Badminton in Japan

Discussion in 'Japan Professional Players' started by gaDEfan, May 6, 2007.

1. visor

visor Regular Member

@kwun
    HI Kwun, do you know what happened to Momota's thread? It's gone.

Sent from my SM-G988W using Tapatalk

2. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    Oh... seem to have a moderation mishap... it was accidentally removed while cleaning up spams... :(:(:(

3. visor

visor Regular Member

There's backup though right?

4. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    might take a while to retrieve it as it will be a manual process.

5. Cunning Linguist

Cunning Linguist Regular Member

Thanks for your work, @kwun.

6. CzechKronner

CzechKronner Regular Member

Any update on Momota's thread? @kwun

7. aZn_Popcorn

aZn_Popcorn Regular Member

any update on Momota's Thread? @kwun

8. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    I am afraid it will take a little while. Please start a new thread and I will merge it with the original one once recovered.

9. kurako

kurako Regular Member

I don't want to add any unnecessary pressure here, but would it be possible to have a rough time-line? Realistically-speaking, by when do you expect to be able to recover the thread?

Also, is there anyone, e.g. a part-timer worker, available who can help you accomplish this? Or, are you working alone?

This kind of incident, whilst fortunately very rare, can be extremely damaging to a forum. I am just wondering if there is anything that anybody can do to help? Would donations to help defuse the costs of part-time work be conceivable?

Cunning Linguist likes this.
  10. LenaicM

LenaicM Regular Member

It might have been previously posted split in several parts in the KM thread but here is the full version with English subs.

11. visor

visor Regular Member

Hi all, I've just started a temporary thread for KM. So please post KM stuff there for now until Kwun can get everything restored. Tks!

12. Svyat

Svyat Regular Member

Software Developer
    I'm a software developer, if @kwun or @Cheung need help with this, they could write me, see if I could be helpfull )) for free ofcourse it's my pleasure.

Cunning Linguist and LenaicM like this.
  13. pali.69

pali.69 New Member

@kwun
    @Cheung

Could you please give us an update on the progress of the recovery of Momota's main thread?

I didn't post much in the thread but I was reading it passionately for the last 2-3 years.
    There's been so much work put into that thread by others, especially @kurako .
    It would be a shame if it would go to waste.

Please let us know about the status and if any of us can help in some way.

Thanks.

14. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    Hi all,

I am looking into it. Unfortunately, it is not just a matter of pressing a button and it will get restored from the backup. As there is no such feature in the forum software. At a minimal, it will involve manually extracting the postings from the database and inserting into the current one. I have been searching online to see if anyone has done it and mostly came out dry. Furthermore, I don't have a recent backup, so there will be postings that are lost unfortunately.

It is not a happy scenario I am afraid. And on top of that, working from home has been a bit more busy that I expected and I haven't been able to devote much time to it.

But I will try to make some time.

15. pali.69

pali.69 New Member

Hi!
    Any update on Kento's thread?
    Slowly I am losing hope. :(
    Is it ever coming back?

16. samkool

samkool Regular Member

too pre-occupied to work
    live your life as if it never will come back. how nec'y is it? say whatever you need to say in the new thread. it will fill up w/ all of the same info from the past via normal ?'s & conversations amongst his fans.

17. Cunning Linguist

Why? It has been stated several times that it is possible to restore the thread and that this is actually being done. Somebody made a mistake and destroyed hours of work by other people. Working on fixing that mistake is - quite honestly - the minimum that can be expected in that situation.
    Threads also don't magically "fill up". They are being filled by people who put time and work and effort in to provide information and thoughtful discussion. If said people see that their time and work and effort can just be erased with the press of a button, and that the person responsible for that rather massive mistake is doing f... all about it, why should they ever make that same effort again?

Svyat likes this.
  18. pali.69

pali.69 New Member

That is exactly my point.
    A thread doesn't fill by itself.
    Users like kurako spent countless hours of time to compile posts containing very interesting information.
    If these users see that no effort is being made to recover their work, then why should they ever post again?
    It is no coincidence that kurako has not posted in the temporary thread.
    And I fully understand why not. I would behave the same way.

19. samkool

samkool Regular Member

too pre-occupied to work
    just in case it does not come back.
    i'm not disputing the fact it can be restored. but, i'm ready to accept if it never is.
    well, considering i don't pay anything to participate here they are under no obligation to do anything. i can't expect the admins to operate on behalf of my demands and timeline. they put in the hours of work providing this place. all i can do is deal with whatever happens.
    actually they do, but it just takes time.
    ...and i am one of those people. however, i also take into consideration the admins/mods who keep this place going. they have lives and may not have the time right now (or even in the future) to dedicate to this board, which is obviously a labor of love. their availability will always fluctuate so if it doesn't fit in with my urgent needs all i can do is be patient.
    you're so right. i want a refund! oh wait... heh heh.

welcome to the internet. the possibility of websites/info/what-have-you disappearing for good is a way of life now. kinda like your favorite restaurant that you went to for 20 years four times a week closing down for good and there's nothing that comes close to replacing it. ever had a fave website vanish on you? what can you do about it? nothing, except thank them for what they've provided up to this point.
    again, i consider myself one of those people. it's no different than answering the same ?'n (or discussing the same topic) 10 times from/with 10 different new users over the span of 10 months because each new user does not know their ?'n/topic had been asked already? do you answer it each time? maybe you don't, but 4 other users each answer two of them... and that's how a thread magically fills up. :D a lot of the info we post here will become irrelevant and/or invalid in 1, 2, 3 years anyway... like the ever changing scoring system. new people won't care.
    and that's completely up to you. nobody is forcing any of us to participate here. that's our labor of love. hell, i just spent 2 hours on this reply attempting to make it sound as pragmatic and unaggressive as possible.

ask. answer. talk. share.

#1879 samkool, Jun 27, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2020
    s_mair, Dangho, Baddie lover and 4 others like this.
  20. Cunning Linguist

I've noticed a lot of your posts end up revolving around $$$. :D
    This is basic human decency and has nothing to do with money. If I mess up other people's work, I'll try and fix it. The people affected can expect it from me, because that's the only way communities work. And despite it being on the internet, this is a community.

Your restaurant analogy falls flat, I'm afraid. If I've been a paying customer for 20 years, I've not only helped to keep the restaurant afloat, I've actually enabled the owner to make a profit out of me. I've given more than I've received in terms of monetary value and there is no need to thank the owner any more than he needs to thank me. This is true for all (profitable) businesses.
    Obviously, this is not the case here (even though participation is, in a way, the currency of a forum community. people will join an active one, a dead one, not so much).

It might be entirely possible that the people behind the forum do not give a toss about it anymore after many, many years of work, and that's totally understandable.
    That doesn't mean the site needs to die or that you can do "nothing" about things not being fixed, as you suggest. Taking over a restaurant is quite a lot harder than taking over a webpage (just an educated guess, have never tried either of the two :p), for example. Somebody else might step up and take over the hosting, users could join together to finance hosting together, and so on. Maybe the current operators would just like some help with regards to the work or the finances. If that's the case, I'm sure many users (myself included) would gladly provide both. However, this needs to be talked about [see your last sentence].

The Corona situation is quite telling. There are no tournaments, there are hardly any discussions, people do not return to the forum, activity dies down even further, the forum might kick the bucket. If there is an added sense of "oopsie, sucks to be you", you might lose a substantial number of active long term users in addition to the Corona leavers. They might magically "fill back up" over time, they might not. As you've mentioned, websites "die" all the time. From my experience, "waiting it out" doesn't cut it and never gets anything done. Especially in communities that depend on regular participation to survive. Getting off your (virtual) arse, asking question and offering help is always more productive.

Exactly my point. You don't demand that I (or any other user) reply to or even read your post, and I certainly do not have an obligation to do so. You kind of expect it of me, though, because we're both grown-ups who've had good exchanges before and we've not been raised by wolves. You can expect an answer to a polite, well-worded question or argument.
    Nobody demanded that the thread be restored. We didn't complain. Instead we asked, offered help, offered money, thanked in advance for the work being done. And since it has been stated that restoration is possible, I don't think it's unreasonable to politely ask for a status update over a month after the latest one, like @pali.69 did.

stanleyfm and Svyat like this.