Aviva Open Singapore 2006 Pictures

Discussion in 'Singapore Open / Malaysia Open / Chinese Taipei Op' started by Loh, Jun 6, 2006.

1. kemana

kemana Regular Member

nice pictures Terry and Loh !
    I begin to envy you more!

2. terry

terry Regular Member

Here is Mr.Chen hehehe :D

Attached Files:

3. All4Baddy

All4Baddy Regular Member

I was also there during the SO. Too bad Mr Chen lost.

4. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    I can't because I can't see your pic! :p

5. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Women's Singles Quarter Finals

Eight ladies came through to challenge the WS quarter finals. Not unexpectedly, the most number, three, came from China, followed by two from Japan and one each from the Netherlands, Bulgaria and France.

China sent her second-stringers, three very young but tall, talented and strong-looking girls, Lu Lan, Zhu Lin and Chen Li, but in the end only Lu Lan, runner-up to Zhu Lin in the recent Indonesia Open, proceeded to the SF by beating Kaori Mori in a close match 22-20, 21-18 in 44 min. Japan was represented by their 'veterans', Kanako Yonekura and Kaori Mori, the younger Japanese girls like Yu Hirayama, Yoshimi Hataya, Eriko Hirose (beaten by Zhu Lin 21-12, 21-14 in R1) having been knocked out in the earlier rounds. I must say that newcomer Yoshimi has impressed many, not only by her good looks but also her sheer grit and determination to remain on court for as long as possible.

Surprisingly, the three contenders from Europe were in good form compared to their displays in the Indonesia Open and won their matches in straight games as the following results show. Bulgaria scored a first when the oversized Petya Nedeltcheva became the first Bulgarian to reach the SF in Asia. Petya will put Mia to shame with her huge assets. But I'm sure EastDevil will be just too happy to see his 'darlings' here. :D

1) Mia Audina Tjiptawan beat Chen Li 21-17, 21-12 (31m);
    2) Lu Lan beat Kaori Mori 22-210, 21-18 (44m);
    3) Petya Nedeltcheva beat Kanako Yonekura 21-14, 21-19 (42m) and
    4) Pi Hongyan beat Zhu Lin 21-18, 21-9 (38m)

Attached Files:

#105 Loh, Jun 14, 2006
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2006
  6. kemana

kemana Regular Member

Loh you are so productive ,haha, thank you for the pics and the result

7. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Women's Singles Final

The two rivals have met 11 times since October 2002 but this time proves to be as exciting and as competitive with the outcome slightly different. This WS match certainly proved to be much more exciting than the MS encounter between compatriots, Peter Gade and Kenneth Jonassen.

Pi Hongyan
    won only 4 times against Mia Audina who prevailed 7 times although she is WR5 just ahead of Mia's WR6. In this SO, Pi is seeded second behind Mia.

Mia, as the favourite, moved away quickly in the first game and seemed to have it wrapped up easily when Pi made a fight back towards the end and forced a deuce at 20-20 before winning it 22-20.

The second game started off no differently but again Pi showed her true colours and fighting spirit to edge Mia out in the end with a similar score, the entire match lasting a good 45 min.

So the underdog has won with her steely nerves and uncompromising determination!

Attached Files:

8. magical_phoenix

magical_phoenix Regular Member

Thanks for the nice pics Loh... And thanks for the detailed write-up as well. Makes me feel that I'm really there in person.. Let's hope that I'd be able to watch next year SO since I'll be studying in Singapore soon.. Hehehe.

9. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Next year is just around the corner, 6 months away only. I'm sure you'll enjoy your studies here. Lots of friends around your age and speak your lingo also. :D Do fill me in with details. I look forward to seeing you! :)

10. kemana

kemana Regular Member

haha,she speaks chinese too:)
    well, i will see if i can be there next year,haha

11. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Just a correction on my writeup on "Analysis of Time Taken for Matches".

I mentioned that Chen Yu was the runner-up in the Indonesia Open, this is incorrect as he was only a semifinalist having lost to Taufik Hidayat 17-21, 16-21 in the Top Section.

The Bottom Section saw Bao Chunlai beating compatriot Qiu Yanbo, who received a walkover from Lee Hyun Ill (KOR), 21-14, 21-13. In the final, TH overcomed BCL 21-18, 21-19 but in the process, he aggravated his back injury and was unable to play in the Singapore Open although he did turn up but returned to Jakarta soon after.

Taufik's absence gave the Danish players a monopoly in the SO MS final, which turned out to be a relatively dull affair. Both the Danes' semifinal encounters were much more exciting when Peter Gade was stretched over three games against Bao Chunlai, 21-15, 16-21, 21-17 and Kenneth Jonassen was also involved in a 3-game struggle with two-time winner, Chen Hong before winning 25-23, 19-21, 21-16. Both matches took just over an hour. Compare this time with the MS final between the two Danish teammates of merely 35 min in the SO, it was a great disappointment! :(

12. X Ball

X Ball Regular Member

Kenneth has resigned to the fact that if cannot beat PG in the first game, the second should almost be a quick 'let-it-go' thing - hence only 35 mins.

This is the same with LCW and WCH in the Commonwealth Games --- WCH knows if he cannot do any good in the 1st, he let it go quickly in the 2nd rather than fighting hard against LCW and getting injured.

13. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    I really can't be sure about what is actually in their minds. They are top individual professionals and to be second means getting paid for only about half of what the winner gets. If they are willing to forego this much after having gone this far into the final, I'm not am not very impressed! Albeit they are teammates from the same country. :rolleyes:

In events where prize money is the main criterion, say the Commonwealth Games, but where the team spirit is important, maybe such concessions as you've mentioned can prevail. Or it could also be a case where the coach decided that your compatriot needs the points to be placed in a higher world ranking for whatever reason, then this could also take place.

However, good friends may also make personal sacrifices and concessions!:D

14. magical_phoenix

magical_phoenix Regular Member

Yeah, sure!!! It's always very nice to meet fellow BCFers.. I've met kemana here in Beijing, and I'm looking forward to meeting her again next Fri, right, kemana? hahaha

15. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Well if MP studies in our local schools, then she will have to study Chinese (Mandarin) as well, unless she chooses the Malay language which is not too different from Indonesian.

Of course it will be different if she enters our Polytechnics or our Universities.

16. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Sorry, what i meant was "In events where prize money is NOT the main criterion".

Many times my typing just doesn't synchronize with my thoughts! I'm only human! :D

17. kemana

kemana Regular Member

it's next Fri ??:eek: I remember you told me it's August:confused: :confused:
    but next Fri is ok too:) :)

18. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    We were all trying to look out for storkbill but at the same time we knew he could not be at the SIS for all the matches. Unfortunately we did not know his timetable (probably available most times during lunch hour?) and therefore it was difficult to meet.

As I recalled during last year's SO, storkbill was sitting many rows in front of me and I then took the opportunity of taking a snap of him from the back. Here's how he looks like in case you want to locate him next year! :D

Attached Files:

19. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Li Yujia

Here are some pics I took of Li Yujia at last year's SO and this year's ABC in Johor Baru. You be the better judge of whether Li is a creditable representative of badminton in general and whether she is better looking than some of the tennis gals who have been given so much exposure over TV.

Hope Moonsilk likes some of the pics with her "Thai family" in them.

Attached Files:

#119 Loh, Jun 16, 2006
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2006
  20. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    I wont say that Li Yujia is prettier than those gals in tennis. She is just fine for me. :)