Badm in Amsterdam

Discussion in 'Europe' started by trapped-never, Sep 5, 2001.

1. trapped-never

trapped-never Regular Member

telecommunication engineer
    Hi guys,

any ideas where to play amateur badminton in Amsterdam? How to challenge a partner if do not know anyone down there? Thanx

2. Erik

Erik Guest

Neem eens kontakt op met het secretariaat van het distrikt.
    Daar heeben ongetwijfelt informatie over alle badminton clubs in A'dam en direkte omgeving E-mail nbbnhz04@planet.nl
    Succes.

3. trapped-never

trapped-never Regular Member

telecommunication engineer
    Ahoj Erik,

I am not an expert on Dutch language, but I understood that I should contact guy on that E-mail to get further info. Thanx a lot, I'll do that.

4. Erik

Erik Guest

I am sorry, I thouhgt you were Dutch. I referred you to the regional office (see the E-mail Addres) I am sure they have all
    sorts of information on clubs in the Amsterdam area.

Sorry again.

Erik

5. Chris

Chris Guest

What's the weather like in Amsterdam now, Erik?

6. Angel-a

Angel-a Regular Member

2 years later....................................................

7. jcl49

jcl49 Regular Member

Badminton near Vrije Universiteit (Free University)

Hi
    I am about to start a summer job in Amsterdam. I live on VU's campus. Are there any clubs near by (seeing I don't have a car and don't know Amsterdam very well)? Thank for reading.

Jimmy

8. Hoeba

Hoeba New Member

Hi Jimmy,

VU had a badminton club on the campus (ASVU Badminton), but unfortunately they decided to pull the plug.
    Other clubs are a bit further away (15-40min), so you'd have to buy a bike or go by tram/metro (I'd recommend a 2nd hand bike; you can always sell it later on).
    US Amsterdam: www.us-amsterdam.dds.nl
    BVA: www.bv-amsterdam.nl
    Martinus Amstelveen: http://home.kabelfoon.nl/~tabeling/
    Van Zijderveld: www.vanzijderveld.nl
    Slotermeer: www.bvslotermeer.nl

But.. Most clubs close during summer (June/July/August).. It's possible to play at US Badminton starting from August 10, if I'm right.

9. jcl49

jcl49 Regular Member

Amsterdam South Area (for the summer period)

This is what I found after sending lots of emails to clubs. Hope this help anyone in my shoes, now I have at least 2.5 clubs to play at!!

---------
    Sun:
    "Bijlmer Sportcentrum, Bijlmerpark 76, tel. 020-6972501. The building is next to a construction site, when you go by car, it's on the Bijlmerdreef (street). We play from 10 AM - 1 PM. "
    ----------
    Tue:
    "20.00-21.30 in Amstelveen (naer to Amstedam) Bus 170 stopped near to the sporthal De Meerkamp , van der Hooplaan asked
    the driver.
    It will cost you 22,50 euro. Shuttles we have and are free."
    ----------
    US Badminton:
    "We are the US Badminton club, a club that has a lot of student and
    ex-student players playing. We play competition with 11 teams. We play in
    the Wibauthal, which id near Weteringplein. You can reach it by Tram (nr.51)
    in 10 minutes from the VU, or by bike. I think it's a 20 minute ride. We don't play in the summer, but we'll start in August with the new season. You can also check our site for extra information: www.us-badminton.dds.nl. "

10. qiquan

qiquan Regular Member

Postdoc
    Hi Jimmy

I might be going to VU too and I am really looking forward to find one professional club, any idea that I can find the website for the badminton rank list of best player in Amsterdam. I wish to know their club and to look for these players and may be joining their club. I will be gladful to receive your good news as badminton is really important to me:).

Thanks
    TOH

11. Hoeba

Hoeba New Member

Hi qiquan,

The best clubs in the Amsterdam region are badmintonclub Van Zijderveld (www.vanzijderveld.nl) and badmintonclub Slotermeer (www.bvslotermeer.nl). Van Zijderveld plays at the highest national level, Slotermeer at second highest national level.

More info on rankings:
    www.badminton.nl/competitie/bigbossliga/bigbossinfo.htm (highest competion level)
    www.badminton.nl/competitie/bondscompetitie/competitieprogramma.htm (1st division is second highest level)
    www.badminton.nl/topbadminton/ranglijsten.htm (individual rankings)

12. qiquan

qiquan Regular Member

Postdoc
    Hi Hoeba

Thanks for important information and I will definitely try to look for these clubs if I am going to do my PhD study there. I am really glad to have the rank list's link too as I am also playing in Berlin ranking tournament (www.badminton-verband-berlin.de). Unfortunately I am still in the C-class, that means only the top 60. I hope to have some improvements in Netherland, at least to upgrade myself to B-class.

Best regards
    Qiquan

13. Hoeba

Hoeba New Member

US Badminton can be found at www.usbadminton.nl . The site I previously mentioned, is not available anymore.

For people who want to find all clubs in Amsterdam, visit Digisport.nl (scroll down that page and look for 'Amsterdam'.

#13 Hoeba, May 23, 2005
    Last edited: May 23, 2005
  14. jcl49

jcl49 Regular Member

van Zijderveld feels like a national training academy. They have proper training sessions (group running to warm up), proper drills and excersises. If you want to play casually (in a club with some friends), maybe that is not he best place to go to.

But (for qiquan) if you want regular training, that is the best place! To be fair, they are probably the best club in Amsterdam to play in.

#14 jcl49, May 23, 2005
  15. jcl49

jcl49 Regular Member

If you live on the VU campus, then USbadminton will be the most convenient (but maybe not the most suitable...if you are top 60 in Germany). You can walk there from the main building in 10 min. Also, you can take out gym membership (quite cheap for students), meaning you can combine some fitness training and a few games of badminton in one trip.

PS Dutch transportation (has been, and still is) sooo efficient...highly impressed

#15 jcl49, May 23, 2005
  16. theorem

theorem New Member

student
    I am going to start my master study in Amsterdam. I want to play in these clubs but the web sites have no English versions. I speak only English and Chinese. Is there any clubs in which I can communicate with others in English?

17. GavWallace

GavWallace Regular Member

Guys,

does anyone actually have an e-mail or contact details for vanzijderveld? I am in Amsterdam quite a lot with work and looking to do training etc with them...

Gav

18. parmaham

parmaham Regular Member

BV Slotermeer has some info in english on it's website. And you can always contact the club at badmintonver.slotermeer@chello.nl in english, most people in holland speak english good enough....

19. parmaham

parmaham Regular Member

Try info@vanzijderveld.nl

20. ifarnung

ifarnung Regular Member

Places to play in Amsterdam?

I will be in Amsterdam in a couple of days for about a week and a half, and I was wondering if anyone knew of any places to play that are open in the summer?

Thanks for any info.