Badminton crowd : loud or quiet?

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by kwun, Aug 24, 2005.

?

how should a badminton crowd cheer?

1. loudly! make lots of noise between and during rallies (eg. INA open)

5 vote(s)
    38.5%
  2. loudly, make noise only between rallies, stay quiet during rallies.

5 vote(s)
    38.5%
  3. quiet, hand clapping between rallies. (eg. JPN open)

3 vote(s)
    23.1%
  4. dead silence all the time.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    u didnt get my point. :rolleyes:
    I'm highlighting that in hockey, even potential game impacting infraction are sometime left uncall while in peter's case, it was a non-game cruical infraction and was called. This is about frivolous penalty calls, not about which sport has more body contact :rolleyes:

2. cooler

cooler Regular Member

If you can't handle howard's cheering to the crowd, YOU SHOULD NOT BE IN THE GAME.

oops, too late, another post :eek:

3. TrunkZ69

TrunkZ69 Regular Member

Student
    Wasn't the crowd at WC's nothing compared to a few asian countries? I thought the Malay. open and the Indo open were EXTREMELY loud!!! I have a few DVD's of them and the crowd is crrazzy loud. Though the players didn't try to get a rise out of the crowd, it was still louder than WC's. And i think they should be more leinent like Cooler said, esp during those really close games, you don't want to end the game on a sour note such as PG vs LD or the AE04 MD final.

4. harrycoomer

harrycoomer Regular Member

The crowds are indeed rowdier in the Malaysian open..

In particular one clowning around in a Malaysian flag and the Indonesian transvestite section (not sure why they are prominent in KL :) ).

5. cooler

cooler Regular Member

6. GGrebecca

GGrebecca Regular Member

I hope you listen to the webmaster kwun and start a thread of your own to discuss your negative viewpoint of Howard Bach. People who share your views or who feel like debating you can then click on your thread. It was already unfortunate manner on your part to try to hijack the OCBC thread with your less-than-expert putdown of Howard.

#46 GGrebecca, Aug 30, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 31, 2005
  7. GGsally

GGsally Regular Member

Crowd cheering

I don't know about the crowd cheering cos I've only been to 2 games in my life. One in Gwangchou and Anaheim, but I really was surprised there were still good seats to be sold even on August 18th for the last final games. Besides that, half the people there were people we knew!! 1/5 was from GGBC, I'm sure the others were from UBC and Smash City and OCBC or San Gabriel, then I even met 20 odd people whom I met while I was playing in VRC in Vancouver not to mention my VRC friends who were with me, greeting every 3rd person who came down the aisle cos they are buddies in VRC! So you can imagine the Badminton population here. BUT, thanks to Tony and Howard, I'm sure there will be a BIG upheaval in the game of Badminton and hopefully we will see much much greater audience number, therefore, your screaming fans, will arrive very soon! But I did scream so loud during the final game that we all lost our voice! Isn't that just so fun???

Sally

8. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
  9. carlol

carlol Regular Member

entreprenuer
    Professional players should be mentally tough... loud cheers during rallies should not break their concentration. As the saying goes... if you cant stand the heat, get out of the kitchen.

All things should have a limit though.... so actions directly affecting players such as camera flashes and throwing stuff into the playing area should be a no-no. I cannot imagine a Ron Artest vs the crazy crowd basketbrawl like incident ever happening in badminton though... :p

10. cooler

cooler Regular Member

no just only mentally tough but learn how to challenge external noise (cheering or booing) into your advantage over ur opponents

11. hcyong

hcyong Regular Member

Software Engineer
    Loud cheering during rallies is fine with me. If there is only one moment where there shouldn't be much noise, it is during service. Have you noticed that some people purposely make a loud noise (from some instrument) at the moment of service? That is unsporting.

If you insist on being quiet during rallies, what if there are four courts playing concurrently. Don't tell me the audience will have to quiet all the time.

However, it is not the decible of the cheering that is important. It is the manner of cheering that is important. For me, 2 things are important:
    1. Cheer for your player, not against the opponent. Love is good. Hate is no good. Things like booing the opponent when he questions a line-call should be cut down.
    2. Be sensitive to other spectators. Some instruments are extremely annoying, including those air-filled plastic clappers that are given out free. Do not keep banging on them. Also, if you stand up a lot of times, the people at the back will be annoyed.

12. cooler

cooler Regular Member

i would be too busy focusing on their (pros) techniques and footwork to do any screaming ;) although i would be much louder in double match than single match

13. seven

seven New Member

Computing Engineer
    I think the crowd should cheer lowdly all the time! :)
    This is what makes the game so enjoyable, both for players and spectators!

Personally as a player, whether cheering for me or against me, the more noise the better! That's when I play best! ;)

14. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired

Hi Seven, you seemed to have disappeared for a long while and there is total silence .... :confused:

But now you're back, we'll cheer loudly for you! :D

15. seven

seven New Member

Computing Engineer
    Hi Loh,

yes I have been quite silent recently... I've been quite busy and my internet at home is not working and I have less time to connect to BF... :(

Anyway, don't worry I'm still following the badminton world closely, and preparing my new season as a player too! :)

16. cheekygen

cheekygen Regular Member

This is an interesting topic to be discuss on.. I think there is no specific way or method on how the crowd should cheer; whether it should be loud or quiet because each country/culture is different in cheering. Instead, it is the player's mentality; the way they think...will decide if the crowd helps them to perform better or worst...... because the presence of others could enhance or hinder the individual performances... this could be explain by :

- Social Facilitation - The enhancement of dominant responces due to the presence of others. The mere-presence of crowd will help to enhance the player's performance. Take Tony and Howard for example, Tony mentioned that he was very tired during the rubber game with Chandra and Sigit but the crowd's cheering and support help him to persevere.... this can be a very good example of social facilitation .

- Distraction-Conflict theory - When one is working on a task, the presence of others is distracting and this distraction produces a conflict between paying attention to the game and paying attention to the game. This is very common situation when players lose focus especially when the crowd booing and making noise. When the player is distracted, they cannot pay attention o their game and this hinder their performance on court. We can observe this kind of situation in team events such as Thomas and Uber Cup.

I would say that it really depends on how smart the player use the crowd for their advantage. We often heard that people play better at home because of home ground advantage... it could be right if the players are in-form.... what if they are not in-form, the distraction comes in with the worry of being judged (evaluation apprehention) by others and pressure to win in front of the home ground hinder their performance. The Thomas Cup 2000 in Malaysia is a good example of this situation where Malaysia team failed to do well even though the stadium was full of people.

Even when we play socially, the mere presence of others do effect how we play... guys play harder and even dive to take a shot when some cool girls is watching them play. Some might be too shy and get nervous when they realize some cool girls is watching them play, hence, hit all outside..... so it also depends on individual personalities as well.

17. tobradex

tobradex Regular Member

IT industry
    Bobby you're a big man, make a big noise

I say cheer loud, all the time. It pumps you up, brings you down etc etc. I don't know any action sport that the crowd is told to be quiet with the exception of tennis and golf.

I don't think badminton is anything like golf (tennis, mm ok maybe similar but not the same). I think crowd involvement enhances most sports.

In golf and tennis the crowd needs to stay quiet because they need to concentrait on a difficult task, they train in mostly quiet environments no? Movements distract them. But other than people walking close to the court I don't think it distracts a badminton player?

The only thing is maybe if you play doubles and you need to hear your partner yell "OUT!" or "MINE!" (in whatever language). But even then your crowd needs to be pretty loud to drown that out. I say shout out all the time. Make it fun to watch and play.

18. $100 Dreams

$100 Dreams Regular Member

me too!! :p its like everyone is one big family for that moment!!

btw, i voted the first one!! :D

19. w3wmfhe

w3wmfhe Regular Member

badminton isn't goft or tennis ..it is more like basketball or volleyball.
    cheering for ur favorite or home player during the game , and making the game more enjoyable and hv fun

20. -George-

-George- Regular Member

Badminton Coach
    i think that cheering crowds is one of the features that make badminton unique-in a vast majority of sports people are expected to remain silent, take tennis for example. an excited badminton crowd creates an atmosphere like no other.