Backhand vs Overhead for double

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Obito, Oct 16, 2018.

1. Obito

Obito Regular Member

I'm curious since I love to play backhand a lot. I even trained backhand before overhead shot since I do not like the overhead shot personally. My backhand is decent in my opinion since most of the time the shot went pass 3/4 of the court and I'm no where near pro, and I'm still working on it. Moreover, the opponent most likely unable to kill and take the score after my backhand. I mean my backhand mostly either offensive or neutralize the shot, but it is still not perfect. I think it is because I like Goh V Sham playing style. He is most likely the only double who tend to use backhand a lot more the others.
    On the other side, I can perform overhead shot as well, but most of the time my body just turn automatically waiting for backhand. Yet, I realize that I have reach the bird slower than it should be when I use my backhand, but most of the time when I use overhead I feel like I put myself into trouble with it. When I perform a china jump overhead, it seems that my smash is too weak and it is harder to reach the returning shot especially when the defender cross court lift to the other side.
    People said I need to stop using my backhand instead using the overhead[ In my opinion, my overhead is weaker and put me into the trouble most of the time ] I just feel like if I could master my backhand. there would be no problem since some pro are still use it, but I just need to make sure that Im at least as half as good as their.
    Should I keep focusing and try to master my play style , or should I could play less backhand?

2. lurker

lurker Regular Member

you could be the next taufik hidayat!

or kim sa rang?

3. LenaicM

LenaicM Regular Member

I think it'd just be right to keep working on both. Improve your backhand to the point it gets even better and improve your round the head to the point it would not put you in trouble anymore.

4. Obito

Obito Regular Member

lol hell no they are too good, but I love their play style tho. It is very relax.

5. Tactim

Tactim Regular Member

Nurse
    It would be much more to your advantage to develop your overhead shot more. You will find that improving your overhead backhand in doubles has less of an impact on the game than improving your overhead forehand shot. Having a solid backhand when you're in trouble is important to have, and even being able to do a smash or drop to maintain the attack (the neutralizing shot as you mentioned) is a big plus. But your attacking options and awareness of opponent's positions are so much better with a forehand overhand it just don't make sense to take a backhand overhead when you had time to do a forehand.

In a doubles game, I can count how many times on my fingers that I will have to take a backhand overhead because I've developed my speed and movement to almost always hit a forehand.

Try it out, I don't think you'll be disappointed. As long as you have a solid reliable backhand, don't need it to be taufik level, that's great.

llrr and Obito like this.