Astrox 100zz frame deformation when strung with Yonex recommended method?

Discussion in 'Badminton Stringing Techniques & Tools' started by Petrichor, Nov 3, 2022.

1. Petrichor

Petrichor New Member

Hi friends,

I recently changed where I get my racket strung due to relocation. I specified to have my racket strung 2 pieces, 26/28 last four crosses at 26 with 66 ultimax. Though this was my usual tension, I seemed to not be able to consistently hit the sweet spot and the racket feels dead unless I really time it well. Then I noticed this racket, compared to my other Astrox 100zz, has a very noticeable thinner middle frame width and when I stand both racket on its bottom handle, I also see the newly strung racket is taller.

One week and 3 sessions passed, the deference is still noticeable with a naked eye. I researched about the topic here and find this very useful. https://www.badmintoncentral.com/fo...nt-to-deform-your-racket.188125/#post-2849889
    So I came home and measured the width with a measuring tape. But to my surprise, my frame is much more deformed so I cut them right away. I measured from 3 to 9 o’clock as close to the inside of the frame as possible. The measurement reads unstrung:~18.3cm, strung:~17.5cm. I could be me that just play bad because I don’t think a few millimeters can be that big of a deal but I begin to play bad since the restrung so I don’t know.

Discussion:

I see no crack anywhere on the racket and it has never been in a hard collision. Do you think that this racket is a defect or most likely stringing related?

What are some other stringing methods that most preserve the racket frame shape?

Could anyone recommend me a good place to get my racket restrung anywhere in Bangkok or Samutprakarn, Thailand. I went to Yonex shop here and they never heard of 2 pieces stringing with last 4 crosses reduced tension, so I didn’t bother.

ucantseeme likes this.
  2. ucantseeme

ucantseeme Regular Member

Z-Force II
    The second pic don't look really parallel, so it looks more extreme than it would be.

What you experienced is totally normal. Some machines and frames don't need +2lbs on the crosses. For some frames and machines +1 lbs or even square tension is enough to maintain the shape.

IMO you shouldn't specificate the tension ratio. Stringers know their machine better than customers. Ask next time for 27lbs job and let the stringer do his work. In my machine your racket would have come out the same and customer is king. Normally you don't need to tell the stringer what to do in detail. Choose the tension and let them do their work. If you don't like what you get, go to different one. If it is a mediocre to good stringer he will know what to do to maintain the natural shape.

I guess you watched a Yonex Stringer Video and thought that is the proper way to go. It is not. What they do work with their machines and routines. With other machines it is a different story. And we also have tournament stringers here like master @kakinami who also do square tensions on Yonex machines. Don't overthink it.

3. Petrichor

Petrichor New Member

Appreciate your feedback. Here I tried to measure it again.

Attached Files:

ucantseeme likes this.
  4. ucantseeme

ucantseeme Regular Member

Z-Force II
    Thanks. Nearly 0,8 cm in width is kinda extreme, especially on a solid frame like an Astrox. Looks really like the frame got additional streched during mounting.
    I would advice to go to a different stringer. A good stringer wouldn't hand out something like that. Didn't expected that it is such extreme on my first post. 2-3mm have been acceptable. You did it right an cut it.

Additional I recommend like said before to not state the ratio, ask the stringer what he recommend/do on regular base. Also look at the strung rackets in the shop. If they look longer/wider than unstrung skip this stringer.

It could be that your racket has some not visible damage, time will tell if you had luck.

Petrichor and s_mair like this.