Anyone return back to badminton after ACL surgery?

Discussion in 'Injuries' started by feng5321, Apr 24, 2019.

1. feng5321

feng5321 New Member

Fully tore my ACL last Christmas, and am getting surgery this summer. Im wondering if anyone ever returned back to their pre-injury state/skill level.

2. bbmars

bbmars Regular Member

Technical offier
    Yes, in fact went back to game at slower pace some 3 weeks later without realising left ACL was gone. MRI result came out a week later, I chicken out.

Stop playing until I was discharged from physio treatment some 10 weeks later. I am still playing but slowing down due to age and also... be careful. I didn't go for surgical repair, so there are some risk involve. I am finding out as day goes by... it does not help that I am into my late 50s... so all the more, important to avoid injury. I used to be an advance player, but now... I can only say... my level of game is mostly intermediate at most except the skill... reluctant to run, playing less intense game, avoid injury, etc..., Can be a let down to some of the players I used to played against. Occasionally, friends still finds that "hero" in me .. only occasionally, just a gimmick of time past. Apart from that... I am just no body.... just enjoy my game, no longer the sort after players of my time.

only word for you, enjoy your game, can improve, by all means, but when reach your limit, be it. Just be yourself.
    health is more important.... especially when you age, all sort of problem to sip in and affect your daily life
    Wish you all the best.

Edwinwal likes this.
  3. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    @bbmars

Wow. Be careful. There is the social aspect of playing. Enjoy the game with friends.

4. Pagz

Pagz Regular Member

It took me about 2 years after the ACL surgery to get back to my old level. It heavily depends on your age and motivation of course, but generally ACL surgery is no reason to stop playing badminton.

Clay-more likes this.
  5. bbmars

bbmars Regular Member

Technical offier
    I decided not to opt for surgery. I was given a date, but decided against it just 1 week before my deadline to confirm surgery date.

Perhaps, it might be good should I decide to maintain that level of play. However, I was already nearing 50 then and was contemplating whether to consider playing that kind of game. Very punishing for, and aching over after every game... knee cap wearing fast and. I was reminded that one of my ligament was giving way anytime, but I guess it never sank into my head till my ACL was gone. On that same leg, I had a hair line crack on my cartilage when I was 34 also due to badminton, knee bended outward.... MC for more than 1 month. Since then, I stopped playing badminton. The left leg was good except for the unwanted, unexpected, don't know when, due to leg movement, .. ... sensational nerve pain. Why? Doctor removed the hairline crack with a cut away. That has resulted in occasional nerves getting in the gap and being pressed onto due to movement. I just dropped onto the ground without control. I was told it was essential if he don't removed the hairline crack, it will lead to... messy condition and crack may propagate

Anyway, I started playing again at 42 because I could not do any jogging. Any continuous running hurt my heal badly. Did it once and ended up with 2 weeks pain. Doctor asked me to avoid doing so. That's why I ended up playing badminton again.

Now, I am calling quit for any competition game since 50, but my colleagues often drag my name in without my consent.... Simple reason because I am still better than many of them even with my handicap.. but I really don't fancy any more such high tempo game.... wearing my knee out. even during leisure game, I often opt out playing high intensity game. Just for enjoyment and health... I am the oldest player around, the next older player is 7 years my junior. I am often placed to play mixed or men's double instead of playing in my age group.... that's the problem... I am weary of my knee giving way

Edwinwal likes this.
  6. Shan Shane

Shan Shane New Member

If you're injured it's recommended not to play for a while unless you have something at stake like here. He was injured yet he had to go on..

7. Swaroop KP

Swaroop KP Regular Member

Got ACL tear on my right knee on July 3rd, since then tried to manage day to day activities (no badminton) without surgery. Finally made my mind and got the ACL recontruction surgery done on 11th Dec. Now iam starting with physio since last week. Starting to walk 10 steps limping as of now. Need advice from anyone who had undergone the same. Iam now 41 yrs

8. MattG

MattG New Member

Came across this thread accidentally, signed up to post a reply because this happened to me.
    Tore my ACL while playing badminton, awkward landing from side-way jumping. MRI showed full tear in right ACL.
    Decided to do surgery, they took a muscle fibre from my hamstring and replaced the ACL, using the double bundle method.
    Slow road to recovery, took about 8-9 mths to get back to normal walking without brace... slightly over a year to get back running and then a few months later back to badminton.
    Had my operation in 2013 (I was 28 years old then), by 2 - 3 years i was back to playing 100% competitive badminton (local B grade badminton level).
    In my experience, the most important factor to getting back to as close to normal is the initial rehab and physio in the 1st 6 months after the operation. It is very slow, tedious (my muscle tone went down significantly post-op) process but think long-term.

No regrets having the ACL surgery.

michael5098 and Cheung like this.
  9. Swaroop KP

Swaroop KP Regular Member

Thanks for the response.
    Some updates from my side after almost 4 months:
    1. Started walking normally for around 3KMs in 30 mins
    2. Started car driving and bike riding since 2 weeks
    3. Still feel uneasy just below the operated knee, kind of numbness and hard (feel like some stick is present)
    4. Weekly once physio is ongoing with strengthening & stretching exercises for hamstrings, calf, glutes.