Badminton Bonanza 2011 Liverpool/London/Birmingham

Discussion in 'UK' started by zeddie, May 6, 2011.

1. padawanno

padawanno Regular Member

Had a fun time at London yesterday. Played in the mixed social. Didn't get past the group stage but won 2 out of 3 games. Just made too many mistakes in the second game which didn't help.
    Had lots of confusion as we couldnt hear our names being called out as the tannoy system was rusbbish at one our end.
    Will probably try again next year.

2. zeddie

zeddie Regular Member

IT Manager
    Had a wonderful time.. Lots of waiting around for games but that was expected. It was actually much better than the liverpool one in terms of organisation and enjoyment. Out at the group stages of singles social, but reached semis of mens doubles social.

Im playing in the league standard of mens doubles and singles so very worried!! i HAD to because my partner is playing mixed in league standard. The league standard in London looked very good indeed.

3. dlp

dlp Regular Member

Accountant / Coach
    Interesting they use the 30 minute timings at Bronze/SIlver events, with knock up change over and games going to 3 ends the average is more like 40 minutes, leading to a lot of long days

4. Akife Dar

Akife Dar Regular Member

Badminton Coach
    Hi Guys,
    How you do in Birmingham Bonanza on the weekend as I had played in the adualt social singles and Adualt mens doubles league too.

5. CarlBkk

CarlBkk Regular Member

fashion wholesale
    I way preferred Liverpool actually with the exception of the shorter waiting times between games at Birmingham. Hated playing at the venue...you just felt so small on that court with the huge open space and cavernous roof...made you completely lose perspective on the shuttle. Add that to the fact that the grey flooring had you having to estimate the boundaries when you smashed and it resulted in games, at least for me, making 3 times more errors than when playing in a sports centre. Having said that, I can't take away from the fact it's a great tournament and a great place to meet new people.

Social level continues to have league-standard players, some of them high league and no checking. If anyone else played against the eventual social doubles winners they'd probably agree that they would have won the League category as well!

6. zeddie

zeddie Regular Member

IT Manager
    Carl i totally agree.. I played the chinese guy who i believe reached the final of the social singles and he was far too good to be playing in that cat. Him and his partner won the mens doubles social as well.. crazy! I also agree about losing perspective in those courts. My drop shots from the rear court are normally inch perfect but i kept making error after error as I could not judge the distance properly. My clears also went out a lot :( I played in all 3 bonanzas and the best one by far was london. Still, the waiting times in Bham was much less and it was well organised. Also met some very nice people who i will continue to be in touch with. Cant wait till next year! I got knocked out 2nd round of singles, semi final in mixed doubles social and mens doubles we played league and lost all group games : ( Had to play league as my doubles partner was playing mixed doubles league.

7. AimUk

AimUk Regular Member

Managed to make it to London this year but was busy the next weekend for Bham- did go last year, got to the finals in MD league (not without the opposition losing track of the scores and kicking up a fuss) and quarters in MS league in London this year. London was very good fun and perhaps a bit better than Bham because the events were all over 1 day!

Totally agree with you on the courts, but everyone has the same issue, and it's minimised by swapping at 11. I found as long as I didn't worry about it or focus on the issue, it made my playing alot better. Don't know if i'll be able to play next year- if I end up playing county this year.

8. Akife Dar

Akife Dar Regular Member

Badminton Coach
    I agree with facts that due to condations at Birmingham the shuttlecock were too fast which maded me hit clears out to many times.I ask you Zeddie was the chinese player short in hight, because I played a person who was chinese in social singles and he acted as if he didn't care who he was playing and spoke as if he didn't understand English duing the game.I think he was make fun of me as I was making error in clearing shots and he just gave looks as if he was bored of it. I stop playing when he was serving and ask him are you taking the mick, he said sorry I don't understood.Anyway I did have game of single in my last one which was 21-18 and the player said "You work me hard " which we both liked.

9. zeddie

zeddie Regular Member

IT Manager
    Yes Akife, he was short in height and wearing black top and yellow shoes.. quite a cocky guy man!! Played him in round 2 and he destroyed me but didnt seem very friendly. Everyone else was just amazing though. Met a really nice guy from Indonesia in singles who im still friends with.