Article: 50 strings later.... what have I learned?

Discussion in 'vBCms Comments' started by kwun, Oct 2, 2010.

1. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
  2. Kiloo

Kiloo Regular Member

Engineer
    Hi Kwun,
    I think U got it all pretty well covered. Indeed practice makes perfect but be not the last to try a new tech or a tip here and there. This forum is a gold mine of info.

3. johnlowe88

johnlowe88 Regular Member

IT Consultant
    Hi Kwun,

I would like to add one more, seating position, unless you want to stand. When I was stringing back in the 80's, I had a high stool that I could comfortably sit on, and gave enough clearance from the racquet so that I am looking down, but enough height such that I can reach under and above the strings with both hands, to weave the string.

Back then, I was comfortably stringing 3 racquets each hour (not counting string removal), using a 2 point clamp down drop weight machine. No fancy linear or cam gripper, just the plain silicone rubber ring, that we wind the string onto, then push a small loop under the string, and tension. With 2 point supports, we can pre-weave but have to tension alternately to avoid excessive stress on one side of the racquet. The machine by the way is the "Strings All" designed by Rick Pray back in 1977. I still have it but the rubber has more or less perished and I have difficulty getting replacements.

4. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    Wow. A very experienced stringer! A very good point about sitting position. Sometimes I get back ache from an hour of stringing. I have to find the right posture and seat height.

5. toomanyracquets

toomanyracquets Regular Member

Logistics for Caterpillar
    Hi Kwun,

Like you I have hated pre-weaveing the whole racquet. However inspired by your comments I am going to try pre weaving a few holes in front. As for the posture, I too found it difficult to get it right. However I found the perfect platform which to work from. I have the machine on top of the ironing board.... Seems perfect and is height adjustable.

Thanks for the tips.

Chris

6. Thintowelgrip

Thintowelgrip Regular Member

Badminton Trainer
    Hey Kwun. Where can you buy flying clamps and how do they work. i really dont get how they hold the string

7. crawshaws

crawshaws Regular Member

Engineer
    Thank you Kwun, great post. I'm learning most of these tips the hard way! I'm still undecided on the full pre-weave or not...I'll try your suggestion of partial pre-weave. MyBadmintonStore have excellent (and low price) flying clamps.

8. RichieKunZ

RichieKunZ Regular Member

Student
    there is a string on my local badminton store almost same like you man...he string really fast omg....only take like 25~30min....I sure you can do better after 100 Racquets.....btw Congratz !

9. Aladeen

Aladeen New Member

What kind of stringing metode do you use Kwun? Do you make 4 or 2 knots? I prefer only to make 2 knots. After my experience it makes it easier when you are weaving.