Badminton Bonanza 2011 Liverpool/London/Birmingham

Discussion in 'UK' started by zeddie, May 6, 2011.

1. zeddie

zeddie Regular Member

IT Manager
    I actually know 2 county players who are already registered to play mens doubles in the London bonanza. Absurd!

2. CarlBkk

CarlBkk Regular Member

fashion wholesale
    It seems to be the rules for the bonanza aren't that strictly enforced. It's worth an email to them asking what checks they do to ensure county players are excluded.

3. david14700

david14700 Regular Member

Guys and gals who've played in previous years, do you know what kind of prizes they give out for winning? Do they give anything?

Prizes in other tournaments seem to vary from cash, rackets, t-shirts to small trophies and medals.

4. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

Had my letter through from the organizers this morning...

"...due to the construction of the arena, games will be played on concrete floor - please bring appropriate footwear"

or words to that effect. Seems they didn't learn anythingfrom last time (or they're keeping mats back as a surprise).

5. zeddie

zeddie Regular Member

IT Manager
    I got my letter now too.. and just read that. Damn it : ( appropriate footwear.. what should we be wearing then, construction boots?!!

#25 zeddie, Jun 3, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2011
  6. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

Rumors still persist that mats will be there... but since there are fewer than ten Yonex mats in the world (yep), I don't think we'll be replete if they are used. They'll probably be given to the league players; the rest of us shouldn't scoop shuttles:D.

7. zeddie

zeddie Regular Member

IT Manager
    haha god i hope they have mats man.. ill bring my cement mixer in case there are pot holes :eek:) Give us a shout when youre there guys.. we should go for a drink or something. Im Zahid Ahsan and my doubles partner is Zhu Xiao

8. david14700

I assume you guys are talking about Liverpool or the NIA, cos Sobell is a leisure centre with indoor courts.

Anyone else here playing in the mens' over singles?

9. zeddie

zeddie Regular Member

IT Manager
    havent entered the mens singles.. mens doubles social only. im tempted to play singles as well tho.. worried abt getting spanked in league. have you entered social or league.

10. david14700

I had to enter the league as I've played in both Middlesex and Surrey leagues in the last 3 years.

I've never played singles in a tournament before so looking forward to it, should be fun. It's going to be a crazy atmosphere at Sobell with 16 courts going on at once.

11. CarlBkk

CarlBkk Regular Member

fashion wholesale
    Train booked, accommodation sorted (Embassie youth hostel to relive my youthful experiences!) and looking forward to singles and doubles at Liverpool this weekend.

12. zeddie

zeddie Regular Member

IT Manager
    Same! premier inn city centre booked, car filled up with diesel.. bags will be packed soon. Bring on liverpool :) Hope to see you there Carl

13. CarlBkk

CarlBkk Regular Member

fashion wholesale
    Not a lot of accommodation available in Liverpool for the Sat night. Premier Inn wanted £80 for a single!

14. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

Yeh - me. It's gonna cost me an extra tenner and I don't expect to get anywhere, but it's as good an excuse as any to playtest this Voltric. I can see it now: sat on my arse until doubles starts at 1... wonder if I can nip to Primark:D

15. zeddie

zeddie Regular Member

IT Manager
    carl, yea prem inn was expensive but luckily one of my friends who is also playing is a staff member of whitbread and she got us a room for £25! the deadline for the london bonanza has been extended now so i might play singles as well.. no harm in trying eh

16. CarlBkk

CarlBkk Regular Member

fashion wholesale
    yeah, take the singles as a bit of fun to test your fitness. Without constant playing and singles coaching it's so hard to get to a standard worthy of serious competition. I can't make the London one but will probably go to Birmingham. I don't play any league (came to UK mid-season) so entered social for Liverpool but will enter league for B'ham.

17. zeddie

zeddie Regular Member

IT Manager
    Omggg i didnt see any one in Liverpool : ((( We were out in the group stages so it sucked! How did everone do? Anyone playing in London and Bham? I am in singles and doubles social in both

18. david14700

So what was the standard like in league? Pretty high?

19. CarlBkk

CarlBkk Regular Member

fashion wholesale
    The standard in both Social AND League was higher than I thought. I played social and I can tell you most I played against could and should be playing in Division 3 at least. It's a good thing. I knew one strong player in league and he got into doubles final then lost and there's not a huge gap between his standard and some of the Social guys I played against. I got pipped at the end of the game in the singles semis but every game I had was good, although not so for the doubles. Will be entering League for both in B'ham. Anyone needuy a partner?

Bonanza pluses: mostly good friendly guys after the games, high standard, good off-court activities, great Yehlex coach and a brilliant way to spend a rainy Sunday.

Minuses: no setting, no co-ordination between singles and doubles callups, far too long to wait for games in the group stages.

Floor was ok in the end!

20. david14700

Thanks for the report.

How many games did you get in the group stages and how long was the wait between games? Did the coach give group lessons to anyone or did you have to sign up? The coach wasn't Lee Jae Bok was it?