Auckland International Series, June 17-21

Discussion in '2009 Tournaments' started by Sandy, Jun 2, 2009.

1. badMania

badMania Regular Member

I noticed that all the Djarum players are using a non-Yonex racket. Astec probably????

Yeah, Mohd Ulinnuha/Jenna Gozali should have probably done better...but well, both are also playing in MD and WD respectively and won the titles. So, cannot expect more from them really :)

2. badMania

badMania Regular Member

All in all, yet another overseas tourney where most of the PB Djarum representatives came home with a title. If PBSI is to groom its youngsters, they should really be very selective in terms tourney participation and ensure that some of the players can really have a chance of winning the title.

3. badMania

badMania Regular Member

The Auckland International Series 2009 represents Febby Angguni's second title after she won the more prestigious and competitive Malaysia International Series 2008. She did beat a couple of KOR players like Kim Moon Hi and Bae Seung Hee enroute to the title, underlying her potential.

4. a.kurniawan

a.kurniawan Regular Member

student
    They were using Flypower rackets, as the juniors are no longer with YY anymore (not sure about the main squad)

About Ulin/Jenna, I think their performance (including the rest of the team) was heavily affected by the sudden temperature drop compared to INA. Even the locals mentioned about how cold it was inside the hall.

5. badMania

badMania Regular Member

Thanks for the info. Seems like in the Ulin/Berry partnership, Berry is the frontman and Ulin is the smasher (tukang gebuk).

6. Krisna

Krisna Regular Member

General Management
    Wasn't it the 2008 Malaysian International Challenge? :confused:

7. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

Got it..

..it's literally next to the court..

8. badMania

badMania Regular Member

Yup...a typo :p:eek:

9. a.kurniawan

a.kurniawan Regular Member

student
    yup, that's pretty much right.. Ulin's smashes are very strong and sharp, because of his high jump and him being a relatively tall boy (for his age). I saw his cross court smashes and it was like really awesome, just like single players' smash.

Berry himself is quick in the front court, especially intercepting half court shots (bola setengah lapangan). And him being tall as well is also an advantage if he's in the front.

10. Krisna

Krisna Regular Member

General Management
    Somehow we see these types of MD pairs more often these days... The taller LYD is the front court player, while the much shorter JJS is the slammer in the back-court. The taller Hendra Setiawan also often act as a playmaker in the front while Kido is his slammer with many jumping smash action... :p

11. chemile

chemile Regular Member

Who is the coachof Riyanto Subagja?

12. chemile

chemile Regular Member

Riyanto Subagja is really tall for Indonesian boy 16 y.o. I really hope that he will become the rising star in 2-3 another years.

13. badMania

badMania Regular Member

I believe its still Fang Kaixiang.

14. Krisna

Krisna Regular Member

General Management
    More photos of Riyanto... from the finals...

Riyanto champion in NZ 2.jpg

Riyanto champion in NZ 1.jpg

Riyanto champion in NZ 3.jpg

Riyanto champion in NZ 4.jpg

15. Krisna

Krisna Regular Member

General Management
    More pictures of INA players in Auckland

NZ 1.jpg
    "IN-DO-NE-SIA!" ~Oliv and Jenna~

Gifar in NZ 3.jpg
    Gifar

Gifari in NZ 4.jpg

NZ 2.jpg
    The team that swept 4 titles

NZ 3.jpg

16. Krisna

Krisna Regular Member

General Management
    Young Indonesian's Dominate Auckland International

There were no Kiwi winners on the finals day of the US$5,000 Auckland Badminton International as some unheralded Indonesians dominated four out of the five finals.

Although not Indonesia's top players the mainly teenage competitors from the badminton crazy nation won everything bar the mixed doubles title, which had two Australian combinations playing off for the trophy.

New Zealand No1 Joe Wu came close to a win in the men’s singles but the two hour-long semifinal clashes in singles and doubles the previous night appeared to take its toll against the talented 16-year-old Indonesia Riyanto Subagja. Wu took the first game 14-21 in an entertaining contest before the Indonesian came back to claim the second 21-16 and then the final game with an array of winners to seal the match 21-10 in the final game.

The other final featuring Kiwis was the women’s match where Michelle Chan and Rachel Hindley faced the Indonesia pair of Jenna Gozali and Rufika Olivta. The New Zealand combination held a solid lead in the first game but the visitors came back with some subtle touches to take it 21-16 and the second game 21-11.

In the all-Australian mixed final the more experienced pair of Glenn Warfe and Renuga Veeran beat Chad Whitehead and Eugenia Tanaka.

The women’s singles saw another rising star from Indonesia Febby Angguni, 18, the women’s top seed defeat fellow Indonesian Rosaria Pungkasari in straight games while Berry Angriawan and Muhammad Ulinnuha put on a powerful display to account for their countrymen Indrianto and Kusdianto in straight games in from of a small but enthusiastic crowd at Gillies Ave.

Many of the players will return to Auckland for the US$50,000 New Zealand International Grand Prix tournament in late July which is expected to confirm a naming right sponsor within the next week.

Results:
    Men’s doubles:
    Berry Angriawan/Muhammad Ulinnuha(Indonesia) Didit Juang Indrianto/Seiko Wahyu Kusdianto(Indonesia) 21-14 21-19

Mixed final:
    Glenn Warfe/Renuga Veeran(Australia) bt Chad Whitehead/Eugenia Tanaka(Australia) 21-12 21-15.

Women’s singles final:
    Febby Angguni(Indonesia) bt Rosaria Yusfin Pungkasari(Indonesia) 21-15 21-16.

Men’s singles:
    Riyanto Subagja(Indonesia) bt Joe Wu(New Zealand) 14-21 21-16 21-10.

Women’s doubles:
    Jenna Gozali/Rufika Olivta(Indonesia) bt Michelle Chan/Rachel Hindley(New Zealand) 21-16 21-11

#76 Krisna, Jun 22, 2009
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2009
  17. eek!oh!

eek!oh! Regular Member

Riyanto is very handsome. The look of joy on those first 2 photos in lovely!

I guess with Joe the coaches will have to decide if they want him to do 2 events or increase his chances of winning( in Oceania anyway) by having him concentrate on just 1.

Great photos Jim. Any commentary on what you saw? Other than Joe, which of the other NZers looked competitive?

& was the event poorly attended on all days? (other than the finals I can't see many spectators in your shots). I'll bet it was freezing in the hall!

18. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

Congrats to the Djarum players for the near sweep..

..and also to Djarum's biggest supporter, Krisna!..;):);)
    ..speaking of freezing in the hall, notice the last few pictures, above, with a few of the players wearing gloves...:eek: :p

Btw, if they want to play in warmer weather, come to the U.S. Open, next time. Krisna should push for that idea and we'd welcome the Djarum squad..:):cool:

Btw, can Krisna identify all the players & personnel in the last 2 pictures above?thanks.:cool:

#78 ctjcad, Jun 22, 2009
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2009
  19. eek!oh!

eek!oh! Regular Member

All badminton halls in NZ are cold in the winter. Waikato & Wellington halls are the coldest I have ever been inside a building. People go stand outside to warm up!:D & in summer they are like saunas.

I was going to go to the semis but I just knew it would be miserable inside.

North Harbour where the NZ Grand Prix is going to be played has a lovely warm upstairs area to sit in.

20. noluckjim

noluckjim Regular Member

Student
    There weren't a lot of spectators for this one on all days certainly more in the weekend. The parking didn't help - I was given a carparking pass :) but there were no allocated carparks :mad:.

Overall, I think there was a lot of support for Indonesia - sometimes more than local :eek:. Atmosphere took a while to build up but there was good support for both sides.

I think Henry Tam and Joe Wu had some good potential, especially after taking out the Aussies on Friday and almost getting the indonesians in the Semis. Should be good to see what happens in a month's time.