Badminton ASIA Team Championships 2020 (11-16 February)

Discussion in '2020 Tournaments' started by CLELY, Jan 29, 2020.

1. wade

wade Regular Member

Kevin/rian could be good, not a fan of ahsan/kevin tbh, Idk their playing style seems doesn't match, I like fajar/ahsan better.

2. yuquall

yuquall Regular Member

We haven't seen Ahsan/Kevin's full potential yet in highest level of tournament, can't say much.

Fajar is a bit like Hendra at the front (or some say so) it's like watching a less refined and younger version of Ahsan/Hendra.

3. wade

wade Regular Member

I've seen enough of them at the club competition and not that impressed tbh, I just feel like their playing style is not really compatible. kevin seems to enjoy a higher pace more and like to take risk, ahsan couldn't really keep up with him, fajar is a better fit since his playing style is more or less like hendra.

4. yuquall

yuquall Regular Member

Because so far Ahsan and Kevin are two individuals that played together in club competitions. They didn't even need to work together as a team to beat the opponents. I would like to see them work as a team, not two individuals playing together as a pair. And see how they could develop from there. That's what I am really dying want to see. But I don't think it would happen anyway.

5. wade

wade Regular Member

Maybe you're right, still doesn't think they're compatible in terms of playing style. I want to see kevin/rian more instead (after the olympics maybe), let ahsan play with fajar, and hendra with gideon.

6. yuquall

yuquall Regular Member

Hendra/Marcus as the leftovers? Sounds just like what the KBA would do lol

7. wade

wade Regular Member

Or maybe could try leo/gideon and hendra/daniel, try to guide young players :D

8. ngkt67

ngkt67 Regular Member

Fun Fact:

Indonesia Men's Team has won Asian Team Championships 3 times in a row, won 2016, 2018 and now 2020...

9. yuquall

yuquall Regular Member

But never win the Thomas Cup...

10. MezzL

MezzL Regular Member

Kevin/rian would be a disaster lol, both of them are very error prone. I agree fajar/ahsan looks good, especially considering this is only their first ever match together.

Anyway JC lost again, don't know what happen to him.

11. CLELY

CLELY Regular Member

True, WR #72 stuns WR #7, what a major upset!

Because there's live streaming through dian anita youtube ;)

All podium finishers :
    upload_2020-2-16_19-28-9.png

3-1 for Indonesia to be the best men's team in Asia while Malaysia grabs silver medal but showing progressive development.

Anthony Ginting, Gideon/Sukamuljo did their job, fulfill the expectation to beat Lee Zii Jia and Aaron Chia/Soh WY respectively with same pattern in opening game when Malaysian players couldn't grab momentum at game point. The below-par Jonatan Christie choked again, lack of self confidence, looks really tired throughout the match, he fails to convert three match points instead going down to Cheam June Wei, a big credit for this underestimated player, at the brink of losing Cheam still pumped up to maintain his team chance alive, ended the nail-biting clash with 24-22. Luckily, the scratch pair displays something that needed most, Ahsan/Alfian secure INA winning point to tackle Ong YS/Teo EY.

INA men's team creates hat-trick to lift BATC trophy once again, bring all bests to Manila they're overwhelming favorite among all participants but sorry to say their overall performance is far from impressive and convincing, especially semifinal and final. Almost humiliated by India team in final four to exploit Indonesia weakest side, MS2 & MS3. A homework to solve before real competition is on in Aarhus.

It'sMeMeMe, yuquall and Baddie lover like this.
  12. CLELY

CLELY Regular Member

Correct, 2016 & 2018 slipped, hopefully it'll be realized in 2020 ;)
    2020 it's the right and best moment for INA to bring back Thomas Cup otherwise must wait longer time...

yuquall likes this.
  13. yuquall

yuquall Regular Member

Looking at the Singles performances in this tournament, it's hard to imagine them bringing back the cup though to be honest
    Anyway, this year I am rooting for INA (I assume there will be no LD and ZN in CHN team).. hopefully they could do much better in TC.

14. ngkt67

ngkt67 Regular Member

Japan, don't forget the Japan...
    and Denmark too...

15. yuquall

yuquall Regular Member

No one is forgetting them. Rooting for a team doesn't mean I think they will definitely win:D Just hoping they could win or at least do their best.

16. wade

wade Regular Member

So maybe kevin should just keep playing with gideon, let ahsan play with fajar and hendra with rian :D

pradeep chand likes this.
  17. CLELY

CLELY Regular Member

The best formula for INA to reclaim Thomas Cup, MS1 + 2 MD. Denmark and Japan (if King Kento played) will be their main stumbling block, don't forget India who could pose dark horse with their unpredictable singles players.

Are you sure that China will not include Super Dan & Zhang Nan to Aarhus?:D China have no many options for MS3 & reserved players in singles department instead of the inconsistent Huang YX & Lu GZ, also their lackluster men's doubles discipline, maybe they still need old guard service ;)

*FINAL RESULTS FOR THOMAS-UBER CUP QUALIFYING ROUND*

THOMAS CUP
    Host : DENMARK
    Trophy Holder : CHINA
    Asia Zone (4) : INDONESIA, MALAYSIA, INDIA, JAPAN
    Europe Zone (4) : NETHERLANDS, FRANCE, RUSSIA, ENGLAND
    PanAm Zone (1) : CANADA
    Africa Zone (1) : ALGERIA
    Oceania Zone (1) : AUSTRALIA
    WORLD TEAM RANKING (3) : CHINESE TAIPEI, KOREA, THAILAND

UBER CUP
    Host : DENMARK
    Trophy Holder : JAPAN
    Asia (4) : KOREA, MALAYSIA, THAILAND, CHINESE TAIPEI
    Europe (4) : GERMANY, FRANCE, SCOTLAND, RUSSIA
    PanAm (1) : CANADA
    Africa (1) : EGYPT
    Oceania (1) : AUSTRALIA
    WORLD TEAM RANKING (3) : CHINA, INDIA, INDONESIA

#257 CLELY, Feb 16, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2020
    yuquall likes this.
  18. UKnowWho

UKnowWho Regular Member

anyone know about which week of player rank will be used by Thomas/Uber Cup later to decide who will be 1st single, 1st double, and so on?

19. spicychoco

spicychoco New Member

How to decide who would be MD1 and MD2 if 2 new pairs are formed from 2 existing pairs when all 4 players never play with other partners throughout the year? For example if yesterday the doubles were Kevin/Ahsan and Hendra/Gideon.
    (I suppose if they try this in next Thomas Cup, there will be slight point difference between Ahsan and Hendra becausr Ahsan has slightly higher team event point than Hendra from defeating Ong/Teo yesterday?)

20. yuquall

yuquall Regular Member

They usually take individual points and divide it or subtract whatever.. Notional ranking is what will be used.