Austrian Open 2015

Discussion in '2015 Tournaments' started by Beta2k, Feb 18, 2015.

1. blabl

blabl Regular Member

Oh my god did this incident really happen? Is it that bad? Come on I mean the umpire is really very strict here. Anyway I guess due to this incident iskandar will learn a good lesson. However, I really disagree with the part of iskandar given a red card. I mean this is already the game point so why not let the players play to win instead of awarding a free one point to angus. Funny. Its okay we just have to learn to accept things as how it goes. I still remember the incident about Mathias boa and carsten morgensen pointing out to the umpire and linesmen that there are clear cut refereeing errors in the Dubai super series men doubles semifinals but I think he is being ignored. Then one of them reacted by venting his anger on the badminton racquet and cut the strings of his badminton racquet too. I think isn't this a more serious offense? Why this young player by the name of iskandar needs to be given a red card. I don't see anything wrong here. At least he didn't argue with the umpire or fight with the umpire so I feel it is,unfair that this player is given a red card. Any comments here? I think maybe iskandar just went off to drink water because he is thirsty and using a towel to wipe away sweat is not a big offence in tournaments right? Imagine a player is sweating so much and the sweat will drip to the court making it slippery too. In that case why not just allow the player to wipe away his sweat. Well, maybe the player himself forgot to inform the umpire his intention of different drinking water and wiping away his sweat so he is given a red card but I still feel that it is unfair.

#21 blabl, Feb 22, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2015
  2. pathan

pathan Regular Member

musician
    it's important to ask to be excused for doing things that'll pause the game play. You can't take off shoes without at least signalling to the umpire that you wish to do that. I think it's fair that a red card was issued, because due warning was given, yet Iskandar chose to disregard the umpire. The umpire clearly explained the violation before pulling the red one out. I suppose it was a lesson learnt the hard way.

3. blabl

blabl Regular Member

I guess this player is young and doesn't really know the rules at the court. Anyway I guess this player learns a good lesson from this incident and he will never repeat the same mistakes again. Anyway it is already good for this youngster to win the silver medal in this tournament. Hope this young player can maintain his consistency and win more medals. Anyway thank you so much for your clarification and I really appreciate it.

4. visor

visor Regular Member

Probably Iskandar is used to playing local tournaments in INA where umpires are more lenient? So he didn't expect international ones to be so strict.

5. blabl

blabl Regular Member

Okay you may be right as well. Anyway thanks for your clarification as well. I think this is his first time playing in Australia open. He is a back up player and plays most of his tournament either local in Malaysia or in Thailand and Indonesia only I guess. Anyway correct me if I am wrong here. Thanks again.

6. scorpion1

scorpion1 Regular Member

Exciting one
    This one is Austrian open not Australia...Small correction.:)

7. janedoe

janedoe New Member

I have to say that this is not an isolated case. I personally had Iskandar on court as an umpire couple of times and was forced to give him 3 cards for the same behavior.

8. scorpion1

scorpion1 Regular Member

Exciting one
    My question is, umpire could have given an another yellow card before finishing the match with a red. That's my humble opinion. If at all, he is an arrogant person, he would have argued at least for once. But his behavior was subtle and he simply accepted the decision without even a word. I wanna remember European players' behaviors here, especially from Denmark. They have crossed the limits many many times but they were not even given a warning by umpires. This is totally crazy. Boe's incident is one example. The service umpire took that very easily. Otherwise...Nobody will know what would have happened....!!

My point is this match was for title. And the incident occurred at match point. Why not umpire give him another yellow card before going for red. Just my humble opinion.:)

9. visor

visor Regular Member

Don't think I've ever heard of or seen 2 yellow cards given in succession in any sport. After 1 yellow the next one is red.

10. Beta2k

Beta2k Regular Member

yes, there are no multiple yellow cards. next has to be red. after the yellow card umpire could have given another "verbal warning" instead of immediately the red card. but giving the red card immediately is also possible of course.

11. blabl

blabl Regular Member

Yes this is what I myself is trying to say or explain. What I mean is that Carsten / Mathias really misbehaved at the court and up to a certain extent they even argued with the umpire and linesmen over the refereeing errors. They are so fierce and both cannot except the decision of the umpire and linesmen. However, both the umpire and linesmen have been very nice to them and even calmed them down. Then both these players are let off just like that without any stern warning. They are also not given any red or yellow card for being aggressive. Whereas in the case of Iskandar here, he merely accepted the decision of the umpire and he didn't argue. If this is the case of Mathias /Carsten I think both of them would have walked off the court. I was trying to bring out the point of unfair treatment for different players. Thankful here that Iskandar is not an arrogant and proud PLAYER. I really have to salute Iskandar here for being calm and not angry. As for the case of Mathias / Carsten I agree with Scorpion 1 that harsh action should have been taken against them and there really is a substandard treatment here. I think both these players are really disrupting the semifinals match in the Dubai Super Series finals. I couldn't help but point out the injustice here. Just my personal opinion here and hope I don't offend anyone.:confused::confused::confused:

#31 blabl, Feb 23, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2015