Asking for advices for stringing a tennis racquet ...

Discussion in 'Badminton Stringing Techniques & Tools' started by flyingcords, May 18, 2018.

1. flyingcords

flyingcords Regular Member

... when you are used to string only badminton racquets. Please.

One piece or 2 pieces ? Length of the pieces ? Proportionnal stringing or same tension everywhere ? More tension before the knots ?

Thanks in advance !

2. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

The really annyoing thing with tennis rackets is, that there is such a variety of different numbers of main and crosses. And the other important thing is that tennis rackets should always be strung in a top-down direction. So you should always be on the safe side if you go with a 2 piece pattern. Here's a video that explains some of the basics pretty well I think:

http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/improve/video.html?ccode=IMSVHTS

Regarding the knots, it is indeed very hard to get out the slack at the tie off knots since the string is so thick and stiff. What helped me there a lot is the socalled Parnell Loop as demonstrated in this clip:

I also started to follow the other tips in this clip to do a "Yonex"-loop for the last two mains and to increase the tension by 4 kg (~9 lbs.) on the last two strings before the knot. Tension loss was noticeably less with these method than any other thing I had tried before.

Regarding the tension ratio mains/cross there are also a lot more variants possible. Since my very few tennis clients didn't have a specific wish there, I started with mains=crosses and they were happy with it. For slippery strings, it can help to reduce string movement to increase tension on the crosses by a bit.

But overall, stringing tennis rackets is a lot easier and quicker than badminton. Everything is just so... big... and best thing: NO SHARED HOLES!!! :D

#2 s_mair, May 18, 2018
    Last edited: May 18, 2018
    emjay and ucantseeme like this.
  3. flyingcords

Yeah it's like "badminton stringing for children", it makes me think about plastic kitchen toys ! Everything seems just bigger, less risk to bend the shape of the racquet or break it and the string seems unbreakable too.

ucantseeme likes this.
  4. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

It almost seems impossible to get the frame out of shape. I'm sure you can do +- 4 kg on the crosses and still won't see a difference there.

But still, there are some tricky details you need to keep in mind. As seen in this tutorial, some rackets start the mains from the top whereas most others from the throat:

stradrider and ucantseeme like this.
  5. stradrider

stradrider Regular Member

That is a good thread! I have people asked to string tennis rackets but I always decline, perhaps should try it for a change :).

What is the most basic stringing setup in tennis for amateur player? Some equivalent to bg65 at 22 lbs that I would usually recommend to a beginner in badminton...

Mr Arc2 likes this.
  6. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

Give it a try, it's really fun actually.

I'm afraid there is no such thing as the standard BG65 @22 lbs. combo in tennis. The number of different strings available is just overwhelming - it's almost impossible to get an overview there. Monofile, multifile, natural gut, round or hexagonal... it's a nightmare. No idea how you should find "your" string in that jungle. And got haven't even touched hybrid setups yet...

And this goes on with the tensions too. There have been Grand Slam winners using 17 kg and others with 32 kg. It all depends on feel and playing style - so a typical top spin player will trend towards lower tensions.
    If your client is completely clueless, is start somewhere in the middle, so 22-25 kg should be a middle ground starting point.

7. Kaelhdris

Kaelhdris Regular Member

I think syn gut, rather thick gauge, with a reasonable tension like 22 kg, would be a safe choice. At least it shouldn't be too harsh on the arm, which is a real concern in tennis, contrary to badminton.

s_mair likes this.
  8. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

Matches exactly where my two tennis clients (well... my dad and brother...) have settled after several more or less successful tests.

String:
    https://www.tennisman.de/Tennissait...Nylon/Tennissaite-DISCHO-MICROFIBRE-12-m.html

gauge 1.30 mm @25/26 kg. Which is basically the tennisman-branded version of the Isospeed Control+ (but with lower price). Great control, decent power and really good durability. And what's very important - it's very gentle on the arm.

But speaking of variety... darn, just look at that endless list of brands(!)...

https://www.tennisman.de/Tennissaiten/Sets/?force_sid=b9b56a190b0171e70f5e18b648d9d7f0

...737 different string sets listed in the shop. Give me so many different strings in badminton and I would never ever be able to settle on one at all!

#8 s_mair, May 18, 2018
    Last edited: May 18, 2018
    Kaelhdris likes this.
  9. flyingcords

What kind of starting knot do you use for the crosses, doing 4 knots top down ? I used my 3 loops usual and it looks huge and ugly.

10. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

I use the bulky starting knot:

Never had any issues and it doesn't end up overly massive.

11. flyingcords

Ok thanks I will try this knot.

12. flyingcords

Are you doing a double pull for the last two mains when you add 4kg ? What about the last cross, do you add 4 kg too , before the knot ?

#12 flyingcords, Feb 21, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2019
  13. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

No double pulls (I expect the tension loss to be huge with the amount of friction involved) and I also add 4 kg on the last two crosses before the knot.

14. flyingcords

I haven't strung a tennis racquet for a while, could someone confirm that I need 6 meters for the mains and a little less for the crosses ?

15. Alex82

Alex82 Regular Member

Linux-Sysadmin
    Depends on the racket. But mostly yes.

16. flyingcords

After the third stringjob of this "new season" I really think that pre-stretch is more than an option for tennis stringing ...
    I pull the string with my string-mover everytime I use the tensioner and I re-adjust the tension with my dropweight, after pulling manually with a lot of strength.
    Really enjoying my new Flying clamps from Stringway ... btw