Badminton Commentators down the years

Discussion in 'Professional Players' started by cobalt, Jul 24, 2013.

1. visor

visor Regular Member

2. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    ^ Toooooo easy! :D I can't believe how innocent some guys can be! :p

But thanks for underscoring the legend :)

I was viewing this video about a week ago. Sounds like a knowledgeable couple on TV. Any ideas, people?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tRpcGaLxDIQ
    Sudirman Cup 2005

3. visor

visor Regular Member

phhhhhhhht: :p

4. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    You really fell for that one :D :D

5. **KZ**

**KZ** Regular Member

Student
    chinese commentators are interesting in the technical information that they discuss....but they are super biased....china and nothing else

6. renbo

renbo Regular Member

Chinese commentators are indeed very biased, but there are degrees, it depends on which chanel. But overall the people who criticized G. Clark for being unfair should listen to her Chinese counterpart!
    But the style is different. Except for Zhao Jianhua who is excellent, the others usually talk of anything but the match being played

7. renbo

renbo Regular Member

I am sure the commentators in Indonesia must give quite a show

8. phili

phili Regular Member

During the London Olympics you could hear some of the Korean (at least I think it was Korean) commentators in the background while watching the BBC Broadcast. I don't know who commentated but they dindn't sound to be that into the game. It was mostly "LYD/JJS smashing!"

9. scorpion1

scorpion1 Regular Member

Exciting one
    Is there any video where the match involved chinese commentators? Was that in english??

10. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    I can't recall which year but I think it was around the 2005-2007 period, and there was this pair of commentators on CCTV - a woman and a man, and they both sounded very clued-in and knowledgeable.

The lady especially was (by the "sound" of it) very appreciateive of, and excited by Taufik's play. She used to prattle on about some stuff, and then every time Taufik did a particularly styish or outrageous shot, she'd suddenly go "HOOOOEEE LAYYYY NAAAAaaaa???!!!!!" or something like that; she seemed to just get so totally turned on every time Taufik did his stuff. And the man would go, "Ohhhh! Thaufikk!!" It was kinda exciting just listening although I couldn't understand a damn thing; but the energy and enthusiasm was unmistakable.

I'd leave the audio on when watching, because it generally made for a more complete atmosphere when watching.

11. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    The World Championships are going on right now in Guangdong. Surely there are some good (and some great?) commentators doing their thing as we speak, on the Chinese television channels? Any names, and backgrounds? Any stories?

12. madbad

madbad Regular Member

I am particularly enjoying the Cantonese commentary team on GDTV. No idea who they are though

13. george@chongwei

george@chongwei Regular Member

Is XXF working 'part time' for them in this WC?

14. madbad

madbad Regular Member

I've seen her with headphones on but never heard a word out of her so far

15. Rudy2009

Rudy2009 Regular Member

banking
    Who is the male commentator on racquet channel for the 2013 world championship?

The guy loves to hear his own advice to the players , coaches etc.. it is like a bragging platform for him... phrases "like I said earlier" is just simply attention seeking. Comment on the game and don't call players name like that is stupid , I cannot understand why he keep using phrases like ," he should be doing this", " he should be playing to mid court" , those are not commentary . Viewers need would be better served if his voice injected more enthusiasm to the game instead of opinions. You don't hear football or even tennis commentators continuously giving out tactical advice like he was the coach... I was so fed up I turn off the volume ... but then I miss the sounds of the supporters and crisp sounds of well hit shots !

16. **KZ**

**KZ** Regular Member

Student
    he knows what he's talking about....he's former danish head coach steen pedersen....why r u being such a smartass? I find it very interesting and technical...and really..everything he said is right...look at the mens doubles matches when they employed the tactics he mentioned it worked

j4ckie likes this.
  17. volcom

volcom Regular Member

Same here, he sounded eerily similar to the very biased Morten Frost :rolleyes: it seemed like he knew it all....
    I recommend that he applies to be coach of LCW instead of TSB.

18. **KZ**

**KZ** Regular Member

Student
    Morten Frost WAS the coach that picked LCW to be selected into the national squad when he was national coach of Malaysia. Now you see, things you can learn from a commentator. Morten Frost is only biased towards Danish players but he gives every player credit. What do you expect man? I watch CCTV5 and the commentators are extremely biased....then again, I expected it. There is bound to be a little bit of bias support for their own countrymen, if not we should have commentators from Zimbabwe commentating in the finals or Americans.

#38 **KZ**, Aug 11, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2013
    j4ckie likes this.
  19. Rudy2009

Rudy2009 Regular Member

banking
    thanks for the info KZ , well he maybe a great coach he is still a lousy sport commentator with a boring voice . He and maybe you are professional badminton players but some of us prefer to do our own thinking and have our own biased support for our teams Malaysia Boleh !

20. **KZ**

**KZ** Regular Member

Student
    he's meant to be there as a colour commentator to provide information on the technical aspect of the game...gillian clark is still the commentator...she was a great player herself but then people like morten frost/steen pedersen and formerly wong choong hann were there to provide technical info on the game...and really...if you listen to what they say and what the coaches say in between the intervals...they are 80% right...it's amazing to me how these coaches think alike..