Badminton in Marburg, Germany

Discussion in 'Europe' started by Victor92, Aug 13, 2019.

1. Victor92

Victor92 New Member

Hi all!

I just moved to Marburg, Germany not too long ago for my studies and was wondering if there is anyone playing badminton recreationally that I can join?
    I am around mid-beginner.

Thanks!

phihag likes this.
  2. Pagz

Pagz Regular Member

Generally, clubs in Germany are very open to new players. Just go there, introduce yourself and they will tell you everything you need to know.
    I'm not from Marburg, but Google tells me there's one big club there called VfL 1860 Marburg that offers Badminton
    http://marburg-badminton.de/trainingszeiten
    It says on their website that everyone is welcome to check out the club for 2-3 training session. After that you have to join the club (8€/month) to continue playing. Seems like a good deal, especially since they offer training sessions 6 times a week

phihag likes this.
  3. Victor92

Victor92 New Member

Thanks for the information! I will check them out as soon as I am free! My only worries is that I do not speak any German.

4. jole73

jole73 Regular Member

Forget your worries. There'll be quite a few people who can speak English sufficiently well. Just announce yourself beforehand via e-mail. A lot of Germans tend to be a little flabbergasted when they're unexpectedly confronted with the sudden need to communicate in a different language. :D

5. speCulatius

speCulatius Regular Member

Agreed. That shouldn't be a problem.
    I don't think that is necessary. Writing an email beforehand is always an option but if it says online that everybody is welcome, I don't think that's necessary. The language barrier will not be an issue if you speak English.

After having a look at their website, I'd say, "Don't write an email, just go there and enjoy badminton!"
    They also have a Facebook page if you prefer that, but just don't be scared and give it a try.

6. jole73

jole73 Regular Member

Of course, there's obviously no announcement required. It's just that some people feel more comfortable if they know what to expect. On the other hand, we're talking about Marburg. So they're should be enough students at the club who are more or less fluent in English. So @speCulatius ist probably right. Just go there and have fun. :)

7. speCulatius

To me the homepage sounds like they prefer to see you there without announcement/questions beforehand. Their FAQ is mainly about this, actually.

Then there's probably gonna be enough students and of the few names I saw, one looked like a mix of European and Vietnamese names, so probably on the younger side too (below 30) and thus more comfortable with English. They're referring to Marburg as "student city", so they know where they are.

I might be completely wrong, I'm just guessing, but what I read between the lines is that they prefer you to just show up unannounced.

My experience is, that language is not a problem when playing badminton. I've played with Japanese who neither spoke English nor German and all I can say in Japanese is not related to badminton. It worked just fine. I've even trained children who only spoke Greek and math lectures is the closest I've come to learn that language. They made good progress. There's always a way to communicate.

@Victor92 Just give it a try and don't worry about it!

8. Victor92

Victor92 New Member

Thanks everyone for the advice! I went down and played a few rounds with them and they were really friendly.

I will probably join them officially the next time I am there.

speCulatius and Pagz like this.
  9. Munigrinn

Munigrinn New Member

art
    Hi. Thank you guys for your information. I moved to Germany recently and now searching for some flats in Berlin to buy. Looking for the badminton clubs too. Are there some places in Berlin I can join?:) Thank you.

10. speCulatius

For Berlin, two clubs come to mind

SV Berliner Brauereien
    Training seems to be mainly in and around Prenzlauer Berg, they say you can just join them.

SG EBT Berlin
    Just show up on Monday, Wednesday or Friday at 18:30. The address is Samariterstraße 19/20 (Friedrichshain).

There's plenty more clubs to choose from, depending on your level and your location. I'm pretty sure that most of them are happy if you just show up, but I did see one that asked for a sign up for it (in Kreuzberg). The two clubs I mentioned should also offer Training at a rather high level if you're interested. For casual play, some people might prefer a smaller club, but that probably depends on the people at the club.

Maybe find a place to stay first, then see which club is close. Feel free to ask again when you found something and want us to have a look at their homepage, but it's just too much to sum it all up for all Berlin clubs.

ucantseeme likes this.
  11. Victor92

Victor92 New Member

Hi all,

just a query, does anyone know any place around Marburg or in Hessen that does stringing? I have asked people in the club I play at and they say some of them can help me. But the issue is that I cannot communicate well to them the strings and tension as most of them that does stringing only speak German.

12. speCulatius

Calling for @Mr Arc2 .... as the closest one around here that I'm aware of.