\Bad"min*ton\, n

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by kwun, May 3, 2002.

1. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    bad·min·ton Pronunciation Key (bdmntn, -mtn)
    n.
    A sport played by volleying a shuttlecock back and forth over a high narrow net by means of a light, long-handled racket.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    [After Badminton, the Duke of Beaufort's country seat in western England.]

Source: The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
    Copyright © 2000 by Houghton Mifflin Company.
    Published by Houghton Mifflin Company. All rights reserved.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

badminton

\Bad"min*ton\, n. [From the name of the seat of the Duke of Beaufort in England.] 1. A game, similar to lawn tennis, played with shuttlecocks.

2. A preparation of claret, spiced and sweetened.
    Source: Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary, © 1996, 1998 MICRA, Inc.

badminton

n : a game played on a court with light long-handled rackets used to volley a shuttlecock over a net
    Source: WordNet ® 1.6, © 1997 Princeton University

2. Hugo

Hugo Regular Member

Electrical Engineer
    Thank you Kwun for that precise, informative, authoritative, and educational definition of badminton.:D

3. Yogi

Yogi Regular Member

I thought the lightness of the racket depended on the person who is going to use. I thought there were never subjective things in Def. I am surprised though when they say light and long handled.

I think Tennis has a longer handle and squash something equal. So how can they ever define a thing with reference to something else. So i would not subscribe to the views of the guy who defined it.

I am just trying to draw up an useless argument. So if u jobless too then post here.

4. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    yeah. i thought the definition is kinda strange too. similar to lawn tennis ?!?

does anyone have an encyclopedia? the explanation there may be more accurate.

5. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    it goes to show how little the general public to academics understood badminton

6. marshall

marshall Regular Member

Computer Security Manager
    Don't try this at home

I made the drink. Awful, like a cheap wine cooler teenagers would buy when they decided it would be cool to drink.

The english aristocracy must have been hard up to have invented this.

7. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    marshall, you are indeed the badminton fanatic. i didn't even pay attention to that drink definition. :)

i did a little bit of searching on the web, here is the recipe for everybody who'd like to try. what a strange set of ingredients for a drink!

8. Mag

Mag Moderator

Graphic Designer
    Cucumber

OK, the nutmeg sounds weird, but the Brits seem to like the cucumber as a cocktail ingredient. When I lived in London, my landlady, who by the way had a dangerously close relationship to the bottle, taught me the recipe of Pimm's Cup, where the cucumber it a vital ingredient. It's still one of my summer favourites, but Pimm's is hard to get hold of here in Sweden...