Backhand clear/smash, follow-through or not?

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Benasp, Sep 28, 2013.

1. Benasp

Benasp Regular Member

Some youtube coaching video argue that you should not follow through like this one

but world number one and two clearly seem to follow through in the same way in this video

Are both way acceptable of is it preferable to folow through.

Thank

2. visor

visor Regular Member

We've discussed this in previous backhand threads before.

To summarize, there shouldn't be much follow thru after strike... mainly because the shoulder joint has almost reached the limit of its extension and external rotation at that point, and so doesn't allow follow thru to occur!

Coach Lee in that first video however, in his attempt to emphasize a point (just like most coaches), has purposely compacted his strike. In reality, there's a bit of follow thru after strike as the shoulder collapses under relaxation and also because the momentum of the racket still continues. It would not be wise nor helpful to stop your stroke like Coach Lee does every single time you play a backhand, as this would lead to joint injuries.

When you see pros play this, especially singles players, you see them turning the body and shoulder into the strike so that they can rapidly recover to face the opponent after strike. What you see then is not shoulder follow thru but the incorporation of a body turn maneuver into the backhand shot. Makes sense?

Here's the master in slow mo :D

[​IMG]

3. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
    here's Baiyi coach's explanation:

[video=youtube;bNvGWHhSDxQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bNvGWHhSDxQ[/video]

4. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
    btw, where should i place my thumb? i heard of three possibilities, but don't know which is best.

5. Tadashi

Tadashi Regular Member

AE278BB6CBB7487C0FF7AE706177CDE2E45AC583 is my dig
    Thumb: position is so to make the shuttle go where you want to.

6. swunk

swunk Regular Member

oh i've seen this vid from coach lee and it's sortta not thorough at all. of course when you take the shuttle in midcourt or just a little deeper, and when you're comfortably hitting it at your side, you won't need the followthrough to clear it to the opponent's baseline. But when you're a little late and you're chasing the shuttle to the very baseline, not only you need some followthrough, but you need to speed up the racket by making a leap, which you can clearly see LCW doing in the animation.
    'Bout the thumb - pros don't place it on the backhand side when hitting backhand but they have a very good racket head control, the recommendation for an average player is to use the normal backhand grip like Tadashi describes.

7. visor

visor Regular Member

Thumb:
    When I do remember occasionally to use the bevel grip ie thumb at bevel, I do get a tad more power. I think it's because it frees the thumb and allows more thorough supination.

8. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
    #8 pcll99, Sep 30, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2013
  9. OhSearsTower

OhSearsTower Regular Member

lin dan is not following through

he brings his racket back nearly immediately after impact

it just LOOKS like he is following through because he turns his body and lets his arm move in the direction of the stroke AFTER the he did not follow through

i hope my explanation makes sense

im very surprised about the lcw technique in the linked video, does he do it that way always?! looks unusual for me
    but he also does not really follow through but turns his body very quickly

#9 OhSearsTower, Sep 30, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2013
  10. R20190

R20190 Regular Member

Chartered Civil Engineer
    I use the bevel grip for most of my backhand overhead strokes, it doesn't give me any more power than a thumb grip does but it allows me to vary the angle of the shot much more.

In terms of following through, I think I do both. But it's not really a follow through as we know it. It's not really to decelerate the racquet and arm, but more to turn my body as someone mentioned above.

Providing you have the right BH technique already, I'd say just do what you feel is natural.