Badminton clubs in Denver, CO area? Best equipment for beginnner/intermediate players? Basically som

Discussion in 'USA West' started by MatiasMyles, Apr 9, 2020.

1. MatiasMyles

MatiasMyles New Member

Hello all,

I'm trying to get more advanced in badminton (I've been playing on and off for the past 3ish years), and I'm thinking of possibly joining a club. Does anyone know of a club in the Denver, CO area?

Also, what are your suggestions for beginner/intermediate equipment? Right now, I have a relatively basic set (but it's nice for beginner equipment), but I am unsure about the brand, etc. What are your suggestions?

What are the best ways to improve at badminton? I'm a figure skater (rinks are currently closed due to the virus), so I don't have an extreme amount of free time, but I do have some time right now since I am having online school currently.

Any answers to the questions asked are welcome!

2. Fidget

Fidget Regular Member

Figure skating should serve you well in badminton because of the strength and balance you must have. :)

There are lots of resources on this forum to learn different strokes, etc. But perhaps the best payoff comes from footwork drills. If you have bad technique, repetition will unlearn those habits. If you already have decent footwork, repetition will make you faster. And getting to the bird faster is a huge benefit.
    Search « shadow drills » or footwork drills on the forum.

As for equipment, the best investment is a good pair of court-specific shoes. The racket is something for you to figure out on your own through trial and error (« the wand chooses the wizard,Mr Potter »).

Cheung likes this.
  3. badmintonbites

badmintonbites New Member

For beginner/intermediate equipment, we'd recommend choosing a racket that is head-light to even-balanced and more flex (in the racket shaft) so that it is more forgiving for players that are starting out and working to improve their technique. Mis-usage of head-heavy and extra-stiff rackets may increase the risk of shoulder and wrist injuries for the players.

Regarding racket strings, those with higher stats in repulsion power can add extra power to a shot, which could serve to complement a beginner/intermediate player.