Badminton crowd : loud or quiet?

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by kwun, Aug 24, 2005.

?

how should a badminton crowd cheer?

1. loudly! make lots of noise between and during rallies (eg. INA open)

5 vote(s)
    38.5%
  2. loudly, make noise only between rallies, stay quiet during rallies.

5 vote(s)
    38.5%
  3. quiet, hand clapping between rallies. (eg. JPN open)

3 vote(s)
    23.1%
  4. dead silence all the time.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. wedgewenis

wedgewenis Regular Member

When watching badminton

Crowd Noise is good! - but I also must hear the shuttle being hit :eek:

- the solution is just how the ppl covering it setup/capture the sound for the event.

2. DaN_fAn

DaN_fAn Regular Member

Yes,i agree.Crowd noise btw and during the rallies infact add to the interest of watching a match..but definitely they should n't be that loud that i cant hear the Shuttle at all.Coz primarily i have come to watch a badminton match and enjoy myself.So,i would like it to be noisy during the rally[but not that noisy that i cant hear the shuttle sound at all] and after the rally anything will do.The crowd can scream their head off after the rally and i would n't mind.
    So my vote is like ,btw options 1 and 2.

3. YS_Po

YS_Po Regular Member

Loud anytime is good. I esp like the ooowwaaa Azwok was talkin about..

You are not allowed to interact with the crowd?... hmm how did he interact?? :confused:

4. aiyuuw

aiyuuw Regular Member

good 'ol student
    i like loud, encouraging, expressive and energetic crowd!!!!:D

love it, wc crowd is awesome, as for indo open (which i attended last year) the crowd was energetic, but slightly rude to indonesian players' opponent

5. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    The louder the better. Make the game more exciting. :)

6. Andy05

Andy05 Regular Member

Badminton Geek
    loudly! make lots of noise between and during rallies

I think getting a whole crowd behind you would be a big confidence boost. When the crowd is really cheering then it would make you up your game.
    Also if the crowd puts you off then you obviously aren't 100% committed to the game. The top pros in any game should be able to play with noisy crowds or they shouldn't play, with all their training and practice ignoring a crowd should be easy.

7. Eurasian =--(O)

Eurasian =--(O) Regular Member

Ya noise and exictement make games better! No question about it! Imagine an NBA game with no one cheering... it would suck, no electrical atmosphere, it would be kinda lame.

8. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Have you guys seen it when one players smashes and the crowd shouts out together just as the player smashes? And if it's a winning smash they go wild?

I just love that :D

9. red00ecstrat

red00ecstrat Regular Member

(Full Time) Coolie. (Part Time) Photojournalist.
    noise somehow was really annoying especially with those against u!
    i remembered that there was a game (but forgot in which tournament). that was peter gade vs soni dwi kuncoro. peter's performance was pretty bad just because of the noise which was made by soni's fans during rallies.

10. red00ecstrat

red00ecstrat Regular Member

(Full Time) Coolie. (Part Time) Photojournalist.
    forgot to mention. my vote's for "quiet, hand clapping between rallies. (eg. JPN open)"

11. sjoe

sjoe Regular Member

Engineer
    Loud or anything esle is fine but manner is important. Personnaly I don't like hooliganism like the sort of behaviour of some Indonesian supporters, abusing and intentionally blocking the other opposing supporters so to provoke confrontations, placing their banner infront of you to annoy you. I seen this alot and sat next to Indonesian supporters during Thomas Cup in KL, scary ! and poor 5 Danish fans with their flag was covered by a group of Indonesian supporter with their flag.

12. Trance

Trance Regular Member

Student ;)
    I think it should be loud to show support but sometimes during rallies it might be annoying. But of course if the rallies are exciting, who wouldn't get a little excited? :D

13. eggyolk

eggyolk New Member

i choose "loudly, make noise only between rallies, stay quiet during rallies". For me, badminton is fun and intense sport. Crowd that making noise during rallies is also fine with me but it should've respect on the other side.

14. Slammer

Slammer Regular Member

yeah its fun:D

but not if you're the one who's making the mistakes.

15. tze yang

tze yang Regular Member

World No. 3 In Outdoor Badminton
    i think it shld b loud...coz i dnt think the players will hear anything during rallies as theyre concentrating hard at least its like tht for me...i only hear cheers or sounds between rallies

16. harrycoomer

harrycoomer Regular Member

Howard got warned by the Umpire for excessive bragging :)

If he continued he would have been expelled from the game.

17. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    I'm against call for expulsion in that situation, it isn't detrimental to the opposing side(unless they make complaint)

I just wish umpire and service judges show more leniency on minor infraction that really doesnt impact the rally during crucial moment of the match (unless opponents makes complaint).
    For example, lin dan vs peter gade, 3rd game, 11-12 for peter and servicing underhand, service judge faulted peter for servicing a bit too high. I dont think peter gained any advantages on this error but at this crucial moment of the game, it hurts peter way more than the illegal serve onto LD. Peter never recovered and lost that 3rd game 11-15. I believed that service call secured LD the win IMO.

As for howard's excitement on court, same thing, the umpire should give pause and warnings. I'm glad the MD final outcome wasn't determined by some frivolous penalty on howard.

Take hockey for example, during sudden death overtime, especially on big games, players can basically do illegal checking, punching, grabbing, highsticking, etc while the referee overlook them unless they are meant to injure and/or crucial to the game outcome.

#37 cooler, Aug 29, 2005
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2005
  18. harrycoomer

harrycoomer Regular Member

at that level it is a mental game

If you cannot handle a bad line call, the umpire ruling against you, the crowd booing or your oponent psyching you out, you should not be in the game.

Lin Dan for instance never had his head in the game against Taufik. After trailing 13-0 in the first game, you think he would change his tactics.

While admiring a braggadocio is a matter of taste, comparing a contact sport like Ice Hockey to Badminton is inappropriate. All the racquet sports are still gentlemanly (and womanly ) affairs. In Tennis they even say "quiet please" :).

19. wmb2002

wmb2002 Regular Member

ice hockey is more like a brawl

Yup, ice hockey is more like a brawl than a sport. Badminton, on the other hand, utilizes a multitude of athletic and mental skills without intentionally hurting the opponents. So, comparing the two is like comparing apples and oranges. :eek: ;)

20. GGsally

GGsally Regular Member

Nice Howard

"If you cannot handle a bad line call, the umpire ruling against you, the crowd booing or your oponent psyching you out, you should not be in the game."

I think at that level, and the many years of training to get to that level, which most of us would never see the light of day, all players are quite ready for the challenges of all of the above. But I didn't know Howard was bragging. I kind of thought he was just wanting to get the crowd going and rooting for America. I kind of got caught in the hype too. I'm not even from America and I was rooting (is that right spelling) for them. I did see the umpire give him a talking, but thought Howard's reaction was very respectful. Maybe I know Tony and Howard and they are just such nice people so I want to root for them too. But I just have to say that I admire anyone that can even get near that kind of level. I suppose in any sport too, not just badminton.

I do agree that Lin Dan didn't seem to have too much fight in him, not like his game against Gate. I guess playing against Taufik is alot of pressure especially since Taufik seems the epitome of coooooollnessssss. Such admiration!!!

GGSAL