Anyone else thinks the world tour finals has lost it’s charm

Discussion in '2021 Tournaments' started by backhand_slice_drop, Nov 26, 2021.

1. backhand_slice_drop

backhand_slice_drop Regular Member

Before world tour began in 2018, we used to have super series finals. Only players who’ve done well in the 12 super series used to qualify. Since superseries were the highest tier of tournaments most top players were actively playing well in those tournaments and the rankings reflected the performance of players in that year. But these days it seems like it just benefits players who play more tournaments as every tournament is included.

Should it be like in tennis where the year end finals are just top 8 in the world rankings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

terrynguyen121988 likes this.
  2. terrynguyen121988

terrynguyen121988 Regular Member

agree, this is what the "final" tournament

3. Nine Tailed Fox

Nine Tailed Fox Regular Member

They year end finals in tennis has the same qualification criteria as in badminton.

Top 8 in race to turin, and the race points can be earned from any tier of tournaments.

#3 Nine Tailed Fox, Nov 27, 2021
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2021
  4. vozer here

vozer here Regular Member

every year, always a bunch of retiring, walk over, not attending, way higher than other touneys. Ssf/wtf doesnt attract so much for top players

5. sen

sen Regular Member

The difference is that most of top tennis players mostly depend on the prize money for their earnings and after that sponsors and lastly the country tennis organization whereas most of top badminton players depend on their country badminton organization first for their earnings and later sponsor and lastly the prize money

So doing it like tennis is not going to have the same impact.

Anyway, in my opinion world tour final for both tennis and badminton are really just another tournament. In tennis, some top players will also skip due to fatigue or injury. The best for both sport is to encourage more open tournament and by open for badminton it really has to be open and not restricted by the country organization. Right now, even if some pro players want to play, they need permission

6. cococo

cococo Regular Member

I agree there should be more open tournaments. I saw some International Challenge tournaments and some players already won like 3 to 4 IC in a single year and still aren't even in the top 60 in world ranking. While some players don't win as much but because they started earlier,join more tournaments and accumulate more points,they can rank high. It's hard for players who are coming up and also for talented players who don't have resources to join many tournaments. Well,not that I think players who don't win tournaments don't deserve their rank,as I know there is a big gap between top level tournaments and smaller tournaments but at the same time I do feel like if a player shows potential in winning he or she should get a chance to play in big tournaments despite the rank.

They should have qualifying for larger tournaments like they do for IC. This will allow talented players who maybe don't get the chance to enter a lot of tournaments at an early age due to funding issues to come up faster and it's more fair.

Sent from my SM-A307GN using Tapatalk

#6 cococo, Nov 27, 2021
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2021
  7. backhand_slice_drop

No, its taken as best 10 results of any level like the badminton world rankings.

8. Nine Tailed Fox

Nine Tailed Fox Regular Member

Bruh, I follow tennis 730 days a year, 60 days a month. I need not be corrected.

The Race to Turin rankings (Turin is the place where ATP finals take place) is different from World Tennis Rankings.

Those who are Top 8 in the Race to Turin rankings by the end of year qualify for ATP World Tour Final.

The points for Race to Turin can be earned through any tier of events be it ATP 250, ATP 500, ATP 1000 and Gand Slams.

9. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    You're Dr Strange!

Nine Tailed Fox likes this.
  10. CLELY

CLELY Regular Member

This is what most badminton fans concerned that I posted on 2018 World Tour Finals thread : https://www.badmintoncentral.com/fo...up-stage-matches-final-12-16-december.179288/

upload_2021-11-28_11-17-52.png

11. backhand_slice_drop

Yes but the top 8 in the race to turin are definitely top 8.

12. samkool

samkool Regular Member

too pre-occupied to work
  13. samkool

samkool Regular Member

too pre-occupied to work
  14. vozer here

vozer here Regular Member