Are you flat-footed?

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by kwun, Sep 12, 2003.

?

Are you flat-footed?

1. Yes.

4 vote(s)
    100.0%
  2. No.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Every Avenue

Every Avenue New Member

A highschool student
    Ok so ive been flat footed all my life and i could never understand why my i would get re-occuring ankle sprains and why my knee kept on hurting or either why i was so bad at balancing and long jump.
    I found out late last year since i visited a physio, since all of the doctors ive visted couldnt detect the problem i have.
    so I got prescribed Custom othotics and continued to play badminton.
    during sessions my knee pain will start to accumulate and i would have to sit out.
    I also find that i am not be able to turn and sashay around the court fast enough.
    I hate these disadvantages, and i am glad that i'm not the only one.

#281 Every Avenue, Jun 20, 2009
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2009
  2. Gemcat

Gemcat Regular Member

Airport Employee
    I'm flat footed but I find that if I wear sport socks (The ones where they have elastic cotton to tide your mid-foot and extra cushioning), it feels and fits very nicely inside badminton shoes. But my feets are pretty sweaty... Anyway to counter that?

3. springsoles

springsoles New Member

I play with a bloke who is flatfooted and it doesn't seem to be much of a problem for him. We both started around the same time and we are of similar skill now.

I guess it's like anything, if you are naturally gifted there isn't much that can hold you back.

4. gamepurpose

gamepurpose Regular Member

unemployeed
    I always thought this thread asking when you play badminton, are you a flat foot or not. And I always thought the definition for flat-foot is whenever the bird is on the other side, you'll tend to relax and just flat your foot on the ground. Instead of the hill being off the ground so you have a better reaction and shorter time to take off from your spot to the bird.
    Because I was told that on your toe when playing. But of course, only when I'm in the mood of aggresive play. if not then yes I am a flat foot player.

5. waiwai8

waiwai8 Regular Member

Policy & Research Coordinator
    u can also try sorbothane insoles to help absorb impact and wear nike dri fit socks to reduce sweating

6. ah_lee_ba_ba

ah_lee_ba_ba Regular Member

Freelance
    Just read a runnning shoe magazine and come across such a website about choosing shoe. Very informative where it shows the pronation type.
    http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-240-319-327-7727-0,00.html
    Generally speaking, it acts about the same way. After some reading, you will find that basically indoor shoes are good for gripping on the floor, allows more friction thus allows us to have more control. However, because manufacturer, generally speaking produces 'mass-volume' for average majority, thus the insole is suitable for neutral foot sole, not a good insole for flat-footed or over-arching foot. My recommendation is that, replace the insole which suited your foot best. You feet will find having a better grip on the floor, as well as comfortable feeling from the insole.
    Yes, I read some readers has blisters or some 'toe'-free rooms when wearing shoes. Just dont wear thin socks. Choose a shoe which suits your feet more, if you have broader size in the front of your feet, you can choose brands that has broader size, like brooks. Just to share some experience. :)

7. SibugiChai

SibugiChai Regular Member

YAB
    I heard that some adidas shops do helps client to check for suitabilty !

8. Avnish

Avnish Regular Member

Student
    haha im flat footed but am in z national tean......muahahhahahhahahahahhahhah

[​IMG]

9. ghooga

ghooga Regular Member

Bean Counter, Student
    I'm flat-footed but that hasn't stopped me in any sports (badminton, soccer, basketball, etc) . I'm faster and more agile than most of my peers. In badminton, I don't step fully on my feet. I move around on my front soles most of the time. Thus, the front of my shoes' outsoles wear out most of the time. I think one's athlete is more important than anything else. I run on the treadmill 4 to 5 times a week, spending at least 45 mins each time, running at least 5 miles.

10. Addict123

Addict123 Regular Member

I'm not flatfooted, but I use Finger Shoes for a while now (for running and leisure time, not for Badminton - I tried, but the blisters are too awful).

Anyhow. If you read forums on those "shoes" (they aren't really shoes), one recurring theme is often that for flat-footed people, the additional work the foot has to deliver tends to cure or at least improve flat-footedness after a while (months, I assume).

I love them for running - since I do, I notice muscles in places I never noticed before (calves, feet...); and you automatically adopt a forward stance (on the ball of the foot instead of the heel). Since I use them, I've definitely become much quicker in Badminton as well, since I never ever get caught standing on my heels; standing/running on your balls in the ready position just gets second nature.

Has anyone here experience with them?

11. Trmun

Trmun Regular Member

You can't cure flat-footedness, as you can't remake the arch, so that forum fires off some BS...

On topic - I've actually got the opposite problem: my right foots arch is too high which means I've got less foot to stand on, resulting in my right foot always (even when I walk) being turned outwards.

I've been told numerous times that my footwork should suck because of it and that I shouldn't be able to play badminton since I've got asthma as well - but as someone else said; practice makes your overcome :)

12. AurorAX

AurorAX Regular Member

Biotech Sales / Marketing
    No I'm glad that I'm not! :p

13. geewhiz

geewhiz Regular Member

become a better badminton Player
    I am extremely flat footed. Sooo flat am I –
    that when I get out of a swimming pool and walk around—the wet imprint of my foot is dry in the center
    ---yes—really. Wet all the way around the top, bottom, and sides---and dry in the center—both feet

--just like a plunger or suction cup-- now that is flat—Jack—
    Wonder if I could walk straight up a wall?

Spider Man here I come---

Yet, at the same time, I have never experienced any problems with or with out shoes.
    Fortunately I am very athletic and was
    raised to be an athlete--- University Scholarship –
    Played and coached Tennis at the College level-
    ---in Track—ran the 100 and Long Jump.

14. geewhiz

geewhiz Regular Member

become a better badminton Player
    What I mean is--I don't believe my extreme flat "footed-ness" created any problems.
    I have heard many people w/ high arches or fallen arches complain about shoes that don't fit and/or have problems w/ their feet. Luckily I can wear the cheapest, poorest fitting shoes and never experience any foot problems--oh, and I have asthma also-and
    it has never stop my training.---So does this confuse the topic more??

15. iamyours

iamyours Regular Member

Administrative Assistant
    I'm a flat-footed person.. hehehehe...

16. simplejoys

simplejoys Regular Member

i don't leave footprints in the sand... only toe prints and heels...

17. midtownace

midtownace Regular Member

I'm not sure how the whole flat footed arguement ties into everything, but atleast alot of it can be compensated by being in tip top shape

18. dlsk07

dlsk07 Regular Member

Student
  19. Match Reporter

Match Reporter Regular Member

Actually - you can in the majority of cases. Whilst custom orthotics can give some remodelling of the foot if worn at a young age, increasingly used is a simple procedure called subtalor artheroesis or hypocure implant, which is a small stent fitted into the sinus tarsi process of the subtalor joint, which effectively prevents the excessive stresses caused by extreme range pronation from flattening the foot at mid-stance. The procedure has been used for 10+ years in the USA and UK with excellent results. We are performing these procedures on juvenille and paediatric flat foot as well as adult acquired flat foot - most recently on a 23 y/o olympic 400m hurdler with superb results!

20. ilostmybrain

ilostmybrain Regular Member

Student
    Severely flat footed, my arch literally just caved in.....i got used to it, went from being the second worst player in elementary to the best doubles player in my current junior year in highschool, just saying, you will get used to it eventually, it took me errrrr, 4 years xP