Badminton in 2024 Olympic Games & 2020 Olympic Games

Discussion in '2017 Tournaments' started by Master, Jun 19, 2017.

1. nilesh123

nilesh123 Regular Member

student
    OMG, What's all the heat in here about.
    By considering how "not so interesting" the thread title is, (" well obviously badminton will be there (atleast in all the games in near future)) you guys are really boiling stuff here.
    Calm down.
    And let's hope for the best ever OG by far, if anybody can, Tokyo can...

2. Master

Master Regular Member

It's not clear enough until IOC make it confirm.

Some guys seems make some noise here (while Marin keep silent for a while).

For 2020 Olympics, badminton was 1 of 25 core sports indeed. In an effort to ensure the Olympic Games remain relevant to sports fans of all generations, the Olympic Programme Commission systematically reviews every sport following each edition of the Games.

3. nilesh123

nilesh123 Regular Member

student
    Yes, I agree. But somebody here put a link or something about badminton being 2nd most Popular sport (I don't believe, infact badminton being the 2nd most popular racquet sport is also arguably wrong). But yeah, after tennis, athletics, aquatics, gymnastics, football and volleyball, table tennis, badminton has to be in the queue to be crowned as a "core sport" untill in the coming 3 editions. Hands down.
    And the popularity is only increasing.

Also the fact that they exclude some sports in the next edition is really bad. Shouldn't every coming Olympics be better, more diverse and "bigger" in every sense. Like hey, if you wanna include X don't discard Y. Like the inaugural edition of tennis in Delhi CWG then it's discard in the very next edition in Glasgow.

4. nilesh123

nilesh123 Regular Member

student
    It's like every sportsperson has a dream to be an Olympian, and what if they are the best in the world but their sport is not an "Olympic sport" like billiards or snooker or like Kabaddi or Chess or squash or baseball.
    Although it's practically impossible but why not include a sport or two with every passing edition, atleast the ones which doesn't require extravagant infrastructure or is played by say Z number of countries and is not life threatening.

I mean why do sports like aquatics or athletics (some of them don't even make sense) have so many medals to distribute but sports like squash can't even establish their presence.

5. Yoji

Yoji Regular Member

I think its because athletics or Track&Field is the birth of any sports. Whether you play football basketball squash or any sports, it will begin with running. Thats why there are like 40+ medals in olympic(if not wrong) track and field. and sports like diving is just so difficult, make you in awe (looking at china sweeping most of divings gold in FINA WC in Hungary recently). It's just cool, sports that dont depend on strength otherwise america will win all.

6. nilesh123

nilesh123 Regular Member

student
    Yeah agreed, but what I am saying is, of money and extra medals or scheduling is/are the reason behind the non core sports to be "analysed" and then included (only one) to the Olympics, then they can cut short some events in athletics n aqautics or gymnastics.
    Like Softball/baseball, Wrestling, squash, roller sports all had to compete, cause there's "vacancy" for only one "non core sport".
    I am just saying, with the passage of time, and the growing economy and popularity and prestige of the extravaganza, OG i.e, they should include some more sports, one at time preferably.

7. Master

Master Regular Member

This article pretty much will give us the changes done for the upcoming edition of the Olympics from now on. The keywords are equality, modern & youth development.
    https://www.olympic.org/news/ioc-approves-five-new-sports-for-olympic-games-tokyo-2020

Its good that Tokyo became starting point of that action

8. samkool

samkool Regular Member

too pre-occupied to work
    getting bigger is part of the problem. as an event the spectacle is too huge for cities to afford now.
    that's a conversation for another day: which sports are 'sports' as opposed to merely a game. to be a considered sport a certain level of physical athleticism should be required. if the physical requirement is mainly standing/sitting/laying down + concentration & muscle memory it ain't a sport. archery/shooting? drop them. golf? drop it. billiards/snooker? ummm... not a chance in hell. then you open the door for darts. then come video games. if the best 'athletes' at your game/'sport' can be regarded as out of shape by the general population, are you really an athlete? equestrian should be dropped immediately. what does that have to do w/ human athleticism? who has the $$$ and can buy/raise the best horse? gimmie a ****ing break.

as far as dreaming to be a gold medalist? look at tennis. the best players do not regard it as very important. their highest priorities are the grand slams. it makes olympic tennis hard to care about. you may not follow track & field for 4 years but you sure as hell wanna know who the fastest man/woman is, right?

squash? i don't know what their issues are. lack of money and worldwide participation...?

9. nilesh123

nilesh123 Regular Member

student
    Actually I read somewhere if it wasn't for the "reconsideration" of "wrestling" squash would've been in. Yeah only few countries play it, let alone perform well, same for kabbadi (it was immediately dropped after it being the demonstration sport".
    Exactly my thoughts on Equestrian. Well for Video games and stuff they come in indoor and martial arts games organised. Why archery? One of the most difficult sport, and also very interesting to watch. Shooting ummm yeah they can cut off some events but considering it's still a "core" sport and how many nations effectively participate in it elimination it's no question.
    Golf yeah, they included it, and I was thrilled but on second thoughts golf just like F1 racing or MMA or Moto Gp is just a "rich people" "hobby" and only should be in their respective region of "earn huge chunks of money".

Agreed on the physical type thing that's why I won't consider Chess, but not including roller sports, cricket, squash and "reconsidering" wrestling are my concerns.

10. Master

Master Regular Member

Paralympic News:

Høyer Lauds IPC Decision

Badminton World Federation (BWF) President Poul-Erik Høyer is delighted badminton has been awarded 14 medal events for its debut in the Tokyo 2020 Paralympic Games.

He is equally pleased that 90 para-badminton athletes will have the distinction of representing their respective countries in the para-sports spectacle which will mark another major milestone in badminton’s history.

Speaking after yesterday’s announcement by the International Paralympic Committee of the Tokyo 2020 Paralympic medal-event programme (including quotas for all sports), Høyer said: “I would like to thank the IPC for its cooperation with the BWF and for affording our athletes with impairments this golden opportunity to compete at the highest level. I know they are eagerly looking forward to it – and they are a step closer as of today.

“Having 14 medal events, across which to showcase the diversity and excitement of para-badminton, will benefit both the sport and our athletes in the different disciplines. BWF is committed to producing an inspiring para-badminton debut that adds value to the Tokyo 2020 Sports Programme.

Now we know the overall number of para-badminton athletes for Tokyo 2020 and the medal events, we will turn our attention to the qualification process for the badminton competition.

The Badminton Programme for Tokyo 2020 features singles, doubles and mixed-doubles with an emphasis on singles (10 medal events) to ensure a wider range of National Paralympic Committees can qualify athletes for badminton.

The 14 medal events offer opportunities for wheelchair players (6 medal events), standing players (7 medal events) and short stature players (1 medal event for men) to qualify for the Tokyo 2020 Paralympic Games.

The qualification system for badminton for the Tokyo 2020 Paralympic Games will be finalised from September to November 2017 and this will detail how players can qualify. The IPC will publish the Qualification Guide in January 2018.
    [​IMG]
    Source:
    http://bwfbadminton.com/news-single/2017/09/05/hoyer-lauds-ipc-decision/

11. Master

Master Regular Member

12. ChildrenOfBadminton

ChildrenOfBadminton Regular Member

disgusting piece of **** taking the side of a frikin govt and dismissing valid concerns and talking in a condescending manner.
    Its been 5 years but you need to be put in place.
    1) no one cares where youve worked or what you do.
    2) Justin speculated there may be some issue and said the govt should come clean. nothing wrong with this, and ensuring safety is and SHOULD BE THE BIGGEST CONCERN OF THE IOC , no one ****ing cares whether they think of this as a cash cow or goat or their dying mother on her bed, ITS BASIC DECENCY BY AND FOR THE PEOPLE. The original poster has ABSOLUTELY NO NEED TO PROVIDE A PLAN FOR A BACKUP CITY OR ANY SUCH THING. If there is a will , there is a way. If you cannot respect simple opinions without sounding like a pathetic *******, better to keep your mouth shut. I believe this is the response you deserve for your "pixels".

13. vozer here

vozer here Regular Member

double post

14. vozer here

vozer here Regular Member

not aged well