Backhand defence grip - who is correct?

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by UkPlayer, May 28, 2022.

1. UkPlayer

UkPlayer Regular Member

Academic

1. Use backhand grip - switch to bevel for forehand

2. Use bevel grip for both - no time to switch

3. Bevel with switch to forehand

4. Thumb on shaft joint area

#1 UkPlayer, May 28, 2022
    Last edited: May 28, 2022
  2. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Lee Jae Bok’s grip looks more suited to singles compared to doubles.

There’s more than one way to skin a cat:

players should experiment a bit with the different grips to see which they feel more comfortable with. If your handle is bigger or smaller, that could also have a bearing on which grip might be more ‘correct’.

BadmintonDave, UkPlayer and Woesi like this.
  3. UkPlayer

UkPlayer Regular Member

Academic
    That was my thought as well, I use bevel but I've been experimenting with the backhand grip recently to see what happens. It does seem to give me more power on the lift but as lee jae bok says it's difficult to change the grip when a smash is coming at you, I don't find it easy even switch back to bevel.

The second video gives the most reasoning behind the choice but I find it interesting that it directly contradicts the first. The fourth video I haven't tried this yet and am looking forward to seeing what happens with that, I've sometimes used that grip for backhand forecourt smashes and net kills in certain situations.

#3 UkPlayer, May 29, 2022
    Last edited: May 29, 2022
  4. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    I have been working with a few different coaches. Sometimes, the preparation is different for strokes. But the main thing is as you hit the shuttle, that’s the most important part to concentrate on.

I have learnt three ways of doing a doubles drive. One from China style about twenty years ago, a more strength style like Korean and then the latest one which is more Malaysian Indonesian type stroke. But all have that essential quality of the striking point being similar - preparation and follow through are different.

5. UkPlayer

UkPlayer Regular Member

Academic
    Having spent a significant amount of time training this, Lee Jae Bok's style is the one I settled on, absolutely makes sense to me as does pretty much everything he says.

6. ralphz

ralphz Regular Member

I have seen a starting with "neutral grip" and changing grip.

The argument being. You have time. If you train it. You have time. And that's probably true. Especially if you train with somebody that can smash it at least as hard as the hardest smasher in your club. Or lifting it short sometimes in training. Or having them throw the shuttle at you from quite near. Really smash defense is very trainable. If seeing a coach to improve anything then smash defense is probably the easiest thing make big improvements on. If a coach smashing at you believes you have time to change grip, he is probably right, and can train you for that.

And I have seen starting with bevel grip and if they hit it around chest height on forehand side, then bending wrist back allowing a natural grip change to somewhat panhandle.

And, I have seen more of a beginner level way of saying stick to an extreme backhand grip and if the opponent hits it to make you stretch on forehand then let them have the point and say "well done" or "good one" or acknowledge their good winning shot, I have seen that one coached. But even with the extreme backhand grip there are probably some that practise the forehands. Though I am not sure how much coaches tend to coach that one. I have heard of moves towards the bevel grip one I mentioned a bit earlier in this post(though not to say there is no change of grip there). And there is the neutral grip one with changing grip.

When getting coached in smash defense then as you improve, it feels as if you have more time and you can do more on the time and get quicker at what you do in the time.

The "you don't have time" thing is crazy dogma trying to rule out other peoples methods or methods they don't personally use or believe in or want to teach. But there are some that teach it just fine and then oh look you did have time after all.

7. UkPlayer

UkPlayer Regular Member

Academic
    I don't think LJB is dogmatic, he suggests to do things that make sense to you and not other players. I ended up with same grip after playing around during defensive drills, it was only later I re-watched the video and realised I had come to the same conclusion that I can get a better defensive coverage than with any other grip. This was already staring from a point of first division and no I don't think I have much time on the shuttle when County players are continually pushing up on the net to try and kill the rally off which is the reason I went back to explore my defence further.

Other people can do what works for them if they feel like adding a layer of complexity to their defence for whatever reason.

Also only doing drills with a hard smasher make no sense whatsoever, unless you're working in a group where people can switch back and forth, nobody is going to hard smash at you for defensive training for more than a short period of the session unless they want to put their shoulder out. Much more effective to put someone at the net hitting it down to you if you want to up your reactions, or half smashing to train lifts. Placement is much more important than how hard it is beyond a certain point anyway.

#7 UkPlayer, Jan 28, 2023
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2023
    Cheung likes this.
  8. rbynck

rbynck Regular Member

I am team backhand grip. I have to try it out next time, but I don't see how I'm supposed to do a backhand in my forehand with a bevel grip.
    It also seems easier to return a high smash with a 'flat' backhand grip.