Australia says : "Games should not have gone to Delhi"

Discussion in 'Commonwealth Games 2010 - Badminton' started by Thom_bad, Sep 26, 2010.

1. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    India arrests chief organizer of scandal-plagued Commonwealth Games

By C. Rajshekhar Rao, The Associated Press | The Canadian Press – 28 minutes ago

NEW DELHI - Indian officials arrested the chief organizer of last year's Commonwealth Games on Monday as part of a corruption investigation into the scandal-plagued competition in New Delhi.

India had hoped that the Games would help it project the image of a rising superpower, but instead it was deeply embarrassed by corruption allegations, construction delays and cost overruns as the budget ballooned to 700 billion rupees ($15 billion) from an estimated 18.9 billion rupees ($412 million).
    Suresh Kalmadi, the highest-ranking member of the organizing committee to be arrested, has been charged with conspiracy for allegedly favouring a Swiss company in the purchase of equipment for timing and scoring events, Central Bureau of Investigation spokeswoman Dharini Mishra said.
    Two other officials on the Games organizing committee — Lalit Bhanot and V.K. Verma — had been arrested earlier in the same case.
    The bureau — the Indian equivalent of the FBI — claims the government was bilked out of 1.41 billion rupees ($31 million), paid to Swiss Timings Ltd. for equipment available from another company for much less.

Full report:
    http://ca.news.yahoo.com/indian-inv...mes-chief-organizer-corruption-113741475.html

2. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    The bureau — the Indian equivalent of the FBI — has done well

Having some free time today, I found this post. :):):)

All I can say is: It cannot be real when an estimated $412 million project can be ballooned into a $15 billion final cost.

No wonder an investigation was called for. :eek::eek::eek:

#62 chris-ccc, May 13, 2011
    Last edited: May 13, 2011
  3. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    Delhi has simply lost Commonwealth Games legacy
    S. Kannan New Delhi, October 2, 2011

http://indiatoday.intoday.in/story/delhi-has-simply-lost-commonwealth-games-legacy/1/153426.html

Excerpts:

...Almost a year later, people do remember the quadrennial sporting event, but for all the wrong reasons. The number of times the word "corruption" has been used in relation to the Games, it is not funny at all.

... As the talk veers to India's preparation for the 2012 London Olympics, it is worth pondering over what exactly happened to those world-class stadia which were built in the Capital.

... Sadly, if roofs were leaking then during rains and the field of play had many glitches, one year later, all these stadia are in a sorry state. Several meetings were held among government officials as to what would be the legacy value of the Games and how these venues could be used.

I can tell you with assurance that most of the CWG venues in the Capital are in shambles, the maintenance is pathetic and they are hardly in a state of use. Just to check if I was getting it right, I actually asked some of my colleagues and other friends in sporting circles how these venues have been put to use.

Most people drew a blank as the Capital has virtually been starved of major sporting competition after the CWG. The Jawaharlal Nehru Stadium, referred to as a marvellous piece of work, has not seen any major athletics event.

Insiders say the running track is damaged and the venue is gathering dust. It's almost as sad as it was when the original stadium, built for the 1982 Asian Games, had to be broken down, which I witnessed.

... I don't think so much money has been wasted anywhere in the world. After the Games, we were wondering what would be the gains from it. It certainly has not been the people of Delhi getting sport- conscious or more sporting events being held in the Capital.

Post CWG, if people have really worked hard, it's not the Indian sporting champions in the Capital but officers in the Comptroller and Auditor General's ( CAG) office. They are the ones who had to painstakingly compile a report on the Games fraud and related mess.

Just to jog the readers' memory, these Games cost us in excess of ` 28,000 crore (approx US $5,688,166,582 or US $5.68 billion) An amount of ` 687 crore (approx US $ 139,563,230 or US $ 139.5 million) was earmarked for the preparation of Indian athletes and not more than one- third was used up.

4. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    It's such a shame

It's such a shame. :(:(:( - When there are people involved in sports just for the sole purpose of making money.