Badminton in Japan

Discussion in 'Japan Professional Players' started by gaDEfan, May 6, 2007.

1. kurako

kurako Regular Member

He always looks nonchalant, doesn't he? I would prefer to see a little more zest, but I don't know whether he has any. Naraoka hasn't been on the international stage for yonks, so I suppose it was a passable performance, ... but no more than that.

And Gillian Clark really had problems pronouncing his name! The result was similar to the British pronunciation of 'karaoke', which also has me wincing. o_O

2. Cunning Linguist

Cunning Linguist Regular Member

I think a positive was that he appeared less lethargic and faster than the last time I saw him. In between rallies he always looked like he was in heavy pain and on the verge of circulatory collapse. This was way better today. However, he still doesn't have weapons in his game and that is a much bigger problem.
    At the moment, he seems like a worse and less attacking version of Momota and you couldn't blame anyone for finding him boring, I'm afraid. Nevertheless, improvements are there and maybe he'll surprise us in the future. He could become that really annoying player people don't want to play against, for example on #3 in a Thomas Cup final.

kurako likes this.
  3. kurako

kurako Regular Member

I didn't watch any of yesterday's matches, but judging by the scoreline, Yamaguchi seems to have had a bit of a fight on her hands with Yvonne Li. Does anyone know how the match unfolded?

4. trizzforce

trizzforce Regular Member

I don't watch Singles enough to comment critically/technically. But long story short, Yamaguchi was down by about 4 match points in game 2 and then went on to win 6 straight points to take the match. Yvonne Li blew her lead and could not seal the deal.
    Generally, she did give Yamaguchi a run for her money (surprisingly!). I thought Yvonne Li was going to be a walk in the park but she made Yamaguchi work for all her points.

kurako likes this.
  5. sbad

sbad New Member

A number of unforced errors from yamaguchi. First she smashed/dropped out, try again, out again. Lost a number ot points trying to get the lines.

kurako likes this.
  6. Michael V

Michael V Regular Member

So Watanabe Koki isn't selected for the QF either... Hope he gets to play the SF. Why they continue to go for Nishimoto, I'll never really understand.

7. Cunning Linguist

I'm sure they have practice games. If Nishimoto beats KW there most of the time, it would be hard to justify putting him on the bench, especially since he's the senior and way more experienced.

8. terrynguyen121988

terrynguyen121988 Regular Member

I don't think Nishimoto play all out in the match last night.

After lost in the first game by some mistakes at the end, he has reason to throw the second game to save energy. (Japan already took the top of group D)

Nishimoto played well at the second game and throw the game at the end. (I feel that)

I think that his game is ok except the result.

9. kurako

kurako Regular Member

That could be wishful thinking. One of Nishimoto's problems in recent years is his inability to seal matches... even though, ostensibly, he has the requisite attributes to win. I think it was MS singles coach Nakanishi Yosuke who once pointed this out.

Unfortunately, however, there is no other convincing talent around. Watanabe Koki plays a fast, exciting game, ... but he never gets past the QF of the All Japan Championships, let alone anything else. And Naraoka, too, although technically gifted, appears far too passive to make an imprint.

The disturbing fact is that there is no post-Momota, ... and the same applies to WS. Who can take reins from Okuhara or Yamaguchi?

LenaicM, terrynguyen121988 and Pcyl like this.
  10. Pcyl

Pcyl Regular Member

Just my opinion. I think Nishimoto do not need to always play Momota's style. Momota is good in his style but the coach of Nishimoto should study his strong points and weak points. Nishimoto's strong point is his height and if he can jump a little his smashes can be deadly steep. Also I think Nishimoto has trouble to think as quick as Momota. He should try attacking more and let opponent do more "quick thinking" as to how to defend and counter attack. He should get so used to attacking that once he attacks he is ready for any counter attacks to attack again. That said, Nishimoto's defense is quite good I must say. But in a game of attack or be attacked, Nishimoto should train up to be a good attacker. If Momota had his height, who knows Momota might choose play lots of steep smashes just like Viktor Axelson. The reason Viktor Axelson does so well is he knows his strength and he makes full use of his height and long reach. Yamaguchi and Okuhara make full use of their abilities to execute dangerous flat attacks. Tall or short, you can actually capitalize on your height. Back in college days, I used to know a short player who plays very well. They make full use of their height as well. They also make full use of their abilities to think quick. So for Nishimoto, it is better to get tired from attacking the opponent than getting tired from the pressure of being attacked.

Nishimoto is also not good at taking pressure. When you are under attack you feel constant pressure. Too much pressure makes Nishimoto get tired easily. The pressure of improving attacks is better for him. But he can maintain his defense which is something good he can pick up from Momota.

I started writing this before watching the last match between Nishimoto and the young Korean. And i am happy to see that he did what I thought he should do.

#2390 Pcyl, Oct 15, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2021
    terrynguyen121988 likes this.
  11. Yeung Chao

Yeung Chao Regular Member

I am very curious. What did Park Joo Bong do to suddenly turn the entire table for Japan today ?
    Japan has been no stranger to badminton scene in early 1900s and they are always bullied by the traditional badminton nations.

I remember whenever I watch a match involving a Japanese player and any top player from South Korea/Indonesia/Malaysia/China/Denmark, the result is always predictable as if they are sparring partners.

When Japan won their first Olympic gold medal is Rio, I initially brush that off as a one-off luck win because they did not face the strongest opponents in China and they had the Zhao/Tian scandal to thank for. Since that Olympic, it is not the case. I see more and more Japanese players emerging from junior level to senior level and they could actually compete against top 20/30 players.

Park Joo Bong was a head coach for the national team but I am witness the development and growth in the mindset of players and their ability like an assembly factory.

So what did he actually do ? Did he sell Korean's technique to them and how did he manage to systematically overhaul the whole training structure.

12. kurako

kurako Regular Member

I tend to agree with a lot of this; except the part about getting tired. Nishimoto does not tire under pressure; he snaps mentally, and underperforms. Today, he played a careful, solid, defensive game, ... and even brought out a series of aggressive smashes towards the end. But with an opponent ranked so far beneath him, it is difficult to evaluate his performance.

However, the win will have certainly boosted his confidence. More than anything, he and Tsuneyama did really well not to buckle under the pressure. All three Korean MS players just looked so composed.

Have you seen the Uber Cup's list of players? Takahashi Asuka has been chosen as the third WS, and not Ohori!

Pcyl likes this.
  13. Pcyl

Pcyl Regular Member

I wasn't aware until you mentioned and I went to look it up. Yes, I have high hopes for Asuka Takahashi. Hope she will live up to my expectations for her. But, then again, if the players before her can get the win, she might not have to play.

Asuka Takahashi and Hirari Mizui are hopefully the future for Japan's WS. But Asuka Takahashi's footwork, wrist power, attacking instinct and controlling of the shuttle have impressed me. What she needs is to learn how to be consistent when under pressure. For MS , Kodai Naraoka, Watanabe Koki and Shimono ...

For WD , I thought Fukushima and Higashino was powerful. Anyway, ... Matsumoto can also do wonders on her better days.

hybisme and kurako like this.
  14. terrynguyen121988

terrynguyen121988 Regular Member

Coach Park should let Momota rest tomorrow.

I think that Momota's chance to win Shi Yuqi was low, under 30%, so that give him a break.

Just let Tsuneyama and Nishimoto play as MS1 and MS2, then choose Naraoka or Koki Watanabe for MS3.

If Japan goes to the final, we will have Momota back. If not, it's ok, try next year.

15. Nine Tailed Fox

Nine Tailed Fox Regular Member

That would destroy Momota's confidence and erase his morale and vigour.

16. Cunning Linguist

Another injury? Absolutely pathetic display (only matched by Steen by the way).

17. Pcyl

Pcyl Regular Member

Sayaka Takahashi has wild powerful swing of rackets. She is also a bit on slow thinker side (like me) but she can compensate it with powerful attacks. But you can get the most unexpected good attacks from her and the most unexpected mistakes.

#2397 Pcyl, Oct 15, 2021
  18. Michael V

Michael V Regular Member

Quite frankly, they've hit the jackpot with these WD combinations! Fukushima is just one of those all-around players that match well with anyone and Matsumoto is able to implement her front- and mid-court game better with her. The Matsutomo/Matsuyama pairing is just a joy to watch! Matsuyama has a very high work-rate comparable to Ayaka Takahashi's patience at the back, with the defense to match! The never-unlocked dimension to the Matsutomo/Takahashi pairing (aside from the obvious smash power needed from Matsutomo) was Takahashi being more creative and finishing shots at the front- and mid-court; while Matsuyama doesn't have the same smash power as Takahashi, she more than compensates with creativity and front-court adeptness. Really enjoyed today's game! And I've been enjoying seeing all of them smile, particularly Matsutomo again (full of cheers & high-fives!). The tail-end of her partnership with Takahashi was a bit fraught, especially that last match at the All England where they hardly acknowledged each other so it's nice to see her enjoying the WD game again, back with her speed, hold-and-flicks at the net, and amazing interceptions, shot placement & defense. Really hope JPN defends the Uber Cup tomorrow! Ganbatte!

#2398 Michael V, Oct 15, 2021
    samkool, KhoaHa, Cheung and 2 others like this.
  19. kurako

kurako Regular Member

Okuhara updated her Twitter account. Apparently, she hasn't been in a good physical condition since the Tokyo Olympics, but had been hoping to join the Uber Cup. However, upon spraining her ankle at a training session, Okuhara felt that she would be unable to contribute to the team, and pulled out. She will be returning to the regular circuit upon recovery.

20. Michael V

Michael V Regular Member

She’s not even entered for the tournaments in Indonesia… seems to be quite bad