avoid heart attack for older player

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by lim, Jan 27, 2001.

1. visor

visor Regular Member

Not just CPR, but I believe most exercise places like pools and community centres in North America now have AED's.

2. leongwaipak

leongwaipak Regular Member

Accountant
    Or we give people a chance to rest a little between points! Like tennis.

I had a topic a few years ago about the law if continuous play causing to much stress and about court changes to shorten the points.
    Anyway just need to take it easy and remember it's just a game.

3. visor

visor Regular Member

Yeah, but sometimes when pride or ego is on the line, we tend to "push past the pain"... and that's when troubles begin.

4. ormy4

ormy4 Regular Member

Fellow in a small town I visit did fundraising to put a AED in their hockey rink. Good think he did as he had a heart attack and they used it on him and saved his life, true story.

5. visor

visor Regular Member

Lol... wow... :)

Yes, as the large number of baby boomers get older and remain active , these AED's are going to be used more often...

6. leongwaipak

Accountant
    I know what you mean, but pride and ego is temporary. Death is permanent... ;)

7. vkokamthankar

vkokamthankar Regular Member

Employed in a company
    Body weight is important factor.

Very useful and important discussion going on here.

Well I have noticed even very young amateur players facing some kind of heart problems. So it is not necessarily linked to Age alone. It is obvious with age risk of any ailment increases.

One important risk factor is missed in discussion so far. If you are carrying too much weight you are putting your heart and lung to risk. More the body weight, more the risk. Focus on reducing weight thru diet and other means.

Your body often sends signals about state of your health, feel them carefully, do not ignore them. Consult doctor soon and follow his advise.

Badminton will always keep you fit, don't think of age. But don't play against doctors' advise.:):D

8. leongwaipak

Accountant
    Ok I'm no doctor but When a person is having heart problems, their face would become pale usually because their heart is not pumping enough blood around the body. This is the main thing to look out for.
    Their breathing will be labored, speech slurred and no coordination and heart rate will be very fast or unreliable.
    Best thing is to lie them down and call an ambulance if they look really bad.
    Any professional medics want to chip in with advice?

9. leongwaipak

Accountant

When I was a full vegetarian ten years back, I was reasonably slim and fit and by no means "carrying to much weight".

Even though I looked slim and fit if I played really hard and would get to the stage of seeing stars.
    I think the lack of protein and or iron/haemoglobin in my system could not cope with the strenuous exercise so when I got home I would just pass out on the floor.

Anyway my link before about the football stars just suddenly having a heart attack and dying were by no means carrying extra weight. So your statement is very general, and being slim and fit doesn't exclude you from having sudden health problems if your overstrain yourself when exercising.

10. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    very hard to tell what is going on. as it can be different causes.

for someone who suddenly feel weak, it can be simply your exercise so much that you depleted your glycogen energy store. beyond that, your body only have fat to burn and it is a slow process and the energy output from fat alone is very slow, thus you will feel weak. this is usually called "bonk" in exercise term (British folks will have a good laugh :) ). this happens rather suddenly and it simply means you ran out.

depending on your fitness level and exertion level this can happen within an hour or may not happen for 3+ hours.

but the symptom is the same, you suddenly run out of energy. and in the extreme case if you keep pushing on too hard, you might even black out.

all those have happened to me when i bike or run, and it is only an indication of my (lack of) fitness.

11. leongwaipak

Accountant
    Yes agreed that it's very hard but if you're a doctor or nurse, they always fear and assume the worse case scenario which is death.
    If you call the emergency services and say over the phone "shortness of breath" I'm pretty sure they'll be sending you an ambulance straight away, fearing you might be having a heart attack.

Similarly my seven year old had asthma, any coughing fit can be serious enough to kill her if we're not careful.

I mean if you see someone passed out in the badminton hall 99% of the time they're probably be fine, the other one percent you'll probably be attending a funeral the following week.

12. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    It's definitely not lack of protein or haemoglobin. That is a common misconception.

It is lack of fitness or lack of glycogen.

If not those, then hyponatraemia is another possible cause. People take in too much hypotonic fluid and that drops the sodium level in the blood.

Why wouldn't you get it so bad if you eat meat? Because meat dishes have more sodium content.

Have you looked at a can of 100plus? The sodium level is like less than 20mmol/l. Our blood has 140mmol/l. Drink a lot of 100plus too quickly and the blood sodium goes down. It would be worse if you drink water.

It used to be common in endurance events - I am almost sure Kwun will have seen some warnings about over drinking at endurance events.

The sports advice about 10-15 years ago was to drink plenty of fluid - that is now not the present advice.

13. leongwaipak

Accountant
    So take some Pringles along to my badminton sessions?
    More than happy to do that! Lol

14. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

A good dose of char siu and roast duck on rice an hour before will be sufficient! Haha.

Don't eat nasi lemak though - the chilli and exercise don't match. I tried and suffered terribly. :((

15. leongwaipak

Accountant
    OMG don't tempt me with the malaysia food. I might just catch a flight back for some of that!
    Anyway, I'm sure the "lemak" isn't too good for your heart!.

I do have to say that I consume a lot of protein here in Australia. Whenever I travel back to Malaysia and play badminton, the first few times I play reasonably well. But I've noticed my stamina and performance slowly dips the longer I stay there and I am guessing it's because of the lower amount of protein in the food there.

Note to malaysian badminton team: eat more meat.. ;)

16. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

Whenever anybody travels back to Malaysia, they take the car everywhere. That definitely helps drop stamina

17. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    how perfect timing, this article just appeared in runner's world today!

http://www.runnersworld.com/hydrati...g-not-low-sodium-intake-leads-to-hyponatremia

18. visor

visor Regular Member

^ I didn't read thru it, but does that imply balanced electrolyte drinks like gatorade is better than plain water for rehydration ?

19. leongwaipak

Accountant
    Had a quick read and it didn't mention electrolyte drinks. It just mentioned that the best strategy is to drink according to your thirst levels

"This study supports the advice that drinking to thirst, rather than to a pre-set schedule or attempting to maintain pre-race body weight, appears to be the best way to avoid overhydrating while adequately meeting fluid needs."

20. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

Theoretically, yes. And that's what the manufacturer would like you to believe;)

In practice, no. Gatorade is around 20mmol/l. So still very hypotonic.

But the main issue is not to over drink rather than the drink itself.

I doubt it is an issue in Canada as the amount of perspiration produced is quite low.

However, if you are in Malaysia, sweating a lot from a hard workout, drink lots of water or electrolyte drink in the belief it will help your recovery, you might just be collapsing on the floor when you get home. :)

(and you thought you were just a wimp!)