Badminton and Heart Health

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by Sumanth99, Jun 14, 2021.

1. Sumanth99

Sumanth99 Regular Member

Software Engineer
    Playing intense session of badminton gives good cardio and in turn helps in heart health, this is true for recreational and professional levels. But very surprising and sad thing to note is retired professional players dying of heart attack, Jung Jae Sung in 2018 and today we lost beloved Markis Kido. I remember seeing Kido playing in insta just a few days back, I am sure he is doing physical activity regularly. In my knowledge eating decent and physical activity should eliminate heart attack risk, of course there are other factors like stress etc.

I am no expert in this area but I think it will be interesting and useful to have discussion on these points.
    1. Professional players peak their heart beat/performance while playing, but after retirement that drops to quite an extent, same is the case for diet. So is it possible that their bodies are getting effected due that decline in intensity combined with eating relatively unhealthy food? May be their bodies attain a certain high threshold that they need to always maintain compare to normal people?

Also let us use this thread to discuss diet, lifestyle related items and also in relation to badminton.

2. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    khoai and Sumanth99 like this.
  3. Fidget

Fidget Regular Member

That’s a good article.
    The super summary (salient to the OP’s question) is that not all heart events are a result of poor eating clogging arteries and years and years of high level exercise in some people can cause heart problems.