE people's feelings and to boost their ego, only to bust it later. Naughty boy,wasn't he? Seriously I don't think TH will bother about AE again next year until AE realises that TH will need an appearance fee just for his effort to fly across so many time zones. AE needs TH more than TH needs AE.
    Talking about lawyers. I once met a lawyer who, in a moment of frankness, told me this: 'There's only a fine line between a crook and a lawyer.A crook is one who dare to break the law; a lawyer, well, one who dare not (yet).'

Don't underestimate 18 years olds. I've met not a few who are refreshingly intelligent, self assured, well travelled with uncanny wisdom. Their only problem is they look and sound young, so they are perceived as less credible. 38 years olds are having it tough because they are the sandwich generation, caught between having to mind the kids (if any) and the parents (if any). While capable of greater wisdom than 18years olds, may not have the energy to exercise it. But I can assure you phaarix has an above average IQ (no need to administer IQ test) because he can follow your posts (which are high class by BCF standards) and has the temerity to challenge you.It also means, of course, that i have an IQ of more than 100 as well and so are all the rest of BCF members.
    sabathiel, I want to say I do enjoy your posts because you put a lot of thought into them and they have substance. You have every right to hold on to your opinion and not change them.Pls remember BCF is not a courtroom so proving who is right or wrong is not a prerequisite to participation. If you don't like some posts, just apply censorship; no one is forcing you to read them. Especially from pesky 18 years olds. Have a feeling they are going to post more (as a sign of protest)

5. sabathiel

sabathiel Regular Member

Lawyer
    Hey I am not saying you are wrong. What I am asking you to do is to elaborate your case better by backing your opinions with compelling arguments or even some facts. So far you have not done so and in light of that I must say your case is weak. Feel free to express whatever opinion you have but i just wish you could challenge others (including me) with better arguments.

6. sabathiel

sabathiel Regular Member

Lawyer
    I think you damage the credibility of your arguments regarding All England by assuming what is in Taufik's mind by saying that he couldn't care less about AE and that he doesn't want to hurt All England's people feelings and boost their egos because there is no evidence whatsoever to suggest this. On the contrary Taufik has categorically express his desire to win AE the only major title which he says is lacking in his resume. Surely you are not privy to Taufik's thoughts to know what is really on his mind. Alternatively, you are not even a close acquaintance of Taufik to know his deepest thoughts that he may share with you by suggesting that Taufik didn't mean what he says at all when he gave us the impression that he highly regards the AE title.

You talk like a real die hard Taufik fan and we all know what the majority of Taufik fans are like on this forum. Taufik is not the greatest thing that badminton ever produced in fact I think he is overrated. He is no doubt a very good player but I don't consider him great (yet). It is Taufik's miss if he doesn't get into the list of AE winners to join the many greats who have made that list. It is not AE's loss at all. To me and many others all we remember is who won the Olympics, WC and AE which puts AE in a class above the rest of the other open tournaments. Not bad for an open tournament who until recently was only a 4 star tournament with low prize money. Nobody is going to pay Taufik to appear in any tournament let alone the AE.

Nobody is calling Phaarix or any young person stupid or unwise. What I was objecting to is you comparing Phaarix with enterpreneurs and wise leaders when nothing so far in his posts suggests that he is in that league or anywhere near that great company. Nobody is calling you stupid either so there is no need to get defensive by stating that your IQ is above 100 I think it is safe for everybody to assume that. I am not trying to prove anyone wrong although that might be the effect of my long and well thought out posts. I love being challenged in a debate and I wish others do more of this by putting more thoughts into their arguments and back up their opinions with reason, facts or even some evidence rather than expect people to take their opinion on faith or face value. I guess I indirectly I am provoking them to challenge me as I enjoy a civilised and intelligent debate as you can always learn something from it. I am not the source of all wisdom either so I gladly would admit my views are flawed if the other side can produce better arguments backed up by facts and good logic/commonsense.

7. Kamen

Kamen Regular Member

Self-Employed
    nope, i dont think this thread will be locked. The debates over here are intelligent and of high standards.

Often, threads involved sabathiel are high class! :)

8. phaarix

phaarix Regular Member

There's no doubt that your posts are well thought out sabathiel :). Yes it's obvious you do enjoy a good debate. Sorry I can't really give you that, I'm not trying to make excuses or anything but right now it's not the sort of thing I want to put all my time into :p. I just wanted to say what I had to say in this thread.

It's good to have someone like you who doesn't lower themselves to insults as I've had once or twice on this forum and others. I don't respect insulting and swearing as a means to "win" a debate. But I certainly respect a person who can understand that not all minds must think the same.

9. pjswift

pjswift Regular Member

TH HKO w/o

You are a lawyer,sabathiel. I'm a mind reader by training though I never practise as a shrink. (I have many career detours but my best education has to be in sales training. I never know selling is so challenging and interesting, esp. in closing a sale. That's why I believe LCW lost when he should have won is because he has not been trained how to close a match.) I read TH closely, what he actually says and what he actually means don't usually tally. I like TH because he is the only badminton star who has the guts to not continue play when the umpire is lame. He is also the only badminton star who knows his value and makes that very clear. He 's not going to work for cheap money. You can't get the truth out of TH by talking to him because he's so good at spinning. TH may be overrated but the fact is not a few badminton fans took special leave to watch his match and bought tickets because of him. Scarcity of appearance may hype it up but the truth is his skills are captivating.
    We are not going to reason well together because mostly mine are hunches (based on observations over time and swift data scanning; I'm quite strong on research with figures.)However, so far my hunches score around 70-80% ,enough to be successful if I were in business. I'm not going to match you on time and stamina so it's my pleasure to hand you a TH HKO walkover. For now I'm just going to enjoy your posts without responding.