Asia Wins MVP CUP

Discussion in 'MVP Cup 2005' started by ants, Jul 15, 2005.

1. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    Sorry for the late post for the recap. Was so tired after the 3 day event. As if i played in the match :p anyhow... i'm sure by now everyone knows Team Asia won the cup.

3rd and final day. Asia is leading 5-4. This was the best day of the 3 day event. Besides the final day, it is also a day when the Philipino crowd see the tournament most awaited match which their own local heroes Kennie and Kennevic in action against World #1 Nathan Robertson and Gail Emms. The cheer started when Kennie and Kennevic was up at the court doing their warmup drives. Never seen their face so commited and serious. They have been practising hard before the games. I'm sure it will be a good match to watch.. indeed it was.

The 1st set definately caught the Brits by suprise. Then Asuncions take advantage of the home game fast by leading early 7-1. The pair was pumped up especially Kennevic shouted and fist pumped after points won. They kept the game momemtum on their side. I can see that the brits was defending all the time and points given to the Asian pair everytime Emms take on the back court. More net plays and drop shots by the Asian pair and force the Brits to lift the shuttles. However the Brits manage to catch up and get some points from the Brits counter attack and shuttle placements. Still the momentum is on the Asian side , Kennie and Kennevic wrap up their 1st ever 1 set over the world number 1.
    Everyone in the stadium was shouting and cheering until i can't even hear my own voice. Even the brazillian wave was created among the spectators. What a sight indeed!

2nd set was definately a nail biting set. Full recharge and motivated after the 1st set. The Asian pair took an early lead as well. Most of their shots were directed to Emms. Nathan was so frustrated after some unforced errors. As the number 1 pair.. they did manage to fight back and lead the 2nd set 13-10. Not giving up , the asuncions keep on attacking and played extremely well and got 4 points. Asian Lead 14-13! The crowd was estatic! They were so close in winning. But the brits played it smart. This was not an unfamiliar territory to them. They have been in this situation before many times. They keep their calm and played their game. Nathan manage to get back serve and level the game at 14-14...then the momentum was on the European side!.. the wrapped up the game at 17-14.

During the break Team Asia kept on telling the Asuncions not to defend and drives so much.. keep net play low and keep attacking. The brits are calm as ever.

3rd set is all Europe! As Gail/Nathan show to Asuncions why they are #1 in the world. When the energy level zapped out from the Asuncions , the Brits took charge and play their game. Taking the final set 15-1.

I talked to Nathan Robertson after the match. He told me he wanted to play a slow game (he underestimated Kennie and Kennevic). So it is already programmed in their head that to play a slow game. But when the game start.. he was like " they are so fast!"... well he told me he never expected it.
    Anyhow it was a great and entertaining match to watch. He was smiling when he watch the slowmo on the large screen when Kennevic was jumping around as if they have just won. He told me that its still 14.. not yet win , don't celebrate too early. Guess what after that,he gave a quick return. And they took the second set. He was complaining also the it TOO HOT! hhahha.. he sweat was dripping all over the court. All praises by the Brits towards the Asuncions! They played a great game tonight says Nathan. I guess its the experience. They played a great game tonight. I'm sure they will rise up to the ranking if they play like this. Watch them!.

Match no2 was between Zhang Ning a Yao Jie.
    Zhang Ning has never lost to Yao this few years. I hope that Yao can do an upset. Well the first set was a close set and it seems that Yao almost had it. Both of them played a great set with a lot of drives and cross court shots. I guess Zhang Ning still much stronger than Yao. The queen of women’s singles control the match most of the time and got the better of Yao by closing the match 11-8 , 11-0.

The mens singles featuring the “Machine Lin Dan” and Anders Boesen.

So far among the European team.. Anders Boesen is the better player to play against Lin Dan. As the Ranked world number one. Lin Dan shows his quickness on court , manage to pick himself up after dives and he was controlling Anders all the times. Lin Dan took the 1set set 15-1.

The 2nd set was much better so to speak. With the crowd behind Boesen. He manage to get some points off Lindan. Actually Lin Dan can wrap the match fast. But Zhang Ning again was instructing him not so fast… 5 more minutes. Lin Dan was playing around when he reached match point. But still Anders is struggling. He even slipped and bumped his pelvic bone. As a warrior he stood up and the crowds was giving him cheers!.. Finally Lin Dan finish the game off at 15-6.

Team Asia Won this memorable events. Both team will surely be back if they are invited again next year. And I’m sure it will happen again.

The crowd was marvelous. Thanks to MVP that this event happens. During the prize presentation , the Man himself was presented a Framed poster with all the players signature and also Team Shirt signed by both team members. Btw the final day was his Birthday as well.

Well there capped off yet another event. After witnessing the pros playing on court , I’m sure all the Filipinos will be more motivated to play badminton.

Ants

2. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    Some pics post celebration

Attached Files:

3. DaN_fAn

DaN_fAn Regular Member

Nice review ants ,but you promised us more pics!Interested in seeing some action pics of Kennie and Kennevic.do post them.