Astrox 99 Pro Problem

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by juanfarrell02, Mar 24, 2022.

1. juanfarrell02

juanfarrell02 New Member

Hi, Guys. I own 2 Yonex 99pro (white tiger and cherry sunburst), both 4u, both strung with BG66U 28lbs, the problem is that they feel very different, the white tiger feels a lot lighter when i swing it (felt like the original 88s but heavier) and the cherry sunburst feel heavier.

I also measured the Balance point of the racket using my finger (to see if there is a difference). and from the picture u can see that the balance point are different

I don't know whats wrong with yonex nowdays, their QC isnt really that great because this is a high-end racket[​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

2. Budi

Budi Regular Member

Yonex fault tolerance are +2 or -2 so that definitely could happen.
    Nothing surprising.

Baggins likes this.
  3. Sainttoo

Sainttoo Regular Member

Unfortunately, it can happen yea. Very similar thing happened to me as well with astrox 77
    When ax 77 first released, I bought one ax77 in 4u and it was light almost like 5u. and since I like light rackets, I enjoyed it and bought another one by thinking this is how 4u ax77 supposed to feel. Second one was almost as same as my friend's 3u ax77 racket. At least 4-5grams of difference with around 5mm balance point difference.

So, it was almost like 88gr 300mm and other one is 93gr 305mm (with string and grip)
    I have never experienced such a thing again but this was huuuuge failure from yonex.

Similar thing happened with victor thruster onigiri too but it was just slight difference in balance point but it changes whole feel of the racket.

4. justforfun

justforfun Regular Member

Standard deviation in manufacturing, upper and lower limit of the same weight class can differ by up to 5g. You can request to pick a lighter racket and some shops would allow it, at least over in Asia.

5. Makkem_1

Makkem_1 Regular Member

I never thought to compare before...
    Discovered some wierdness. So I have Ax99 Pro in 3U and 4U
    The 4U is more head-heavy than the 3U, balance point is ~10 mm longer for the 4U, which makes it on paper the most head-heavy racket I have ever played with. Dunno how much difference the grip thickness makes, now 3U/G4 and 4U/G5 is a thing with Yonex, but they actually handle quite differently from each other, the 3U has more swing weight by feel but feels smoother.

-----
    I still think the OP post surprises me, i found 2 of the same to be almost identical back when i last had 2 of the same rackets! With the Astrox 99, they inject the heads with volume cut resin - i suspect they are a bit more generous with the 3u than the 4u, I have no idea what the process is like but i'd imagine thats where the +/- 2g discrepancy is, and being as that difference is in the head that is going to change the balance point.

6. Zoap San

Zoap San Regular Member

This happens to every manufacturer and rackets. My suggestions if you're very particular about how your racket weight, balance point and swing weight. Gotta find shop that has a balance point and swing weight measuring machine. At first I didn't realized it but 2-3 grams of weight makes a huge difference on how each racket performs.

7. Gladius

Gladius Regular Member

Design Engineer
    Are those rackets with grip tape or factory grips ?
    If they are the former, how sure are you that your grip wraps are so exacting as to not affect the balance point ?

8. Schultzier

Schultzier Regular Member

I bought 2 99 pros too. One for myself and one for my girlfriend. The white one felt less head heavy than the red one.

9. Rammler

Rammler New Member

I have the exact same problem. Have 3 88D Pros. Two are almost identical. The other one is a lot head lighter but also stiffer.
    I think its manufacturing tolerance...

10. Kaydee

Kaydee Regular Member

I have got 3 astrox 100zz, 2 blue, and 1 kurenai.

The Kurenai one feels harder, the shaft feels stiffer than the two blues, which have more flex.