Aviva Open Singapore 2007

Discussion in 'Singapore Open 2007 / Indonesia Open 2007' started by Loh, Mar 22, 2007.

1. alfa-2

alfa-2 Regular Member

Architect
    does anyone know how to get the early bird season ticket?

2. saugusli

saugusli Regular Member

Hi All,

TH will be a champion. Will beat Lin Dan, BCL, Chen Jin... OK. We will support our fans..

3. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Sorry my laptop and coffee bean friend. Different season, the bird has flown away back to Siberia from Sungei Buloh Wetlands Reserves Singapore! Have to wait next season. But maybe not that long since the environment is playing havoc to the seasons! The early bird may have to change course midway and return to Singapore.

Not to worry, stadium very big and cosy, can get tickets at the door! :D

4. alfa-2

alfa-2 Regular Member

Architect
    haha......use coffee bean to charge laptop huh? alright then.....what's the price of a normal season ticket then? any websites that i can refer to?

5. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    #25 Loh, Apr 17, 2007
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2007
  6. tjl_vanguard

tjl_vanguard Regular Member

Student
    is the draw out yet?

7. tjl_vanguard

tjl_vanguard Regular Member

Student
  8. indra

indra Regular Member

Loh..thanks for sharing the pictures...

yes...I wish I could fly to Singapore to watch one of the best and most competitive Super Series and meet with other BC members...

Thanks for the Selamat Datang ke Singapore!!!:)

9. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Oh, you're from Sarawak, the land of hornbills and orang utans (Sabah)?

For our trip to ABC, JB, we have a Sabahan lady (pic in my ABC post) and a Sarawkian gentleman, a KL boy and an ex-Vietnamese National player.

Why wait until next year? Come August let's meet at WC, KL, Bt Jalil! :D

#29 Loh, Apr 17, 2007
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2007
  10. cheeyf

cheeyf Regular Member

so Loh, u are coming for WC rite?hehe. hope 2 see u here. i ask tjl_vanguard to come but it seems that he cant make it. wow u met people from many places in ABC.hehe

11. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Of course, BC brings badminton fans together to become friends. Here are some of them I got to know when I was down under during the last Melbourne Commonwealth Games and some of them are coming to the WC:

Attached Files:

12. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    AVIVA Open Singapore 2007 - It’s tougher than the Olympics

Aviva Press Release:

The AVIVA Open Singapore 2007 is set to thrill local fans with the hottest action by all the top ranked shuttlers in the world. The event has been given an elevated status as part of the Badminton World Federation's Super Series and now boasts of an increased prize purse of US$200,000.

The AOS 2007 is also the first event to offer qualifying points for the 2008 Olympic Games in Beijing. The top competitors from badminton powerhouses such as China, Denmark, Indonesia and Malaysia are expected to come to Singapore to fight it out for the valuable points and to test themselves against their potential Olympic opponents. Singapore will also have its local hero to cheer for.

Director of Marketing, AVIVA Ltd, Tim Beardsall mentioned "AVIVA has always believed in the key principle that we should actively engage the communities in where we live and operate. This is why we are excited that our involvement in the AVIVA Open results in giving the Singapore shuttlers a world-class event to perform in and the Singapore sport fans such great sport action. With the dream of the Beijing 2008 Olympics in mind, playing against the best in the world ensures a fiery test of ability, commitment and passion, a definite demonstration of AVIVA's philosophy of Forward Thinking."

The event has become a marquee sporting event both locally and internationally, and has contributed significantly to the development of the sport in Singapore. Minister of State for Trade and Industry Lee Yi Shyan, who is also the Deputy President of the Singapore Badminton Association, said: "By having such a top-notch competition right on our doorsteps, it helps to grow the sport of badminton by leaps and bounds in terms of popularity. In fact, in terms of participation, badminton is even ahead of football, according to SSC’s latest survey on sports participation!"

The Minister of State further added "This year's AOS will be even more special as it is the first Olympic qualifying event. The AVIVA Open Singapore 2007 brings the very best competitors in the sport up-close and personal for all our local badminton enthusiasts to watch in action. This is a privilege not every sport fan can enjoy. Thanks to AVIVA. "

Organising Chairman Ng Yoke Weng also enthused “While the cost of staging such an event has risen, our ticket prices has not increased because we want all Singaporeans, badminton enthusiasts or not, to enjoy this sporting spectacle. Come and see some great Badminton action!”

“The position of the AVIVA Singapore Open 2007 as one of Sporting Singapore’s key marquee events has been further bolstered by being placed as one of the 12 premier events in the BWF’s Super Series, and as the first qualifier event leading up to the Beijing Olympics in 2008. This has been made possible through the support from title sponsor AVIVA who has been instrumental in raising the international profile of the event, attracting many of the leading world-class players to compete. Together with the SBA who has worked hard behind the scenes, the AOS 2007 offers a wonderful opportunity for Sporting Singapore to showcase our competencies and organizational capabilities to underline Singapore’s position as the preferred sporting venue of choice”, remarked Mr Daniel Metcalfe, Chief (High Participation and Industry Development Group), Singapore Sports Council.

The AOS 2007 is likely to feature hotter competition than even the Olympics themselves, said Singapore Badminton Association, Acting Chief Executive Jacqueline Lim. "At the Olympics, the top countries are restricted in the number of entries in each of the categories, but not so at our event.

Here at the AOS 2007, China for example, could enter all their elite players. This means that if you want to win, you might have to defeat players like Lin Dan, Bao Chunlai, Chen Jin, Chen Yu and Chen Hong if you don't have a good draw!"

The AOS 2007 will be held at the Singapore Indoor Stadium from 1 May to 6 May. Ticket prices start from $8 for preliminaries and quarter-finals.

13. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Top 30 ranked badminton stars coming!

All gunning for a shot at the Olympics!

Aviva Press Release
    SINGAPORE, 10 April, 2007

True to it's billing of "Tougher than the Olympics", the Aviva Open Singapore 2007 (AOS 2007) has virtually all the top-30 players in both men's and women's world rankings signing up to take part in the most exciting badminton event to hit South-east Asia this year.

The AOS 2007, which is part of the Badminton World Federation Super Series, is the first event this year to offer the highly coveted Olympic qualifying points which will count towards a place in the Beijing Olympic Games in 2008. The fact that there is no cap on the number of entries from each country for the AOS 2007 means that every country can, and have, sent all their top players to the event, in hopes of achieving as many entries for the Beijing Olympics as possible!

In the Olympics, a country is allowed to send only one entry per event unless it has several top-ranked players. A country can send a maximum of three entries if all its players are in the top four of the world rankings. There is a limit of two entries if a country has two players or pairs in the top 16.

With no such limits at this year's AOS 2007, China for example has entered Lin Dan, Bao Chunlai and Chen Jin, ranked first, second and third in the world, as well as world No. 6 and 7 Chen Hong and Chen Yu! A bad draw could see a player having to fight his way through the entire Chinese contingent for the chance to stand on the winning rostrum! Adding to the mix will be defending AOS champion Peter Gade of Denmark and Malaysia's Lee Chong Wei, who contribute to a men's field jam-packed with truly world-class talent. The reigning Olympics Champion and Asian Games Gold medalist, Taufik Hidayat from Indonesia, will start his campaign for Olympics points here too.

It's an equally star-studded event in the women's field, with world No. 1 Xie Xingfang and reigning Olympic champ and world No. 2 Zhang Ning scheduled to line up alongside compatriot and third-ranked Zhu Lin, Germany's Xu Huaiwen, defending AOS 06 champion France's Pi Hongyan and Hong Kong's Asian Games gold medalist Wang Chen.

In the doubles, the level of competition is equally high and exciting as new pairings, from tried-and-true pairings, have been formed. Indeed, world badminton giant China even has two pairings in the men's doubles event who have to fight their way through the qualifying rounds just for a chance to play in the main draw!

Reigning Olympic champs Gao Ling and Zhang Jun of China have been separated and Gao Ling will continue her partnership with her Asian Games 2006 Gold medal partner, Zheng Bo in the hope of being the next top pairing which can take on the world in Beijing.

All top-10 players in both the men's and women's world rankings are entered for the tournament, which takes place from May 1-6 at the Singapore Indoor Stadium. Besides being able to see the cream of world badminton talent battling it out for a slice of the US$200,000 prize money and the valuable Olympic points, Singapore badminton fans will also be able to catch their favourite local athletes who will be pitting themselves against the best in the world.

A resurgent Ronald Susilo, on the comeback trail from his Achilles tendon injury over a year ago, has regained his place among the best in the world with a world-ranking of 23. He and compatriot Kendrick Lee, ranked 25th, will be hoping for a top finish in their home tournament.

Susilo is clearly excited to be regaining his form ahead of this year's South-east Asia Games in December and next year's Olympics. "It's great that I am finally climbing back into the top 25 of the world rankings and I hope to continue improving in the coming months. The Aviva Open will give me a good start for my Olympic journey because playing in front of a home crowd is always an advantage. "

In the women's event, youngster Xing Aiying has made it into the main draw for the first time with her world ranking of 29. She will join Singapore's No. 1 Li Li, ranked 18th, as they take on the might of badminton powerhouses China, Hong Kong, Denmark, Holland and Japan.

Xing said: "I am so excited that I've made it into the main draw. All my hard work and the trust SBA has in me has paid off! Of course, I will be looking forward to my Olympic Dream. As long as I make good progress in our preparations, who says dreams won’t come true?”

Singapore Badminton Association Acting Chief Executive Jacqueline Lim is hoping for a great finish for Singaporean athletes. "This is our home tournament so we are aiming for a good result, both for our fans here in Singapore and also as preparation for next year's Olympics. It will not be easy given the quality turnout but we have to aim high.”

"This year’s Aviva Open is a fantastic chance for our athletes to test themselves against the very best in the world as well as to gain Olympic qualifying points. Our training has been going well and early season results indicate that we are on the right track. I expect our singles and doubles players to push themselves to the max."

The draw for the event will be held next week on Monday, April 16. But regardless of the draw, Singapore badminton enthusiasts can look forward to one of the most spectacular sporting events of the year at the AOS 2007. With ticket prices ranging from $2 for children to $50 for premium season tickets, the AOS 2007 will offer fantastic value for money and a chance to catch the hottest badminton action right here at our doorsteps!

14. badMania

badMania Regular Member

Not sure if I can attend the Aviva Open again this year due to work committments. I will try my best....and I hope this year's results could match last year's in which Team Pelatnas nabbed 2 titles :D

Looking at the draws, it is surely tougher than the Asian Games or even Olympics. You could witness many casualties starting from the very first round.

15. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    Oh yes.. many casualties.. and i hope malaysia will do well this year. Last year was a dissapointing year for Msia Team

16. cheeyf

cheeyf Regular Member

ya very bad draw for mas.
    so many mas players meeting each other
    and others have tough draw too
    anyway hope they can do well despite the tough draw.
    really wanna see them in action if i can go

17. ants

ants Regular Member

hope there will be reshuffle in the draws heheh

18. cheeyf

cheeyf Regular Member

ya lo
    reshuffle and hope mas get better draws
    haha.
    actually what factors can caused them to reshuffle?

19. ants

ants Regular Member

Someone withdraws, or if got manager protest due to some factors can cause a redraw. But not all lineups will have a redraw.

20. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    My friend, we can't miss you this year! Serla (Magical Phoenix) and I are waiting for you and also Team Pelatnas, which needs your presence to repeat or better their last performance here! Other BC members too, some you've met, some looking forward to meeting you! :)