Are 2 persons allowed to stand in 1 box during service?

Discussion in 'Rules / Tournament Regulation / Officiating' started by unregistered, May 23, 2002.

1. Californian

Californian Regular Member

When we are the receiving team in doubles, when our partner is the one being served to, I think most of us straddle the center line (i.e., one foot on each side) about 1-2 ft. in front of the T. This is based on the assumption that the partner will make some kind of aggressive shot and stay at the net. If you have a partner who lifts to the back all the time, you may position yourself on the other half, already in a defensive position. The point is, the receiver's partner should position him/herself in the best position for the return, so I just can't see any benefit for both players to stand on the same side.

I have seen some unorthodox things, though. I've seen mens' and ladies' doubles teams where one player was so much better in the back and the other was so much better at the net that they played mixed style. I've even seen matches involving kids where two players were assigned together, but their levels of skill were so disparate that, for the sake of winning, the better player had the partner only play the serve and then basically stay out of the way, playing one-on-two during the rally.

2. raymond

raymond Regular Member

Top Secret
    I thought that this is mostly used when your partner is serving. If your
    partner is receiving, you would want to stand on your side, very close
    (almost next to) the center line, but with your non-racket foot forward.

This stance, I think, serves two purposes:
    1. If your partner is flicked served, you'd not get in your partner's way,
    as the reaction time is short.
    2. You're in a position, ready to rush into the net, should your be flick or
    high served. This rotation needs to happen instantaneous in order for
    your side to maintain attack.

3. Californian

Californian Regular Member

I see your point. I'll try that next time and see how it works for me.

I guess I should be more careful when speaking for others.;)