Badminton in Japan

Discussion in 'Japan Professional Players' started by gaDEfan, May 6, 2007.

1. Pcyl

Pcyl Regular Member

Thanks Kurako for this info.

Nakanishi Yosuke answered my confusion quite well.

I always felt Tsuneyama was sort of an intelligent player with good enough racket skills and shuttle placements but why couldn't he do more. Yes, it does look like he lacks power and speed.

Also, I always thought Nishimoto has good enough power, speed , defence and attacks, long reach, height ... but why couldn't he do more. For his case, I did conclude that he has fears and negative thinking when the battle gets tense. So, it is quite close to what Nakanishi observed about his tendency to self destruct in a win-lose situation. I suspect that he has valid reasons for his fears. He knows that he could not think as fast as Momota although his body can move fast ... and also he is not as calm and patient as Momota. Maybe, his coaches can help him to find solutions.

#1781 Pcyl, Jan 22, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2020
    terrynguyen121988 and kurako like this.
  2. terrynguyen121988

terrynguyen121988 Regular Member

Thank Kurako and you for analysis.

Momota has talent, so that Nishimoto cannot play like Momota although at some stage he played "Momota's game".

Sometimes when I watch Nishimoto playing, it seems to be he just played "safe", that can be a psychological problem.

Just watch the match between Nishimoto and Stuneyama. Nishimoto won this match but this playstyle cannot help him to the final match.

The red one is the court Nishimoto played, the yellow one will be the court Momota will play.

My advice to Nishimoto will be: play slower and aim to the line. Training your footstep so hard.

nishimoto vs tsuneyama.jpg

#1782 terrynguyen121988, Jan 23, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2020
    CLELY, Pcyl, Giga01 and 2 others like this.
  3. Baddie lover

Baddie lover Regular Member

Terry, you deserve a pat on your back. You're a good fan. It's easy to support top players like Momota, Sindhu, Ginting, TTY, others than supporting middle level players like Nishimoto, Tsuneyama, Prannoy, Sameer and others. Keep supporting him , will look forward to more of your posts.

CLELY, Pcyl, trizzforce and 1 other person like this.
  4. Giga01

Giga01 Regular Member

Both Nishimoto and Tsuneyama are pretty fun to watch I think. It feels like, it wouldn't hurt Tsuneyama if he put on a few kgs of muslce. As far as I know, he's 60kg for 173cm. He doesn't need to put on that much, but by comparison, Kento Momota is reportedly 175 and 68kg.

Tsuneyama is very quick, nimble and he has nice footwork I think.

But, I think Kenta Tsuneyama really lacks the weapons to finish his rallies. You can only win that much playing mostly defense in this day and age. He's a bit like Tien Minh perhaps, for those of you that watched him a lot. But it feels like his smashes aren't shots that he gains anything from playing. And he's not like Momota in the way that...He feels like his shot selection is a bit too simple.

Sure, he can play around with the rallies a lot. But it feels like he maybe doesn't surprise his opponent a lot. So not sure how he gets the points outside of simply being more stable than most people, a skill that is very good of course, otherwise his ranking wouldn't be what it is. Perhaps, if he improved his attacking game he could play similar to how Du Pengy was for a while, at least more in that direction.

kurako likes this.
  5. kurako

kurako Regular Member

The NBA has announced the list of players due to participate in the Badminton Asia Team Championships (February 11-16):

MS
    Nishimoto Kenta
    Tsuneyama Kanta
    Watanabe Koki
    Naraoka Kodai

WS
    Ohori Aya
    Takahashi Sayaka
    Yamaguchi Akane
    Gunji Riko

MD
    Endo/Watanabe
    Hoki/Kobayashi
    Koga/Saito

WD
    Nagahara/Matsumoto
    Fukushima/Hirota
    Shida/Matsuyama

XD
    Hoki/Nagahara?

Higashino is not listed.

It is interesting to note that high schoolers Naraoka and Gunji are included. And also that Takahashi/Matsutomo are not; as far as they are concerned, the Race to Tokyo is over.

#1785 kurako, Jan 23, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2020
    BeeKi, trizzforce and Giga01 like this.
  6. kumar1222

kumar1222 Regular Member

I feel takamatsu are better pair than mastumoto nagahara

7. lodoss

lodoss Regular Member

if there are points given for Asia Team Champ, then TakaMatsu will drop further behind the other 2 pairs.
    but they can still qualify if they perform much better in the other tournaments, right?
    unless they are not register to play.

8. kurako

kurako Regular Member

The fact that they pulled out of the Thailand Masters and are not entered for the BAC Team Event is not a good omen. And more than 15,000 points separate them from the No. 2 pair, FukuHiro (who, incidentally don't have too many 'big points' to defend until the end of April).

TakaMatsu really needed to do well in the Malaysia and Indonesia Masters to keep alive any hope of a place. Unfortunately, they failed to do enough.

#1788 kurako, Jan 24, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2020
  9. kurako

kurako Regular Member

Skills aside, I have watched NagaMatsu play live on a few occasions, and feel that they have the worst chemistry amongst all of the national team WDs. There seems to be very little in the way of communication between them, with Nagahara, in particular, reacting to her partner's errors with visible disdain. It makes for stressful watching.

Pcyl likes this.
  10. Pcyl

Pcyl Regular Member

TakaMatsu 's team work is better than matsumoto-nagahra's team work. But I have a feeling Matsumot-nagahara as individuals, they each posssesses good power, speed and creativity. If matsumoto-nagahara are chosen for Olympics, I hope they will work on improving their team work. If they improve their team work, they will be good. I think the Koreans exploit their ability to work smoothly as a team. It is not that they cannot work as a team but they must improve, communicate and become better.

#1790 Pcyl, Jan 24, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2020
  11. lodoss

lodoss Regular Member

that is quite sad. they are still good enough to defend the gold in Tokyo, imo.

trizzforce likes this.
  12. terrynguyen121988

There is no XD this year, this is men's team and women's team event.

BeeKi and kurako like this.
  13. lodoss

lodoss Regular Member

think so. sort of a warm up for Thomas and Uber Cup in May this year i guess.

14. Mario21

Mario21 Regular Member

Why are Nozomi Okuhara and Kamura/Sonoda not selected ?

15. terrynguyen121988

this is a show of young or promising talents. In 2018, China didn't send Chen Long and Chen/Yifan, they will do the same this year.

This is just a mickey event.

16. terrynguyen121988

I've just heard Momota will skip India and Malaysia Open but not Singapore Open in April.

How about German Open and All England in March ???

Does anyone have a schedule of the team ?

17. kurako

kurako Regular Member

Nothing is clear at this stage, but if he makes a steady recovery, then, according to PJB:

German Open: No
    All England: Yes

18. terrynguyen121988

It sounds good, there is no need to play "all tours" like last year.

19. UKnowWho

UKnowWho Regular Member

maybe because Okuhara is plotted to get gold in Tokyo 2020, to avoid injury and she did not need any olympic poin again?

20. CLELY

CLELY Regular Member

The info has been circulating in social media couple of days ago, Momota will skip IND Open (S500), MAS Open (S750), INA Open (S1000) but taking part SGP Open (S500)?!

BeeKi likes this.